New Tail Light (Read 137 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
New Tail Light
06/25/20 at 21:17:39

Well , if ya want hard (Lockable) bags on a Savage , then ya have to loose the turn signals.  

Really the old turn signal holes make a good place to bolt the bags on.

These are not big bags but they are a lot more useable than the soft bags I had.

The tail light is a standard 1157 bulb and the LED Blinkers are bright.   That "All in One" thing wasn't bright enough just like Dave thought it would be.

NewTailLight2mp.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: New Tail Light
Reply #1 - 06/25/20 at 21:21:51

Here's a better picture of the hard bags .

HardBags2mp.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/26/20 at 04:42:03

Glad you found a light that can be seen - it is sad that so many of the new LED lights from China use those tiny LED's that just can't be seen in daylight.  I have seen some of the sport bikes in my area that can barely be seen at night!

If your turn signals are not bright enough, you can use these LED bulbs to retrofit into the turn signal housings.  These LED units use the flat LED emitters and they make enough light to be visible!  I used 2 of them in each of my turn signal housings to replace the small bulbs that were originally inside.  The LED's are ready to wire and have an adhesive foam tape mounting - you just need to make a flat surface to stick them on.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-light-modules/1-round-wired-led-...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/26/20 at 17:34:58

MMRanch wrote on 06/25/20 at 21:21:51:
Here's a better picture of the hard bags .

In the first place its a nice bike!
I got my one whith soft bages, a bib on the tank and a fork bag.
Im just curius.. about your wheels and exhaust?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/26/20 at 19:53:17

I wanna know about the wheels too,, NOt havin tubes would really take some of the pressure off of riding out in the boonies,, Bein able to plug it and hit it with some fixAflat or a little compressor would be grand

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 06/26/20 at 20:15:07

I dislike the led lights,ok for the lic plate. I’ll stick with good old fashion light bulbs. You can buy a bulb at 7-11 if your on the road !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 06/26/20 at 22:06:18

yea Zepp , I had soft bags for the last 10 years ... The hard bags on my other bikes have caused me to see the light , so to speak ?

Those two little Bullet-LED turn signals were only $20.oo , but they are bright .    The all in one LED I had planned wasn't bright at all.   So , I'm glad to have the 1157 regular bulb in the tail-brake light.

Versey told me what rims to get for the tubeless stuff .   I remember them being off the 1980's GS450 ???  Undecided maybe ?  The rear rim is narrow and my next tire is 120/90-16 to fit the rim better .
At first I got a rear off a 1980's 550/500 four-cylinder and it was a lot wider , bigger dia. brake too , but the rear break support was the "ARM" type and my arm twisted one day ... the narrow 450 (???) fit like the original (thank you Versey)  Smiley .
It seems like the front rim required some modification .   Carl (Bad Wolf) from Florida sent me a rotor that was turned down to fit so mine was easy.  Don't let that brake roto slow anybody down from going tubeless the original rotor with some washers/spacers should be an easy thing to do.  

So the bags themselves , the metal guard fastens to the fender bar  --- 5/16 bolts with a piece of good gas line for spacer .  Then the bags just "Set into" the guards with three bolts .   The original soft bags support holds the bottom of the hard bags too.   I zip tied mine to the soft bag supports at the bottom to beat the rattling .   Just a turn of a key to find a dry place now !  Wink
No , they don't "Turn-key" off the bike ... but that's OK , I can live with them like they are.

If ya get one of the universal mufflers off ebay then your going to need one of these stuck in the end of it with some muffler packing in the middle too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-Universal-Motorcycle-Exhaust-Can-Muffler-Baffle...

Yea ,just wrap some of this stuff around one of those DB Killers and your good with any "Can/Muffler" you want !  Smiley
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silencer-Packing-Exhaust-Muffler-for-Motorcycle-Dirt...

Heck , you could put one of these in a strait pipe w/packing around it !  Roll Eyes
But :
Its been my experience that the more "Room for Expansion" inside the muffler - the easier it is to get it below the "Sure to get pulled over" level.

The Soft bags  .
« Last Edit: 06/27/20 at 07:56:10 by MMRanch »  

Mag_Wheels_003.jpg

zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 06/28/20 at 02:00:54

The 120/90-16 works great and doesn't look narrow.
Just an aside: my standard for tire sizes has always been the Norton Commando, a fast bike that never saw a 'fat tire', and never needed one. Most modern bikes are way over-tired, IMO !
Cheers1  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/28/20 at 04:22:43

zipidachimp wrote on 06/28/20 at 02:00:54:
The 120/90-16 works great and doesn't look narrow.
Just an aside: my standard for tire sizes has always been the Norton Commando, a fast bike that never saw a 'fat tire', and never needed one. Most modern bikes are way over-tired, IMO !
Cheers1  Cool

Yep, MM and I have come to that same opinion.  I had a 110/80-18 on the back of my Cafe' bike for a while........looked a bit narrow as I was used to seeing more tire width but I never lacked for traction and it handled fine.

When MM went "narrow" he also found that handling was just as good as before......maybe even better.

The wide tires on cruiser are a fashion statement.....not a traction requirement.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/28/20 at 08:10:46

I was thinking the kinda fat rear wore out fast enuff,, wouldnt a narrower tire, having less rubber to abuse, run outta rubber, faster?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/28/20 at 11:29:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/28/20 at 08:10:46:
I was thinking the kinda fat rear wore out fast enuff,, wouldnt a narrower tire, having less rubber to abuse, run outta rubber, faster?

Width may have something to do with it - but tire compound also plays a role.  Most of the narrow width tires are a sport touring type compound and a bit soft.....so life is in the 4,000 - 8,000 mile range.  The fatter tires tend to be more of a cruiser or touring compound and last 6,000 - 10,000 miles......unless you get the Michelin Commander and maybe 20,000 miles - but they are a bit slippery in the wet.

The fancy multi-compound tires with a harder center and softer edge rubber unfortunately are only available in the sizes that fit modern sport bikes......the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 is the only exception I found that came in a size that would fit my little 250 Ninja and also my Savage Cafe' - but still mileage was only 8,000 before they needed replacement.  I will likely get 12,000 miles out of the Michelin Road 5 on my F800GT........but they are twice the cost of the tires that fit my Savage.

Funny how we can switch from tail lights to tires in less than a page! Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/28/20 at 17:24:35

Dude,, If you wanna do topic swaps,, I can get quite a few in a minute,,
But yeah,, thread drift around here wuld get this bunch into the Professional category..
Ohh,, NO,, absolutely not MY fault,, ever..

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 06/28/20 at 22:22:59

The wide tires on cruiser are a fashion statement.....not a traction requirement.

I helped a friend put a new tire on his old 1983 Goldwing .   Its not a little bike at all.   Well , the standard tire size for it is 130/90-16.  
By 1983 standards ... I should be putting a 100/90-16 on the rear of my little Savage !   Grin

I've got a Duro 510-16 Rib tread on it now with 4000 miles on it that looks like it will run another 4000 miles.   It handles just fine too.  The flat profile puts a lot of rubber on the ground and those ribs hold the curves surprisingly well .  Smiley   Its very smooth and predictable .

I believe 5.10" size is the same as 130mm and the 120mm size would = 4.60".  
130 divided by 25.4 = 5.118   -  120 divided by 25.4 = 4.724

I believe also that the 4.60" - 120mm will be a better fit for the 1980's rim.   For the next tire that is.
« Last Edit: 06/29/20 at 08:03:35 by MMRanch »  

Duro_510_16.jpg

stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 06/29/20 at 11:35:33

Hmmmm. In that first image is that an old hot tub to the right of the shed in the trees?  Been holding out the hot tub on us MM?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 06/29/20 at 12:50:32

old hot tub  

Grin

Yea Stew , I bought that in 1988 to cover the bed of my first truck , it was a Datsun 510 with a Diesel 2k liter , 5 speed manual.  
I should have kept , it probably still runs ?

It was averaging 47 mpg till I put that hot tub thingie on the bed then it dropped to 42 mpg.

After selling the 510 Datsun , I missed having one ... so I got a S-10 chevy and put the hot tubby thingie on it.   I thought I might want to re-use it again but now I might need to hall a motorbike in the bed and a wife in the cab --- so there it sits with trees growing up around it ...

I'd give it away if somebody wanted to come get it , its aluminum so a good cleaning should get it back into service ?   I can guarantee  it to be worth the price I'm charging for it !  Wink

I was expecting you to comment on the item in the second picture ?

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 09:57:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Tail Light

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.