Send Topic Print
Baffled (Read 136 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Baffled
07/27/20 at 06:47:59

Bike sounded a little louder than usual when starting this morning.  Not ridiculous but...different maybe.  Thought maybe it just seemed that way since I've been driving my truck for the past 6 days or so.  Maybe my imagination.  But then I jumped on the freeway this morning and it really seemed loud.  Got quieter after a bit so I though I'd lost the hearing in my right ear!  Jumped on the throttle a little to pass a car and it sounded different than ever.  Alternated between sounding like a straight pipe and quieter than usual so thought maybe the baffle had blown loose and sometimes slipped into position to block the pulses.  Anyway, motor too was hot when I got to work to check anything other than visual.  Will check the nuts at the outlet before riding home and wiggle the header joint.  In the meantime, tried to snap a pick down the barrel to get some thoughts from y'all.  Looks a little odd to me up in the back of the muffler.  Any thoughts?
Seems to be running OK.
« Last Edit: 07/27/20 at 09:29:39 by Tocsik »  

baffle_002.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Baffled
Reply #1 - 07/27/20 at 11:34:19

What a cool picture.  Really provides the details of the interior of the muffler.  Looks to me like the wall of the baffle melted.  There's a huge hole in the wall and what appears to be a ball of slag laying in the hole.  That thing gets hot.  Is it a Dyna muffler with catalyst?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 07/27/20 at 12:37:24

It's a regular Dyna.  Fortunately, I bought the pair so I can put the other one on.  This one only has about 22K miles on it.  Do Harley's blow 'em out like this, too?  Can it be fixed without drilling the outer chrome?
I had to raise my phone up a bit b/c of sun glare or I could have got up inside a bit more I think.
Gonna be a LOUD ride home  Shocked

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/27/20 at 12:50:48

I had the same problem at about the same mileage.

this was for the stock muff, but it could be applied for the dyna
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1526453881/0

If I remember correctly, the center baffle tube is a slip fit at the front, and welded at the back.  It has a centered blocking plate that will redirect the flow into the muffler.  The perforated tube can be purchased in many diameters.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 07/28/20 at 06:52:51

Harley Dyna with cat after a 2 hour interstate ride. And my bike is tuned slightly rich. Yep, it gets hot in there...

20191005_202632_002.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 07/28/20 at 07:12:48

Cripes!  Looks like a forging furnace in there.

As an update, the ride home was interesting.  Bike initially started up loud; like a straight pipe sound.  As I rode, something shifted into position and the exhaust went nearly silent.  Very unsettling.  I babied it a bit to be sure there wasn't too much back pressure somehow but acceleration etc. seemed fine.  Downshifting and slowing for stops would dislodge things again and the first second of acceleration each time would be loud until whatever moved back into position and the bike had the same super-quiet stealth mode.  Seriously, quieter than the stock muffler.
I removed the exhaust last night to check things out and found the plug at the end of the baffle is loose and rattling around.
A couple pics of it in different positions.  Plus the cool, spiral screen at the other end.

baffle_plug_collage.jpg

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 07/28/20 at 07:17:51

stewmills wrote on 07/28/20 at 06:52:51:
Harley Dyna with cat after a 2 hour interstate ride. And my bike is tuned slightly rich. Yep, it gets hot in there...

Your muffler has a Fiery Red Interior !
Or is that a Warp Drive Unit ?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 07/28/20 at 11:27:05

LANCER wrote on 07/28/20 at 07:17:51:
Your muffler has a Fiery Red Interior !
Or is that a Warp Drive Unit ?

No, that's the "PRESS HERE for complaints" button  Cheesy

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 07/28/20 at 12:09:24

"Plus the cool, spiral screen at the other end."

That cool spiral screen is the catalyst.  You have a catalyst muffler.  Catalysts run extremely hot by design, and if the mixture is on the rich side, things get even hotter.  A misfire condition will also cause a catalyst to overheat (unburned fuel runs through the hot catalyst and burns in the muffler).

It's very difficult to run a catalyst on a carbureted engine because a carburetor cannot maintain perfect air/fuel ratio over the entire operating range.  Fuel injection solves that problem.  

I would look for an un-catalyzed muffler.  You will be able to run your mixture a tad on the rich side without turning your muffler into a crematorium.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 07/28/20 at 15:04:37

Well that's odd.  I thought only California required the catalyst (for motorcycles).  Not sure why I thought that.  I grew up there and moved away in '95.  I bought these from a local in Denver.  To get back on the road I'll use the other muffler from the pair but will keep this in mind.
Thanks.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 07/28/20 at 15:17:42

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/28/20 at 12:09:24:
"Plus the cool, spiral screen at the other end."

I would look for an un-catalyzed muffler.  You will be able to run your mixture a tad on the rich side without turning your muffler into a crematorium.

Agreed.  I got this for $20 (a pair for $40) local in new condition and knew it was the CAT version despite really wanting one without (I am in AL...dunno why mine has a CAT but it does...maybe someone rode a CA bike down here?).  I figured I would ride it until it started to show blueing on the outside, and that was ~5 years ago and it still looks new on the outside. When this one burns out I will source a non-CAT version on the next go-around.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 07/30/20 at 16:41:53

Tocsik asked :     Do Harley's blow 'em out like this, too?    

Yes , I had a 2007 883 (fuel injected) Sportster.    When it melted I was on the way from Lynchburg Tn. to Mena Ar. (South Central Arkansas) .    The day was hot and I was running 75-80 mph for a long time.
Two weeks later I noticed there was no exaust coming out the rear of the back muffler .   Thank goodness for the cross-over pipe!

I put on a pair of 12" shorties with DB-Killers in them and that was the end of the problem.
I've tried the same mufflers on the S-40 but have found they need a lot of  muffler packing rolled in there on the motor end and then the DB-Killer at the rear.  Don't trust those little bolts that come with the DB-Killers --- the person behind you when they blow out gets mad !   Roll Eyes  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMGO-80-45700-MUFFLER-SLASH-CUT/133334066758?_trkpar...

This is the good stuff .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-SILENCER-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-PACKING-KIT-1-THICK...

They come in a long version too.

« Last Edit: 07/31/20 at 08:09:25 by MMRanch »  

DB_Killer_002.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 06:16:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Baffled

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.