Send Topic Print
Carb re-build help (Read 168 times)
OldTimahRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb re-build help
07/28/20 at 06:51:22

I have a 2012 Savage. 13k original miles. (I am 2nd owner, purchaced w/ 300 mi, so I can attest that Mikuni carb and exhaust are original and unaltered.) Always ran great until a couple of days ago. A couple of minutes after a fuel fillup, started to stall. Wouldn't get past idle. Re-started a few times, ran great again, went on my journey. (Attributed to load of bad fuel?) When time to return from my trip (50 mi), wouldn't start or run past idle again. Smelled raw fuel. Saw some coming from air filter. Dried it, re-examined OK, went on my way no problems. Of course I suspect carb problems. Stuck or leaky float? Dirty or damaged needles/jets? Ordered a carb re-build kit from DENNISKIRK.COM ("PARTS UNLIMITED" # 1003-1386). My research tells me that I need a JIS screwdriver for the float bowl screws (5mm-0.80 x 16mm Pan head bolts) because this screw driver makes a better "bite" into these Japanese designed screw heads, not rouding them off. I want to order JIS screwdriver(s). My question is, what size would I need? Am I better off ordering a set of various sizes for elsewhere on the bike? Gunk to clean parts? Any suggestions for my re-build? I'm more of a rider than a tinkerer, and haven't done this before (except on a BRIGGS/STRATTON lawn mower enjine.) Also, I will have a friend who has done this before helping me. Thanx all, OldTimahRider

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Carb re-build help
Reply #1 - 07/28/20 at 07:17:01

I have never had a problem using a standard Phillips head screwdriver on JIS screws. You just need to grind the point down a little bit.

Grind it down until it fits snugly into  the screw head. If you want to get serious go ahead and buy the proper thing but I don't think there is any difference in the end. I have used a ground down driver on some really tight screws with no problem.

I replaced all the screws on my carb. with Allen head SS screws. Not really necessary but nice anyway.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/28/20 at 07:24:16

Dynojet kits do not work well with our carb/engine and they charge way too much.
Should have asked here first, just $30 for genuine Mikuni jets that do work.
Check your petcock, set it on prime and see if it works for you without leaking through the carb.  
Also, check to see if you have fuel in the oil.  It can happen when the petcock starts failing.  If its bad get a Yamaha Raptor petcock, they don't fail.  Part #'s are listed on this site.

IP Logged
OldTimahRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/28/20 at 07:38:38

Thanx. Didn't know anything about Dynajet. Seller claimed this kit has original needles, as well as other upgrades to materials used, and I went with that. (Wasn't a member yet to SuzukiSavage forum unfortunately.) Leaking occured just that one time. And I thought a complete rebuild kit made more sense to me, not knowing yet what exactly was the problem. I will check the things you mentioned. Thanx again.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/28/20 at 07:48:02

OldTimahRider wrote on 07/28/20 at 07:38:38:
Thanx. Didn't know anything about Dynajet. Seller claimed this kit has original needles, as well as other upgrades to materials used, and I went with that. (Wasn't a member yet to SuzukiSavage forum unfortunately.) Leaking occured just that one time. And I thought a complete rebuild kit made more sense to me, not knowing yet what exactly was the problem. I will check the things you mentioned. Thanx again.

If it is the petcock, when you ride use the prime position and when not turn it off, or it will leak more.  

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 07/28/20 at 11:31:11

norm92de wrote on 07/28/20 at 07:17:01:
I replaced all the screws on my carb. with Allen head SS screws. Not really necessary but nice anyway.

Yes, do this! You will be glad you did. I do this on all my toys and if you ever need to get into the bowl with it on the bike you can undo the allen bolts but it isn't as easy and trustworthy to do phillips that way since you will either strip the screws taking them off and/or can't really tighten them properly going back on.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 07/28/20 at 13:26:23

Had my bowl off over the weekend just to check it.

Somebody mentioned a plastic float but mine is brass, 2014.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/28/20 at 15:22:04

Anti-sieze is your friend,, just a dab on threads to keep stuff from growing together,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
OldTimahRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/29/20 at 07:12:37

As suggested by others in this forum, I would like to purchace a service manual for my 2012 LS650. I came up with 2 possibilities:

(From SUZUKI site, digital download for $16.95) - says SUZUKI SERVICE MANUAL FOR LS650 SAVAGE 1986-2009 (mine is a 2012)

(From BARNES/NOBLE, hard copy for $36.95) - says CLYMER MAINT/TROUBLE/REPAIR for LS650 SAVAGE (1986-1988, 1995-2004) and (2005-2015)

Could I please get some input/recomendations on these two choices?

thanx, OldTimahRider

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #9 - 07/29/20 at 07:29:20

I have both the Suzuki and the Clymers. Best money I ever spent.

Just one hour of labour saved will pay for both.

Any one of your choices will work just fine. Plus you have all the expertise on this site.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/29/20 at 12:15:29

Clymers has at least one mistake,, I THINK it says to turn the engine the wrong way when youre doin the cam chanin stuff,, NOt sure,, BUt I know Clymers has at least one misteake,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 07/30/20 at 00:14:58

try your local library! mine has the clymer!  Cool

IP Logged
OldTimahRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/30/20 at 11:48:41

I ran the "prime and cap test" for my carb problem. Ran great as always for about 3 miles, then failed again. (Couldn't get past minimal throttle openeing; no fuel in vac line or in oil; no leaking of fuel anywhere.) Not sure if I can rule out petcock problem or not, or is carb suspect?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/30/20 at 12:09:00

OldTimahRider wrote on 07/30/20 at 11:48:41:
I ran the "prime and cap test" for my carb problem. Ran great as always for about 3 miles, then failed again. (Couldn't get past minimal throttle openeing; no fuel in vac line or in oil; no leaking of fuel anywhere.) Not sure if I can rule out petcock problem or not, or is carb suspect?

"Couldn't get past minimal throttle openeing" means what?
you twist the throttle and...
a) it starts backfiring
b) it goes blah and does nothing
c) it quits and dies
or something else

WWW   IP Logged
OldTimahRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/30/20 at 12:13:16

If I twist throttle, mostly backfires with minimal throttle. Quits and dies with more throttle

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:34:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb re-build help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.