Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Training your replacement. Any advice? (Read 273 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Training your replacement. Any advice?
Reply #15 - 07/06/20 at 08:02:56

Ruttly wrote on 07/06/20 at 07:40:09:
Hey Stewy , Can I buy you a cup of joe ? Roll Eyes

Sure! Mail it to:
JOG
East Texas

Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #16 - 07/07/20 at 06:19:37

I can't help the contractor with dealing with my boss. Only time and experience can help there. It is amusing watching someone else struggling as I have for the past year with the aggravating communication problems this guy has. He never provides any written instructions or requirements because he doesn't want a paper trail of his bad decisions - which is pretty much every decision he actually makes because he couldn't dodge it or put it on someone else.. With this guy it's all verbal and what he says from one day to the next varies wildly. To make it worse he doesn't really know what he's talking about most of the time and has a shockingly poor technical vocabulary. But he acts as though he knows everything about everything even though it's clearly obvious his technical know how is zilch..
And the cherry on top is his propensity for throwing his underlings under the bus when things go wrong in order to cover his rear.

Honestly I won't be surprised if the contractor bails in a few months because of the boss. Heaven knows I've been applying for other positions in the company to get away from this guy for awhile now.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/07/20 at 06:23:40

Hit me with the bosses email
Ill get ya a new assignment by lunch..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #18 - 07/07/20 at 07:11:30

I used to work for a guy that was the same.  We had govt contracts andhe would lie to get them and lie once we had them about service levels, server failures, you name it. All lies. My boss was the intermediary to the VP who did all this, and once they started the "no evidence game" with me I would email them each time they asked me to lie about things and essentially say "although I may not see it this way, I went ahead as YOU instructed me to do and .....".  I finally left that company WITH a load of emails protecting myself in the event that there was ever a lawsuit for breach of contract.

So...just because he doesn't put it in writing doesn't mean that you can't send an email or text saying "hey, I did that thing for you just like you instructed", though I know that all environments aren't conducive to that.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #19 - 07/07/20 at 08:07:40

When the 20% staffing cuts were announced a hiring freeze was also initiated so no chance of switching teams now.

We have an email distribution list includes everyone in our department including my bosses bosses so every so often I send messages to it asking my boss for clarification on his instructions. At times it's almost hilarious watching him put a spin on the topic to cover his rear. Or use his favorite tactics of pretending he doesn't understand me or acting like I'm talking about some other task.

I'm sure the contractor will eventually figure it all out on his own.

It's pretty universal nowadays to find bosses playing the no evidence game. Was the same story at the last 4 or 5 jobs I've had. I got so tired of it at one place 3 years ago where it was really bad and found work someplace else only to hear from a former coworker there that upper management canned nearly all of middle management without warning a few weeks after I left. Wish I had been there to see that!

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #20 - 07/07/20 at 08:25:15

Dealing with gods, err, bosses....

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #21 - 07/07/20 at 08:53:50

That video is funny as hell!

Also funny in an ironic sense is the problem of verbally assigned tasks and projects not having any documentation for the work performed. Because evidence. Sometimes the boss doesn't really think that through and it bites them in the butt later. For example, on one project the boss never realized one task required the creation of a slew of system user accounts and passwords for use by external systems and peripherals.
Since no documentation was asked for nor desired those details exist only in my head.
And when things inevitably go wrong, after my head gets fired, it's going to be an extremely painful time for the boss. Especially considering he won't even be able to blame the contractor for it.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #22 - 07/07/20 at 10:27:57

Yeah, that girl does some very "smart" comedy...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 07/08/20 at 02:03:20

Stew is correct, do your best on your job and let the chips fall where they may, you need to be the bigger man regardless of what management does.  The trainee is not the issue, your character is.  Do what is right and God will handle the rest for you.  If they are having you train your replacement that will happen regardless of what you do, so do good and right and you will be blessed.
Who knows, this can be a stepping stone to something better.

IP Logged
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #24 - 07/17/20 at 12:21:59

I personally would do the best I could to give him every bit of knowledge and know how I possess.   I say that because I believe each employee should give his/her best to the company in exchange for wages.  You are wise and ethical to not hold anything against him.  If/when you are let go, you will find a better job elsewhere.  

I empathize with your situation and in likely feeling you are being used, but the new guy is innocent of doing anything against you.  

Bob
84 and still riding
2009 S40 650, and Rebel 250
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #25 - 07/25/20 at 10:42:07

I'm taking the next week off because use it or lose it time. I'll be taking the free time to begin job hunting. It would be ironic if if they decide not to fire me but I leave for a better job anyway.

They also instituted a voluntary early retirement program with incentives for people with a certain amount of years to leave scott free with a big bonus and full retirement benefits.

And it has bit them on their private parts. We're seeing a mass exodus of the most highly valued and irreplaceable personnel we have. Positions that absolutely demand long experience in the business and responsibilities most people in their right minds won't even consider at the offered salaries. Chaos will ensue.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #26 - 09/16/20 at 15:11:56

The axe came down today.
And took off my bosses head!
I shall remain.

The 1st good news of 2020!!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 09/16/20 at 16:40:20

philthymike wrote on 09/16/20 at 15:11:56:
The axe came down today.
I shall remain.

I cant help but laugh..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #28 - 09/16/20 at 17:33:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/16/20 at 16:40:20:
philthymike wrote on 09/16/20 at 15:11:56:
The axe came down today.
I shall remain.

I cant help but laugh..

I've been trying to be professional. Trying really hard not to laught my f**king ass off!

But the truth is I'm living the American Dream. I didn't get to kill my boss but he got canned. And that's alright by me. Deserved it more than anyone. Especially considering back in April when my dad passed he called me nonstop day and night while I was on bereavement leave trying to get me to work. I had to call HR to get him to leave me and my family in peace.
Because of that event I have no sympathy for the guy. Sucks to be him.

On a positive note me and the contractor work pretty good together!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 09/16/20 at 19:01:43

All good news. I've been pissed about the whole thing till now. I hope your relationship with the contractor insulates you from being disposable.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:58:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Training your replacement. Any advice?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.