justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Judge called them on
06/28/20 at 13:04:45

Their Unequal TReatment,,

Of different minded groups..
Now,, gotta give some room to churches,, and the outdoor stff? Well,, cant say squat,, becuse of the free reign given to those
Peaceful Protesters,, coff,, coff,

NEW YORK -- A federal judge on Friday blocked New York state from enforcing coronavirus restrictions limiting indoor religious gatherings to 25% capacity when other types of gatherings are limited to 50%.

Judge Gary Sharpe enjoined Gov. Andrew Cuomo, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and Attorney General Letitia James from enforcing some of the capacity restrictions put in place by executive order to contain the spread of the virus.

The plaintiffs' religious activities “will be burdened and continue to be treated less favorably than comparable secular activities,” Sharpe said in his 38-page ruling from Albany.

The plaintiffs, two Catholic priests from upstate New York and three Orthodox Jewish congregants from Brooklyn, argued that the restrictions violated their First Amendment rights to practice their religion.

The plaintiffs said the restrictions forced the Rev. Steven Soos and the Rev. Nicholas Stamos, members of the breakaway Society of St. Pius X, to either turn away parishioners who wished to attend Mass "or to hold more Masses per day than are possible.”

Christopher Ferrara, an attorney for the plaintiffs, called the unequal restrictions “an irrational targeting of houses of worship.”

“The idea that houses of worship are some deadly viral vector unlike anything else is just superstition,” Ferrara said in a telephone interview. “There’s no science to support that.”

Restrictions limiting the number of people who can attend outdoor religious gatherings will also be lifted by the injunction.

The New York State Catholic Conference said New York bishops were not involved in the lawsuit. But spokesman Dennis Poust said he anticipated that “our churches will continue to voluntarily follow state guidelines as a matter of prudential judgment.”

The judge noted that both Cuomo and de Blasio have expressed approval for protests against racism and police brutality that followed the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis last month while continuing to support restrictions on religious gatherings.

“Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio could have just as easily discouraged protests, short of condemning their message, in the name of public health and exercised discretion to suspend enforcement for public safety reasons instead of encouraging what they knew was a flagrant disregard of the outdoor limits and social distancing rules," he said.

The Department of Justice called the decision “a win for religious freedom and the civil liberties of New Yorkers."

“The court’s decision is consistent with positions and arguments made by the United States Department of Justice in similar filings and letters, including in New York City and elsewhere around the country," said Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband of the Civil Rights Division in a statement.

“The Department of Justice will continue to support people of faith who seek equal treatment against threats and actions by public officials who discriminate against them because of their religion."

A spokesperson for Cuomo said the governor's office will review the decision. A spokesperson for the New York City law department said, “We will review this new ruling and work with the state on next steps.”

———

This story has been corrected to show that the priests are members of Society of St. Pius X, not Roman Catholics.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Judge called them on
Reply #1 - 06/29/20 at 22:39:18

Irony alert!

An outbreak at a Pentecostal church in Oregon, where hundreds of worshipers resumed gathering over Memorial Day weekend, forced an entire county to return to phase one of its reopening after local officials traced 258 cases of Covid-19 back to the facility.

Clusters of Covid-19 cases are surfacing in counties across the U.S. where in-person religious services have resumed, triggering questions about whether his administration should reassess its campaign to treat houses of worship the same as other essential businesses, or leave them alone and risk additional transmission of the deadly coronavirus — including in communities that are largely supportive of the president.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/28/trump-coronavirus-spread-churches-34...

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/30/20 at 08:16:33

Im sure I believe it all,, and I am also just ceratin that none of the thugs burnin and looting shoulder to shoulder have developeed a problem,,'Irony myass..
Its NOT the black plague, its just NOT, people die from the flu, well,, IDK if any have in the last month or three,, because they seem to attribute death to CV19,,
EEEEK! We allGonna DIE!!

Give it a rest..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 06/30/20 at 08:26:07

Yea there was a majority black church that "reopened" and had a bunch of cases, prompting the fools to declare China Virus is racist …
I dunno man, there's a bunch of fruitcakes running around too weak to open a jar of pickles and are smashing it on the floor claiming to be strong.
Oddly more black people seem to be doing it than white, however Antifa is majority white and majority fruitcakes who look like twigs. The looters are mainly black and look like bowling balls.
So maybe I just need to disconnect fat from being strong - just cos I was fat and strong and its somehow bestowed upon me some super human lower body strength - it also was due to my excruciating foot pain I never let stop me for 20+ yrs, and I did a lot of hard and heavy activity - so building muscle by real world and getting pain tolerance again by pain … I think all fat people are like that.  

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 08:31:36

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Judge called them on

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.