Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ryca Mini Tach Replacement (Read 131 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Ryca Mini Tach Replacement
08/01/20 at 00:10:53

I have seen several posts asking for help procuring a Ryca Mini Tach.  Seems Ryca is perpetually out-of-stock.  I have a Ryca Mini Tach and it started acting up.  I was concerned.  That tachometer is the heart of my testing program.  I must have a tach to evaluate my performance mods.

The search was on.  Sure enough, the Ryca website listed the mini tach as out-of-stock.  I also noticed that the price was reduced from $59 to $25, always a bad sign.

After a bit of scrounging, I came up with what appeared to be a suitable replacement.  The Savage needs a tach that counts a spark every 360°of crankshaft rotation, commonly referred to as “dual-fire”.

I found a Drag Specialties unit that looked identical to the Ryca unit, and since it required an adapter to install it in a “single-fire” application I figured it must be a “dual-fire” tach.  Part number is DS 2211-0057 (black face) or DS 2211-0058 (white face).  Chanceum.  I ordered the black face unit.

While I was waiting for the new tach, I went through my wire connections.  I didn’t find anything wrong.  I suspect I had a loose or dirty connection because the hula tach went away.  It was all good.  That was fine with me.  Since I rely on the instrument, it will be nice to have a spare readily available.  Just have to make sure it works correctly.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Ryca Mini Tach Replacement
Reply #1 - 08/01/20 at 00:11:57

The tach arrived about one week later.  It comes in a nice box.

DS_Tach_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 08/01/20 at 00:12:32

It looks exactly like the Ryca mini tach.  Like every detail is exactly the same except for the face plate.

DS_Tach_42.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 08/01/20 at 00:13:13

Since the existing Ryca tach was working OK, I did a temporary install of the Drag Specialties unit.  Just wanted to do a quick and dirty test to make sure it worked correctly.

DS_Tach_52.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 08/01/20 at 00:14:22

The Drag Specialties unit works just fine.  It is essentially the same as the Ryca unit.  Wouldn’t surprise me if they are made by the same company.

So, if you need a tach and you like the Ryca mini tach, the Drag Specialties tach is a perfect replacement.  It costs $75 but at least it’s in stock.  I got mine from Dennis Kirk.  If you google the part number, you will find it at other DS dealers.  Be careful, they also offer a “single-fire” unit that looks identical.  That won’t work.  It must be a “dual-fire” unit, 2211-0057 or 2211-0058.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 08/01/20 at 01:31:19

Good stuff , Thanks Mike
Usually my blurring vision tells me I’m at or very near redline

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 08/01/20 at 03:21:40

I think that tach is also available fro dime city motors... without the logo.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #7 - 08/01/20 at 06:42:55

The price sure is right, but Ive had the needle fall of those and have to replace them usually after a year of driving in weather and absorbing all the vibration these single cylinders dish out. So just keep in mind what to expect.

Oh yeah, another one just locked up and turned into a high speed clock from then on.  That was the speedo version of the same gauge.

WWW   IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #8 - 08/01/20 at 11:44:06

Where does is connect to the electrical system? I had a lot of trouble connecting directly to the low voltage side of my ignition coil.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 08/01/20 at 13:32:36

That gauge cluster looks like it could be on a Nazi U boat...  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #10 - 08/01/20 at 16:55:57

RocketScienceSmurf wrote on 08/01/20 at 11:44:06:
Where does is connect to the electrical system? I had a lot of trouble connecting directly to the low voltage side of my ignition coil.

There's a method for connecting it in this thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1511551303

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 08/02/20 at 12:31:39

Hey Serowbot, I spent many an hour on the deckplates logging data.  I have a fetish for instruments.  Your picture brings back fond memories.  I think I'm gonna install four or five valves around those instruments.  Handhweels of various size painted various colors with label plates.  Then in the morning, before throwing a leg over it, I can do a big valve line-up before I fire it up.  Let's see if I remember correctly, red for fuel, yellow for lube oil, blue for fresh water, green for salt water....... Roll Eyes

Kamelryttarn, that link that IslandRoad provided will get the job done. It's really cool that the author took the time to include all the pictures and notes.

I prefer to keep all the connections in the headlight shell.  That way, the wires do not get pulled on as the handlebars are turned.  I tie the red & blue power wires on the tach into the dark green 12V supply to the amber running lights.  The black ground wire on the tach to the black & white headlight ground wire.  I run a pigtail from the ignition coil black & yellow wire into the headlight shell.  Then I attach the green wire from the tach to that pigtail.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #12 - 08/02/20 at 19:52:28

Here's a link to a cheaper and also identical one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/350956583289

IP Logged