Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Custom air filter + carb issues (Read 74 times)
StripedSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Custom air filter + carb issues
07/04/20 at 12:06:43

Hello this may be a long one but I recently tried putting on a custom air filter and using my old air box to house a lot of my electrics, I sacrificed the air box and boot to make this happen because ive seen savages with cold air filters and box deletes and I was confident in my abilities( big mistake ). so it at first wouldn't run at all really no matter how I tuned it with the air screw. it would spit and sputter and shoot out black smoke which usually means too lean but nothing I did changed it. soooo I rebuilt my carb for the second time but im broke so I tried using the same gaskets, diaphragm, and o rings and it did run this time, bogged down at 50( I think due to flooding because of this next part)  and then when I pulled over to tune it I noticed Niagara falls of gas coming from my vent spouts in the top, so im trying to decide what to do at the moment, a new OEM carb is 750 but to fully rebuild it from Babbits.com is about 500-700 with the OEM airbox and boot assembly to make it stock again then i would have to re-wire all my custom electrics that work fine but are now inside the airbox. my question is can someone tell me the exact part in the carb that is messed up? float needle is brand new thats the only part I did have, but its probably the cleanest carb in the world right now just with old rubber internals but even after i fix the gas leaking issue, why would I not be able to tune my bike to work with a aftermarket air filter when other people can, I have a 2002 but from what ive seen Suzuki didn't change the savage to much over the years. Anything helps and im going to be broke for a while so i have some time to think about it, ill put up some pic with this, its half taken apart and still has the redneck fix that i tired to do just to get home but ended up towing the bike instead so ignore that I know i need vent tubes lol also the gas messed up my paint so it also  looks like crap right now

IMG-2550000.jpg
  IP Logged
StripedSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Custom air filter + carb issues
Reply #1 - 07/04/20 at 12:22:59

Sorry cant figure out how to post more than one pic per post

IMG-25544444.jpg
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #2 - 07/04/20 at 12:58:29

What kind of exhaust are you running?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/04/20 at 16:51:11

This won't cure your fuel overflow problem - but may help with the poor running issue.

Some clamp on filters block the vent in the upper part of the carb inlet.  This vent allows air to the top of the diaphragm so it can move the slide up and down, and there are also a couple of circuits with air jets up there.

If you new filter is blocking this vent....it won't run worth crap.

Don't spend $700 on a carb......the carb you have is likely fine and just needs a bit of care in the proper places.

Where do you live?

In the photo below.....see how the filter will block the vent at the top of the carb inlet?

« Last Edit: 07/04/20 at 18:19:38 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
StripedSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/04/20 at 19:27:22

Yeah that makes alot of since it does have a lip because I only had a step drill to enlarge it so its like 11/4 wide( used a air filter from autozone), there is a gap for it to expand because I used the old boot from the air box (reference above picture) and I live in Fredericksburg VA, also running stock exhaust with a wrap

IMG-254111111.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/05/20 at 03:16:18

If you used the stock boot from the airbox and modified it - then that should work fine as it will not block the vent.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 03:37:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Custom air filter + carb issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.