Springer front end (Read 305 times)
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Springer front end
06/14/20 at 21:13:58

Looking for insight on doing a springer front end on my '2011'. Would like it a little long and definitely with a front disc brake. Anyone know of a bolt up after market for the bike?

My next question is what consideraration are there for adding a springer to a bike with rear shocks, I have heard several different opinions on this.
I know there have been some conversions involving adding springer like Sanderman's, where he built his own, but I would like it a little more simple. Definitely do not want to go to a hard-tail.

Thanks for any input on this.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Springer front end
Reply #1 - 06/15/20 at 04:40:46

What you're looking for is a girder - I've seen many 70's amen savior framed bikes with girders - google - Durfee girder front end.

There was even someone here 7-8 yrs ago with one. No idea if it had a disk or not. Good luck on the project. And pics please.

PS: This looks a beaut.
http://www.spartanframeworks.com/Forks/Girders.shtml

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/15/20 at 14:39:23

Cool idea, pics if you go for it!

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #3 - 06/15/20 at 16:05:27

-
Like srinath, my clear preference is for the girder. That said, I would argue that the springer does in fact play well when done right on the Savage. And if you were just a bit closer, we'd cobble one of those girders I have out on the shop onto your bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbuTXjslggU&t=10s

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 06/16/20 at 13:07:53

Looks like a springer but acts like a girder (or something like that LOL)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BSA-C11-10-B21-250cc-Front-Springer-Girder-Fork-Asse...

The problem with any of these I am seeing is - once again - as with all front end swaps - The tank.
This promises to hit the tank … hard.
As does the spartanframeworks one.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/16/20 at 13:19:25

Add shims to turn limiters?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/16/20 at 13:25:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/16/20 at 13:19:25:
Add shims to turn limiters?

It wont turn 3 degrees either way LOL.
Of course most all modding with this bike, the first thing to go is the tank, it looks wrong on everything except a stock bike.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 06/17/20 at 04:02:33

This came up not 10 miles away. Columbia SC craigslist. $1750.

https://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/d/lexington-vintage-cl450-chopper-old/714268
5566.html

Not too shabby IMHO, but I'd have raked it further to get the original motor stance which I believe was vertical not canted back.

Pics - in case the ad gets pulled.

Cool.
Srinath.

Girder_FE1.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 06/17/20 at 04:03:04

More pic. I cant tell if its canted back or not now, it may be the slope of the driveway or camera being tilted to one side. Dunno.
Cool.
Srinath

Girder_FE2.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 06/17/20 at 04:03:33

More pic

Girder_FE3.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 06/17/20 at 04:04:20

More pic,

Girder_FE4.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 06/17/20 at 13:23:05

I think I have enough contacts to make a "kit" for something like this -
http://www.spartanframeworks.com/Forks/Girders.shtml

Its not going to be welded but will require minimal welding, and it may be a bit open to shock choice/rake choice caliper location - BTW that design IMHO is likely to break at a few of those welds. As good a welder is, if they leave a weld open to pure shear like the tops of the springs IMHO is a disaster waiting to happen.
I'll build it so the thing will stay in place even if there were no welds - almost 100% bolted together. Cos I am an engineer - a civil engineer and not a welder.

I'd also like to get it completely adjustable for rake and wheel base with just shock and dog bone choice.
I'll also try to build it around an easy to find used shock, like a Katana 600 so you have a lot of applicable swappers cos all rear shocks off nearly all monoshock bikes made ad-nauseum will fit with minimal dog bone mods.
And dog bones being adjustable with many holes will do it some real good too.
This is a good product that's missing a few easy options and complicates a few things unneccessarily.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #12 - 06/17/20 at 20:00:43

Hey All, thanks for comments, I get the gridder thing, may have made a mis-statement to reference in original post. A springer is what I am imagining, with the offset at bottom to axle. I want to keep the bike level with just a bit of stretch up front. Fast650 sent me a link to Sugarbear, nice stuff but price is up around doing the Seeger/AME triples and extended forks. Looking for something more practical as to cost.

Thought was with the post, is there an off the shelf springer that fits with little to no mods that anyone knows of? Building a custom springer is thrown away money, cost as much as the bike. Putting a 2k front end on a Savage is not in my budget, I would consider a grand. At that price if I couldn't sell ride, if necessary, I could swap it back to the forks and still have the springer.

My thoughts at current are with 3 savage/s40's currently in my possesion there will be a Savage in the shop in mod mode for the forseeable future.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 06/18/20 at 08:10:48

I'm shooting for something in the $5-600 range - with finishing and welding left to the buyer.
Also the non weld needed parts will be made with stainless.
The welding will be minimal and the bike would roll and be transportable on trailers etc.
That way you assemble it at your garage and trailer it to the muffler shop.
Heck I'm hoping it will actually run pretty well to test ride it without welding, because once you weld it it may be not adjustable for rake, trail (independent of rake) etc.
It will be fit to a savage wheel and brake. Drilling may be required for brake fitment the way I have it designed.
Rest assured $1000 isn't going to be breached. But shock would need to be bought as is welding and brake line and a few other nic nacks. But savage front wheel, disk and caliper are to be reused.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 06/19/20 at 15:26:08

Gaaa looks like I'll have to redesign - or design, cant rip off spartanframeworks - the true girder at every pivot has a bushing or a needle bearing. Worse yet, the addition of rake isn't easy with the thing unless you want it to handle worthlessly cos it will have a huge negative trail.

I'm on it, but may do a raked triple set to take dirt bike forks first. Cos he's got material for that yeaaaayyyyyy ….

Now anyone has a CAD drawing of a savage triple ? Upper or lower is fine.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:22:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Springer front end

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.