Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tension on the Belt? (Read 78 times)
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tension on the Belt?
06/23/20 at 08:58:29

I've been looking to check the Tension and I cant find the deflection numbers in the manuel. It just talks about the plunger and if its in the correct lines.

I would like to do it properly, (I've just been doing the twist test) does anyone know the deflection #'s under 10pd pressure?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tension on the Belt?
Reply #1 - 06/23/20 at 10:38:37

The original tool kit had a brass plunger to test the belt tension.....it was pathetic and resulted in a "too tight" belt.

The twist method is our recommended method......and you should be able to twist 90 degrees pretty easily.  A bit too lose is preferable to too tight in my opinion.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/23/20 at 10:51:16

Dave is nearly always wrong..
But not here.

Thumb on one side, finger on the other, 90 degree twist in the bely 1/2 way between drive and driven pulleys,, Youre good..
I was kidding bout Dave being wrong,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 06/23/20 at 12:47:50

How do you guys keep your belt loose enough with taller shocks and the bigger Kaw front pulley?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 06/23/20 at 13:30:50

Tocsik wrote on 06/23/20 at 12:47:50:
How do you guys keep your belt loose enough with taller shocks and the bigger Kaw front pulley?

140/90/15 rear and KAW front pulley, I have my rear tire as far forward as it will go minus a little twist on the adjusters to center the rear belt/pulley and it's just about perfect. If I were a real heavy guy I would worry about stressing the belt, but I'm a little frail old man like Dave  Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/23/20 at 15:20:50

Tocsik wrote on 06/23/20 at 12:47:50:

My belt is pretty loose when I am not sitting on the bike....it tightens up a bit while I am on the bike and riding, and the angle of the swing arm results in the belt tightening on bumps.....so it is looser at rest than when using the short stock shocks.

A looser belt has never caused me any problems - I have seen "too tight" belts get cracks in covering on the outer side of the belt.....the belt has been pulled too tight and stretched.

In the near future maybe I can mount my GoPro on the swingarm and take a video.......that might be kind of fun!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 06/23/20 at 18:06:03

Ok, so the plot thickens. Kawi pulley and longer shocks. Hmmm

This is how I do mine (with those mods):
Jack under the motor so there is no weight on the rear wheel.
Remove the shocks.
Slowly lift the rear wheel and see when the belt is tightest. The should be when the pulley, the swingarm pivot, and the rear axle are all in a straight line.
Adjust the belt tension with the usual adjusters so that there is no slack, but no tension.
If you can't get enough slack, use a die grinder to open up the windows in the swingarm that the axle passes through.
Reinstall the shocks.
Put the bike back on the ground, and take a note of how much slack the belt has when the wheel is on the ground.
That is your new belt tension spec to use when adjusting the belt with the wheel on the ground.
Make sense?

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 06/24/20 at 08:29:56

Yeah, I still need to do this...I have the taller shocks, taller wheel and the modified pulley...
I don't weigh much but I feel like my belt is too tight when I'm riding...
I probably just need to grind like 2-3mm off the slots...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:24:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tension on the Belt?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.