Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice:  Filling pits in helmet? (Read 41 times)
irritatedmongo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Advice:  Filling pits in helmet?
06/25/20 at 00:56:09

Hi All:

Took a little spill with my bike (Boulevard S40) last weekend.  Bike's fine, except for a bent foot peg.  Skull's fine (arguably).  Helmet's got a couple of superficial pits in it where my head scuffed the asphalt.

Love my helm (Shoei) because the color almost matches my fuel tank.  I'm fine with a smidge of "battle" scarring.  Thinking I'd like to fill the pits and either touch up enamel or sort of "patch" it with some kind of metallic hue tape.

Any advice?  Thanks.

103684756_10214425457424770_4599390235070051599_n.jpg
  IP Logged
irritatedmongo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Advice:  Filling pits in helmet?
Reply #1 - 06/25/20 at 00:57:30

Another pic.

104336527_10214425458624800_3115871308779005779_n.jpg
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 06/25/20 at 01:48:29

If the helmet has struck with sufficient force to put pits that deep, many would say replace it. It has served you well.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 06/25/20 at 05:18:27

Helmets are not made to be repaired, any impact is reason for it to be replaced. Once the EPS has deformed (or hardened after 5 years) it's time to retire the helmet. I have a collection of maybe 20 retired helmets that have either aged out or have been retired from impacts (on the dirt, never the street thank goodness).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/25/20 at 05:27:07

As JCStokes has commented...manufacturers recommend that helmets are a single use item.  However I feel your pain and understand that it is hard to let go of an expensive helmet over a couple of dings..........

If you still want to keep it, I would use a small amount of autobody filler in the holes........cut a matching size hole in masking tape and apply to helmet at the damage, and smooth the filler over the tape.  This will prevent the filler from getting onto the rest of the paint and minimize the sanding.  Sand the area smooth....you can glue small rounds of sandpaper to the end of wooden dowels to work as sanding sticks.  Then you can choose some kind of pattern to cover the repaired areas.....go to a sign company and get some vinyl to cut into a pattern.  Paint can react with the helmet material and is not recommended.  Just how hard a hit it takes to damage the shell is probably impossible to quantify.

One other option is to go to a professional auto paint store and have them color match a pint of paint for you.....and you could just dab the paint into the holes as "touch up" paint.

Or.......find a store that sell helmet stickers.
"Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"
"Well I'm Here!.....What were your other two wishes?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:26:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advice:  Filling pits in helmet?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.