Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spouting gas from crankcase breather? (Read 158 times)
Lorax
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spouting gas from crankcase breather?
07/04/20 at 09:26:28

Hey Guys!

I'm a happy newbie on mechanics and also happy owner of three Savages. One I mostly ride, that's my Lorax. One I put together from pieces and have been riding a lot too, and one still in pieces...

Ok, so now to the one I put together. Been riding it a lot but three years ago me and my by then dear boyfriend switched the engine in it. We put in the engine from third bike in pieces, it started up well but engine was ticking from the top. Dear boyfriend adjusted the valves. Since then it's been standing 'cause of nerve injuries, life and hell and such everything...

Now I'm cleaning out the garage and will get rid of that bike 'cause I need space in the garage.

Ok, so today I put the last things together after the engine switch three years ago. It started up well and no ticking noise yet (cheers to Dear boyfriend  Grin) BUT it is spouting out gas from what I think is the crankcase breather opening in the top.

We changed the vacuum gas tap no a "normal" one long ago. But it still has the stock vacuum carburetor. Could it be the diaphragm dried out/fissured during these three years and now causing the carburetor to overflow? Or what else could it be?
Any help on what's causing this is appreciated.

/Happy lady in Sweden (English is not my first language. Smiley)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Spouting gas from crankcase breather?
Reply #1 - 07/04/20 at 10:33:51

Have you checked the oil level in the crankcase?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Lorax
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/04/20 at 12:01:27

Dave - Thanks for your reply. Honestly I realized now there was no oil in it. Stupid, stupid, stupid? I thought it would not take so much harm since me and my brother merely just wanted to see if it would start after three years stalling, so he can buy the bike and we can ride together. I took out the oil drain plug and all gasoline running out...I really don't remember how things went when my dear boyfriend adjusted the valves. I recall we also were switching the top and fixing with the cam chain, so I think we drained the oil and maybe we didn't put in new since we didn't start it again? I don't remember.  Embarrassed Finding it hard though that he would start it without oil. He was way more experienced than me, and older.  Kiss Anyhow there was no oil in the engine. Just gasoline.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/04/20 at 12:09:14

Okay, well,, petcock,, need the Raptor petcock, genuine Yamaha part, no $12.00 knockoff.that Looks like it..

Dump the gas,, leave the crankcase open, if ya have a compressor, run air thru, evaporate the stuff that didnt drain..
Mite wanna fog the cylinder with Fogging OIl,, since whatever oil was on it is most likely gone and ruining the rings and cylinder wont please you any, at all..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Lorax
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/04/20 at 12:24:32

justin_o_guy2 - Also thank you for your reply. And petcock is the word. But I already changed the stock petcock to a one regular (not vacuum). Trying to understand what makes the gasoline run into the engine and spouting out from the crankcase breather. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/04/20 at 12:44:21

The float valve in the carburetor is allowing the fuel to gravity feed from the tank, flooding the carburetor, into the rubber hose taking air to the intake valves.. If a valve is open its gonna go right on into the cylinder, slipping by the rings, washing the oil away,, So,, If ya dont turn the new petcock off,, its gonna keep doin that until ya work out the carb problems,,

Seriously,, that engine needs to be oiled up top before those rings start running up and down,,

You might try a screwdriver handle rapped against the carburetor a few good whaks,, the float might just be stuck,,
If ya start into the carb,, those screws arent #2 Phillips, they are JIS screws and a #2 will strip them out..
You can buy JIS drivers
Or, Grind the tip of a #2 Phillips until it sits down in the screw head far enough to Fill the X ..

I probably wouldnt fill the tank..

I wouldnt even add fuel till I was ready to see if it runs,,

Did ya plug the vacuum line when ya swapped petcocks?
What did ya pay for and where did ya get the new petcock?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Lorax
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/04/20 at 14:15:21

Thanks again, justin_o_guy2. Now I understand better.

Hm.... the petcock has been turned off. The petcocks are from EBay, cheap copies from China. Maybe 3,5$? They've been on for 7 years now and have been working very well. But the bike has been stalled for three years, the tank has been empty all the time though and actually off the bike since the engine was interchanged (I think?  Shocked) Maybe some gasket has been dried out? Will check the petcock, can't recall how they are made in detail, since there hasn't been any trouble, no need to take them off. I plugged the vacuum line when I installed the new petcock.

Ok, so the plan is now: 1. Open up a bit and air engine. 2. Check the petcock if it closes properly. 3 Check float and needle if something is stuck.

Will go through this the coming week and come back with how it goes. Thanks also for the info on the screws. But wouldn't the pistonrings be okay once we poured in oil and it's all getting lubricated again? Wondering if this short time span of gasoline could make such amount of damage.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/04/20 at 22:53:45

I wouldnt start it without having oiled the cylinder

Fogging Oil,,learn about it,,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/05/20 at 03:20:55

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Lorax
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/05/20 at 05:10:18

I didn't know about that. Thanks guys. Smiley

Yesterday I was thinking about this and figured there had to be oil in the engine, but it must have been dilluted by the gasoline. Oil level must have been way above level. It would not have been possible to drain so much "black gasoline" otherwise (the gas spouting out from the breather was clear) because we didn't pour so much gasoline into the tank. When oil is drained I use to put the oil plug on the tank with some tape to remember I have to refill, but I obviously can't rely on my memory in this case.

Anyway, this could have been going on for a while, after all it's gone three yeas.

Do you know how much gas is required to dillute oil into a gasoliny liquid?  Huh

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 07/05/20 at 05:44:02

When I first got my Savage it hadn’t been ridden or started in years. When I finally got around to starting it it ran just as you described for your bike. I drained the “oil” and got about a gallon (4 liters) of fluid out. So it had 2 liters of oil and 2 liters of fuel. I swapped out the petcock and it has run perfectly for 7 years now. Don’t worry too much about the fuel/oil mix. Change the oil and adjust the carb (the float) so it doesn’t happen again. I would disassemble the carb to ensure the the height of the float is correct and that the rubber parts aren’t cracked, shrunk or otherwise damaged.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Lorax
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/06/20 at 09:45:36

Thank you, Gary_in_NJ. Will do.

Wednesday is next garage day.

IP Logged
pokerpuss
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/06/20 at 15:48:03

Hello all,
a friend gave me an 2003 LS650 a few months back. It didn't run. But it did turn over.
I don't know much about troubleshooting and not too mechanically inclined, with the bike came the "clymers" manual.
I took out the carb cleaned it and now it runs!
problem is, I don't have the seat hook, so I can't  take on a ride to clean out all the crap that was in the airbox.
anybody have a seat hook?

I think the float was stuck, and the petcock left in prime position.
oil smelled like gasoline and the airbox had about a quart of ffluid in it when I drained it. cleaned it up and it purrs!
just can't ride it...

I'm in Orange county California

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 07/06/20 at 17:38:41

IP Logged
Lorax
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/08/20 at 04:57:33

Problem solved. It turned out to be much less than I was afraid of.

Checked the petcock. It was fine. Checked the carburetor. Float and needle did not seem stuck. Opened up and checked diaphragm and gaskets, they were fine. Just poured out the gasoline in it, refilled engine with new oil. Started and now everything runs fine. I think maybe it was just that it had been stalled, and some excess gasoline in the carburetor is enough to cause this problem when starting up after a long time. Perhaps the float was just a little bit stuck and loosened by itself when we removed the carb, as justin_o_guy2 said a little "whak" with a screwdriver could solve it. Grin

Anyway, thank you guys for the help. I learned some new things. Hope this helps someone else.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:00:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spouting gas from crankcase breather?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.