Send Topic Print
My restoration (Read 48 times)
1geo1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My restoration
08/02/20 at 19:02:39

It started as a take apart the least amount, do some paint, WTH, I just wanted it to run, now I am actually looking at a frame off.   Anyone been there ?  Yikes !  I need all of you now,  lol?  Actually yeah, I need you guys/girls .  Oh, most important , 2004,  7k us on the odo.  650 Savage, of course having carb problems ( too rich, better than too lean )   did the spacer and all of the tricks, btw  Wink    My idle screw does nothing, even when I turn it all the way down.
               More fun facts, all of the body is off but I can still make it run with my temp setup.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My restoration
Reply #1 - 08/02/20 at 19:10:13

My idle screw does nothing, even when I turn it all the way down.

Idle screw doesnt change rpm on it?

Ot Idle AIR screw>?

Idle air requires a Low Idle and a warmed up motor,,
Dont leave it on the sidestand,, idling,,

What is
All the way DOWN??

AS IN,, RPM should be dropping?
Screwed all the way in?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
1geo1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/02/20 at 19:19:23

From what I heard, it is really bad to leave rpm low, so, right now, I can not do that, I need to do my paint and bodywork,  however, I have structured a secure fuel tank for testing.   I can get yhe bike to run well but it is not happy on a rev,  lots of backfire, lots off lag in throttle

IP Logged
1geo1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/02/20 at 19:28:18

screw all the way in, nothing, no change, is time to rebuild my factory carb and start over ?  

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 08/02/20 at 21:26:52

You can't ride it now that you have the tank off.

It needs to be properly warmed up and then with the idle set very low adjust the idle mixture for best idle. After you have set the idle mixture screw adjust the idle up to the proper speed 1200 RPM, more but not less. Don't ask me how since you don't have a tach. It should idle smoothly and not anywhere near to stalling. Higher is better than lower for the idle speed.

I have a tachometer on my bike and I set it around 1500/1600 RPM. No problem.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/03/20 at 04:28:01

Adjusting the idle fuel mixture screw requires you to set the idle down around 800 rpm.  This should only be done on a warm motor, with the bike held vertical (not on the side stand).

When the idle is up around the recommended 1,100 rpm, the engine is not only getting fuel from the idle circuit, it is also getting fuel/air mixture from the needle jet circuit - this prevents you from being able to adjust the idle mixture.

Warm the bike up thoroughly by going on a 10 minute ride, then while holding the bike upright drop the idle speed down, then adjust the mixture screw.  If you can turn the screw all the way in and the engine still runs smoothly you need a small pilot jet.  If you can turn the screw more than 3 turns out and the engine still runs smooth you need a larger pilot jet.  If the smoothest running occurs at 1.5 - 2.5 turns out then the pilot jet is correct.

The pilot jet most likely should be a #50 or #52.5 - I feel that a #55 is just too big and is never really necessary.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 20:19:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My restoration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.