Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are these maintenance items done every 4000 miles? (Read 65 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Are these maintenance items done every 4000 miles?
07/23/20 at 21:33:28

I have a 2015 LS650 and am just about ready to do another valve check/adjustment.  

According to the owner's manual, the Clymer's manual, and the Suzuki shop manual, when the scheduled valve check/adjustment is done, there are also other maintenance items to do.  One of them is to re-torque the 4 cylinder head nuts, the 2 cylinder-head-to-cylinder nuts and the 2 cylinder-to-crankcase nuts.  And to get to the 4 cylinder head nuts, the valve cover has to be removed!

Do any of you really go through this at every valve adjustment?

Unless I have read all three manuals incorrectly, this is what they recommend with the same schedule as the valve adjustment ... around every 4000 miles.  Doesn't seem right to me.  Seems like a tremendous amount of work to do every 4000 miles!

Thanks for any advice you have.
Ron G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Are these maintenance items done every 4000 mi
Reply #1 - 07/23/20 at 22:36:22

I've never done it.
Most don't
It's not necessary.
Perfect opportunity to fix it broke.
Ride it.
If you start by checking valve clearance, and discover the gaps aren't changing much and staying in tolerance, then relax the schedule. Once the adjuster tips mushroom and work harden the gaps really slow down on how fast they change. The third time I did mine the gaps were so close to where I left them I just adjusted one more time and didn't worry about it.. but sold it before I needed to look..
Sure wouldn't be torquing head bolts..
Head gasket failures are almost unheard of. I think I've seen two in the 15 years I've been here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #2 - 07/24/20 at 01:52:49

My GS500 owners manual suggest retorqing the head every 6000km which I do and it while it used to leak a bit at the base it eventually completely stopped.

On the other hand my S40 manual does not say to retorque the cylinder head and I've never done it and it does not leak, so maybe Suzuki know it doesn't need it. I used to do the valves every 6k kms but haven't done it for about 18k kms so far. But I do give the rockers a wiggle to feel that there is some room in there, not the most accurate but it works for me.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 07/24/20 at 07:04:40

Ron,
I have a 2014 and have put over 10K on it. Never touched the head cover and don't intend to any time soon. Smiley

If it isn't broken don't try to repair it.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/26/20 at 12:25:31

Thanks for your input.  Eases my mind.  All that work is unnecessary.

Ron G

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 07/26/20 at 13:47:29

Ron G,
When my bike was under warranty I was a bit uneasy about not doing the cover removal. Anyway, I certainly wasn't going to let anybody else touch it.

Stealerships: How do you know the skills of the particular mechanic? They might put the head cover back on upside down. Smiley

« Last Edit: 07/26/20 at 17:33:07 by norm92de »  

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/26/20 at 14:33:19

I had no idea the oil filter could even be istalled bass ackwards,,
But, If ya try hard enuff,, Yes,, It Can,,
And it will almost every time, cost ya an engine

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 06:52:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Are these maintenance items done every 4000 miles?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.