Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust shooting out Carburetor (Read 34 times)
cjjensen1986
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust shooting out Carburetor
07/12/20 at 17:16:49

Weird issue with my '03 savage.  The engine will crank and has compression but won't start.  After about 3 attempts, a pop occurs and exhaust shoots out the carburetor air filter instead of the tailpipe.  

This first occurred back in May.  I checked compression and it was lower but still within spec.  Fearing a valve issue, I had the cylinder head inspected at a machine shop and had the valves serviced.  I replaced the head gasket and reassembled the engine, charged the battery with a charger, and cleaned the carburetor.  Air filter is a Emgo cone.

After all this, it is there is still a pop after 3-4 cranks and exhaust still shoots out the carburetor.  

I am stumped.  It has a straight pipe exhaust and verified it is not blocked.  Timing has also been verified.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks!        

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Exhaust shooting out Carburetor
Reply #1 - 07/12/20 at 20:20:58

If your air filter looks like this...
Cavi Mike wrote on 09/14/12 at 00:54:24:
They block the port for the diaphragm. I didn't even notice this until I pulled the carb off to clean it. I haven't run the bike yet with this filter on so I can't comment on exactly how it affects performance but if you've put one of these cone filters on and have noticed the bike running poorly, you might want to give this a look. The air going into this port controls just about everything on the carb, it's going to cause a problem if it's blocked.

This was the exact cone filter I bought so steer clear of this one if you're in the market.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Filter-for-all-Motorcycle-with-60mm-Engine-Inlet-...

there's your sign.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 06:29:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust shooting out Carburetor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.