Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Looking for insight S40 w/sidecar (Read 174 times)
James3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Looking for insight S40 w/sidecar
07/15/20 at 05:53:07

Hello all - new member, new to bikes and potentially buying an S40 this Friday - attaching a photo so you can see it in all its beauty.  
I've found a low mileage one that's advertised as an '06, but I believe it's an '05 based on the VIN - and 5 being the 10th digit.

The bike itself has 3,997 miles on it - it also has a sidecar - which in conversations with the shop its a fairly easy process to remove and reinstall - which I will want to do every now and then.

I tried doing a search in the forums for sidecar and sidehack but only got a few results - google doesn't help me too much either.

From everything I've read - the S40 is a great bike - reliable, perfect for new riders and fairly easy to maintain.  I'm pretty much sold on the bike - but was wondering if any of you have any experience with an S40 and a sidecar?  

The asking price at the dealership is $5,495.00
Which I'm guessing most of that cost is for the sidecar itself, as I've seen a lot of S40's going in the 2-3K area around here (Vermont - private sales).  I'll probably offer a bit less than asking price to see how bad they want to sell it - I'm not sure how long its been there - but my best guess is that its not everyone that wants to buy a sidecar rig.

I asked why the previous owner parted ways and they said it was an older rider who was finding it more difficult to ride these days and they are helping sell it for them.

Thanks in advance - looks to be a lot of knowledgeable folks in this group!

s40_003.jpg
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Looking for insight S40 w/sidecar
Reply #1 - 07/15/20 at 07:17:33

That seems like a very high price. Also make sure the title is proper, it can be a nightmare if there is an anomaly. Good luck. Smiley

Have you ever ridden a sidecar rig?  They are very different from a normal bike, especially accelerating and braking, to say nothing of cornering.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
James3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/15/20 at 07:42:46

I have not ridden a sidecar rig, the sales rep I spoke with via email said the same regarding how different it is vs no sidecar.
I'll have a list of questions for him when I get there and see it in person, one is definitely re: the title and year.

Also, the price - I understand dealer markups but it seems pretty high.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 07/15/20 at 08:24:49

I've never seen a sidecar rig that wasn't expensive. About 20 years ago a good friend of mine use to have an R90 with a sidecar. I rode that bike often giving rides to friends and family. There's no counter-steering a side car rig, it's like riding a quad. You need to put your weight towards the sidecar when turning, especially when making a right. Sidecars are a lot of fun and a good way to share the thrill of open air riding with those that don't like motorcycles. Heck, I took my wife's 90 year old grand mother out...and she kept yelling "go faster".

Regarding the year and VIN, I believe that the VIN shows the year of manufacture, but it is possible that the bike was built as an '05 and titled as '06. As long as the title is clear, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  

Also keep in mind, you are paying a premium for the bike because it's rare and you're buying it from a dealer. If you want it, that's the price. Good luck finding it elsewhere. If you could, find out who did the conversion or which sidecar rig it is...it'd be good to know.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
James3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/15/20 at 09:12:15

I know the shop it's at did the conversion - I didn't get the brand yet though.  I took Friday off from work to go check this out in person and see what I think.  

You're absolutely right in the fact they're rare - I tried searching all over the place and couldn't find much, if anything out there.

That's fantastic about taking the 90yo grandmother out, jeeze, I bet she loved it - feeling the wind in your face like that at that age probably made her feel like she was back in her teens!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/15/20 at 09:37:15

If it doesn't lean through turns, imo, it's no longer a motorcycle. Three wheels and a corner requires never getting in over your head,
If you do this, be extra careful, because you can't get into a corner a little hot and adjust your lean angle and work it out. Right turns want to lift the car and drive you left,, maybe not too bad, unless there is oncoming..
When two wheels is no longer doable, I'll take a beat up Miata,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 07/15/20 at 11:18:03

I get what you're saying Justin, but sidecar bikes are 100% about scenic rides, not thrills. They have a way of adjusting your pace and attitude. All the fun of a Miata, without any of the comfort, safety or protection Smiley

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/15/20 at 11:52:02

I've THOUGHT I was being conservative entering a back country curve and once into it, discovered that the entry was lying to me.
I've had plenty of
Thrills
I wasn't looking for.
I recommend extreme caution for a beginner.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 07/15/20 at 13:09:55

It's worth what people are willing to pay and I haven't as seen many ls650 under the $2k in my area mark as I use to.  

And for reference the 10th digit on my black 2006 is 6 and it's T on my 96.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/15/20 at 13:28:24

Im not sayin they aint sexy.. Or somethng Id like to try out.. I just dont think Id want it for everyday,, because I do enjoy the lean angles and the feel of the turn,, BUt a sidecar is somehow alluring,,
Ya know,, I REALLY thot I wanted a jet ski,, I was almost ready to drop the cash,, then a guy let me ride his,, and it was a solid Hoot,, for about 20 minutes,, In that time Id learned to do about everything short of rolling it and diving it, I could spin it and do whatever else I was seein people do,,

It requires a certain attitude to be a sidecar driver, I dont have it,
Im curious,, James,, WHY do you want a bike?
What is it youre trying to get out of it?

Boy, wouldnt that just solve all the problems of packin for a trip?

I wonder how it goes down the slab,,

IP Logged
James3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/15/20 at 13:49:16

I guess my main reasoning for getting a bike is just for fun!  I grew up with four wheelers, dirt bikes, mopeds and the like and really enjoyed it!  
I've spent my adult life moving around to different states - and am now finally back to VT with a wife and home and I'm not going anywhere else - so I figured now's the time to spend some "fun" money lol
I have a go-fast car - the bike I just want for the freedom and open air experience.  I've always loved the sight of a bike and a sidecar - My wife likes the idea of it- so does the dog lol.  We're in VT, so there'd be a lot of nice scenic drives we could go on with it- we're big in visiting the state parks and it would be a great way to visit them.

I'm not opposed to a "non sidecar" bike - I really hope that this model is easy to remove and reinstall as the dealer says - because I'm sure there'll be days I want to actually ride a "motorcycle"!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/15/20 at 13:56:24

You sound like a good fit then.. Youve ridden 4 wheelers and you know a thing or two about how stuff works at speed in a corner..
Beautiful place for easy rides with the family,, And Everybody loves a dog wearin goggles,, withut fail,,

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 07/15/20 at 16:25:56

I'm not sire what the dealer told you but fitting and removing a sidecar doesn't sound easy or quick. Also, the trail of a sidecar rig is very different from a standard bike. Don't ask me how I know. I did grow up in England where sidecars are considered normal.

Caviet emptor.

« Last Edit: 07/15/20 at 21:30:42 by norm92de »  

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/16/20 at 04:26:34

I am not pro or con a sidecar and I have never ridden one.

Does the sidecar wheel have a brake?  I would guess the panic stop distance is increased dramatically when you have a side car attached and there is not a functioning brake.

I believe I remember seeing an older BMW sidecar rig from the days when bikes had drum brakes and cables.....and the sidecar had a drum brake and a little lever that was just underneath the foot brake pedal on the motorcycle.   When you pushed the rear brake pedal on the motorcycle it also pushed the cable on the sidecar brake.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
James3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/02/20 at 05:52:39

Well, I GOT IT!  and so far I'm loving it.  Been tooling around with the side car - right hand turns are a bit exciting...side car likes to fly and you really have to work to turn- I'm trying to get used to slowing WAY down for those.
Gas mileage, although I haven't done the simple math yet to figure it - is VERY low due to the added sidecar weight.
There are four mounting points that appear to be quite easy to attach/detach the car so I'm probably going to fiddle with that in the next couple weeks to get that off and ride it like a "real" bike lol

Thanks for everyone's input and I'm excited to be part of the Savage family!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 06:13:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking for insight S40 w/sidecar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.