Send Topic Print
H/F lift (Read 267 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
H/F lift
07/12/20 at 01:08:53

In the end of May I ordered a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift/table , well it finally showed up Friday. Uncrated & assembled it today. Haven’t put a bike on it yet. It’s ok but I’m not sure if its 1000 lb rating Is totally accurate ! I’ll start with a small bike then work my way up to my sportster. I’m pretty sure the sporty at 505 lbs would be pushing the limit of the lift. Price was $449 if you order online there is a coupon for $100 off , so lift ,tax & shipping was $475 delivered to the door , not bad considering the one I wanted would have been $2k delivered so now I have $1525 to build bikes , Right !  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: H/F lift
Reply #1 - 07/12/20 at 03:16:06

I got one for somewhere around $299 with their sales and coupons about 7 years ago - it took a while to wait for it to go on sale and for them to have one in stock when it was on sale.  It works fine for smaller bikes.  The clamping front wheel chock is a joke, and I never even bolted it up.  The lift works fine for the Savage and bikes around 400 pounds - but with heavy bikes it gets really scary.  I had a 610 pound bike on it......and I didn't lift it up very far as it as was really easy to make the lift wiggle right/left with the heavy bike on top.  It may not have tipped over - but it just felt too wiggly.  I believe the metal just starts flexing with a bike that heavy.

I bought some of the silver colored diamond plate floor runner and put it on top to keep from scratching the paint off with center stands and tools.

I am well satisfied that it is worth what I paid - it helped considerably when I was building the Savage Cafe' and Ninja Cafe' bikes, as I could get the bike up at a convenient level for cutting/welding/fitting pieces.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 07/12/20 at 07:08:46

Yeah I’m not gonna use the wheel clamp either. I got wheel chock for a trailer or p/u bed to use , just roll it in and strap it down. I figure if it’s tied down the same as when I’m hauling it down the road it should be just fine. I’m sure i will find a mod or 2 to make it better or easier to use. But I’m definitely nervous about putting the Sportster up on it. A 505 lb bike on a 325 lb lift thats made in Pittsburg , China. Maybe if I like using a lift , I can always sell it and upgrade to a better one in time.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 07/13/20 at 04:40:42

So I had finished assembly, ripped the garage apart to get my 86 Honda tlr200 Reflex out of mothballs to go up on the new lift. What a mess people were stopping asking if I was having a garage sale and if the bikes were for sale. So I had raised the lift during assembly and now ready to put the tlr200 up on it and this fine Chinese product wouldn't go down , messed with it and finally it went down and now it won't go up. Oh did I say it's 105 degrees here today even hotter in the garage maybe 110. After reworking the lowering valve linkage and 6 gatorades got it back together and adjusted it , 4 hours later it's working good up & down. Yeah I regret not buying the American made one with the little flag sticker on it , but I saved $1525 , what a dumbas$ ! Need I say it , Buy American !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 07/13/20 at 04:47:31

Did it lift the bike ? Don't know couldn't find my  tie down straps ! Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 07/13/20 at 06:35:42

Someone probably "picked" them up at your garage sale!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 07/14/20 at 16:55:49

Alright finally found my tie downs , Ohiomoto had me goin , I thought someone walked off with them. They were in the truck. Installed a led light above the lift. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get to put the Reflex on the lift. It seems fine now just a tiny dribble when lowering at the lowering valve , but I got my handy H/F magnetic tray catching the drops. More regret for not buying American !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/14/20 at 18:45:23

I'm still wanting a lift. I have two to get going and I'm crippled up some. I know I can't justify two grand for a lift. I appreciate your evaluation, please keep it coming

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 07/14/20 at 22:44:29

Yeah my days of working on my knees is done , ok for a short time but that’s the main reason for getting a lift. It should motivate me to finish some bikes , six bikes and only the sporty running. Have to get 2 running here quick !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/15/20 at 17:35:14

Ruttly wrote on 07/13/20 at 04:47:31:
Did it lift the bike ? Don't know couldn't find my  tie down straps ! Grin Grin Grin

Years ago I helped a friend haul a very rusty car on a trailer.  A few days later while the car was still on the trailer he decided to jack the car up to fix a flat tire.  He started jacking and the car started bending and the jack started to push through the rusty frame.........it was then he remembered that he had not yet loosened the chains that were holding the car on the trailer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/15/20 at 17:52:08

On the trailer
New destination
Junkyard?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 07/16/20 at 06:39:54

picture ?

Huh

This is what I'm using now , its abut 10 years old and works good for one end of the bike at a time.   The other end gets strapped to the concrete floor

https://youtu.be/8CW5liV37UI

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/16/20 at 07:26:24

While a lift that picks up the entire bike is costly and does require a lot of floor space - they are handy if you do a lot of work.  At the bike shop when you are doing maintenance work all day long, crawling around on the floor really isn't a good option.  

This lift is what we are talking about and it is affordable and works for most of us who have 500 pound or less motorcycles.  Professional air lift models are very expensive.....but far sturdier and they can pick up really heavy bikes and hold them securely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNGs1l5ixao

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 07/16/20 at 14:15:23

Friend of mine just picked up a used one for $150. Doesn't have an idea how old it is but it still works fine. Guess maybe their quality has gone down some.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 07/19/20 at 08:57:57

Well , my 210lb Honda tlr200 is up on the table. It's pretty stable and jack only leaks if I leave the weight on it instead of the safety stop rod , but once it's on the rod with no weight on jack it doesn't leak. If I give it a good shake it doesn't budge but you can see the deck flex a bit. I installed a led light from Walmart directly over the lift. The u-bolts they use for tiedowns are in the way when not in use so I removed upper nuts on all four U-bolts and used a flat washer and nylon nuts on the bottom so when not in use they drop down out of the way. The lower locking position is at a good working height for me , the upper position would be good for a taller person. Overall I'm liking this lift , now I'm gonna see if H/F will warranty the jack for the leak.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:53:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › H/F lift

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.