Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Training your replacement. Any advice? (Read 273 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Training your replacement. Any advice?
06/25/20 at 20:05:27

What comes around goes around. When I was hired for my current job I replaced a contractor. The contractor was instructed to train me before he left. He did no such thing.
Now they've brought in a contractor and had me give him access to all my systems and told me to let him watch over my shoulder as I work. Now they haven't said he's replacing me yet. But I asked my boss that question today and he couldn't convince me otherwise despite trying.

Mind you the company announced a 20% staff reduction because Covid 19. Then they eliminated all projects funding. Then they cut our salaries 15% and made us take a day off without pay for 5 weeks.
But yet somehow my 4 person team was somehow granted the funds for a short term contractor for some important project. This important project is very hush hush and quite unusual since none of my teams systems are mission critical.

Meanwhile capital projects to infrastructure have been axed.

Sooooo seeing as I'm in charge of training my replacement just like my predecessor, how should I go about it?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Training your replacement. Any advice?
Reply #1 - 06/25/20 at 22:41:03

Just be polite and courteous to this person, show him what he needs to know, but don't show him effective short cuts or techniques you may have aquired to make your job a little easier. When I got a redundancy/severance, plus a bronze handshake some thirty years ago, they asked me to show my replacement a vehicle route. I did as was asked and watched my replacement ride the clutch all around the route. I never said a word to anyone about that.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 06/25/20 at 22:50:56

It’s time to let the evil side of your personality out. Have some fun with it. But try to remember it all so you can tell us about just how evil you can be ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/25/20 at 23:48:40

The contractor was instructed to train me before he left. He did no such thing.

IDK how I'd handle that.. Really would depend on a few things,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #4 - 06/26/20 at 05:46:21

I have been polite. Just now I increased his access level as per his request. He seems like an alright kinda guy so I can't bring myself to dislike him personally.

But I can't maintain the pretense that he's there to help out with a project and it's in my interest to assist him.
I'm just not fake like that.

I'm holding my Darkside at bay for the moment. Don't know how long I can keep it up before I go full Darth Vader.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 06/26/20 at 06:27:35

I'd not train no replacement - I'll show him where the break room is and give him all the skeptical BS I know of. Be nice but no real work based needs to be conveyed. I did that in Feb and the person was well qualified - so docs and access and sitting in on a few meetings made him get to speed very well. Exactly the same way I got to speed. Hire qualified people and training needs to be just as minimal as described. If they want you to train the guy its likely they found someone off the street who's not qualified. I've been in that type of role too - on both sides, both to train someone who wasn't appropriately qualified as well as be the person who wasn't qualified. Not fun in either case.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 07/03/20 at 16:05:33

It's not his fault he was hired to whatever he was hired to do so it's not fair to treat him poorly.  Tough spot you're in there.  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/03/20 at 16:16:57

Training your own replacement,,
Whose job is it to HIRE qualified people?
I wouldnt be a jakass to the guy,, he's just trying to food on his family,,
But, if Im not gonna have a job soon,, why do I care about the employer who is tossin me out>? I would do whatever to not just get fired tomorrow, but I dont think I could find it in myself to teach someone the little intricacies of doing my job that I had to learn after I was hired,, I learned it on my own,, either this guy will find his way thru or out the door, not my problem,,
Whats not fair?

Being replaced and told to teach someone how to do your job is pretty high on that list for me,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #8 - 07/04/20 at 11:43:04

Whether or not the guy is qualified is secondary. More importantly they have to reduce expenses. So they can play a shell game by swapping a permanent employee for a contractor since each is paid for from separate budgets. Essentially they move the expense from one budget to another. Later on once they run out of capital expense budget they'll have to dump the contractor and hire a permanent employee again.
The longer the budgets are kept below the red the more of a bonus my inept boss and his manager get.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/04/20 at 12:15:37

So, sounds like youre getting out ahead of the bankruptcy..
Ive worked for a coupla places that were on their way out.. Workloads increased, stress increased, they generally bacame very unpleasant places to be..
If someone is so stupid that they can pretend that total profits wont maintain payroll and overhead with regular employees, but hiring contractors that cost the same money will,, well,, ya cant fix that for them,,
The things Ive seen, because of people I know, when Agency sends in a person to fill a gap, cuz someone called in,, they get PAID a lot more.. And they are responsible for their taxes and Social Security,,. I guess the contractor get a contract,, so, barring getting fired for cause, he has a check coming for 6 months or a year?
Ohh,, who cares,, Sorry youre gettin screwed..
I never did like hearin gramma say

You go cut me a switch, boy...

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/04/20 at 13:40:22

If a company decides they want to ax someone, they will do it whether or not a replacement is sufficiently trained.  In my experience, upper management rarely knows enough about technical matters to know if a guy is truly qualified or not.

My policy was to always train subordinates to do my job or at least a part of it.  I did this so I always had good support and didn't have to worry about the place when gone for vacations or other reasons. It can never hurt to give another guy a break and help him get ahead. Someday he may have your job or he might save your butt.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/04/20 at 18:21:35

I'd say since you talked to your management and was not convinced you should inform them of that.  

I wouldn't take anything out on the person coming in.  He wants a job, your management is in charge of that.

He shouldn't be held accountable for anything you refuse to teach him, but who knows.  

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 07/06/20 at 06:12:31

Yeah I been thinking ( I know that’s scary ) , I would want to buy my replacement a Starbucks every morning . All dressed up with cream n sugar or a latte all fixed up with a heavy dose of Exlax. I know I’m rotten to the core but he ain’t gonna learn much sitting on the toilet all day. Or have to go home to change his drawers. Just cause it’s a $hity situation  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 07/06/20 at 06:42:52

I had many years invested in a fortune 100 company and was sorta laid off shortly after the financial dump of 2007/2008. I was really bitter for a long time and went through some of what you say as the company tried to reorganize for a few months before I was completely out.

It took me a while but I got over it. I kept all my hate to myself and I am glad I did. Had I been hateful or rude to any of the people involved who were just doing their job, I would have felt bad later as everyone was just trying to survive the cuts and keep their families fed. It was the VP (who was later fired) who was making the decisions which led to my job being dissolved, and I never forgave him for the bad and completely impersonal decisions he made (they later reorganized my team to repair his shortcomings...but it was years later and I was not involved).

In short, all you can do is what is asked of you and consider that at some point one of these guys could try to rehire you back as a contractor or connect you with someone who needs your skills. Has happened to my dad several times working for government jobs for the corp of engineers. Like you said, it is just a matter of what bucket they have money in and they juggle the people around on paper.

Go to bed at night knowing that you were the bigger man. You don't have to give away the farm, but don't be that guy that no one wants to see coming down the hall...that'll get you nowhere in a hurry, especially if you think you need to rely on any of these folks later for opportunities, referrals, or references.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 07/06/20 at 07:40:09

Hey Stewy , Can I buy you a cup of joe ? Roll Eyes

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 07:38:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Training your replacement. Any advice?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.