Springer front end (Read 305 times)
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Re: Springer front end
Reply #15 - 06/19/20 at 20:35:32

-
Sure you don't want a leafy? And then, would those laser cut question marks in the front rotor be a form of situational irony?

And I post this springer, not so much as an example of a springer, but for the upper forward controls mount. And now get that life insurance premium paid up, would you.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 06/20/20 at 06:53:08

Those are both not bikes I've ever seen … but I am also shooting for a 9 degree rake. Else a springer is a joke, you can buy an Injun made one for $330 or so, mod it a bit and viola.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-3HW-3SW-WWII-350CC-FRONT-END-GIRDER-FORKS-CH...

Its actually worth asking those guys a few questions and seeing what they've done with the stem, what dia the axle is (which is likely decipherable from the model they sell it for.
In any case, the rake is what's gonna require the engineering, and the fact that I would take trail to near 0 making it handle light and low effort - far far lower than a stock savage if you were to do like my dirt bike FE of 10 yrs ago.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 06/20/20 at 08:17:42

srinath:

Not sure what you mean by "take the trail to near 0" - but if you do you will get an evil handling bike.  Normal trail is between 3-6 inches.

http://www.thompsonchoppers.com/rake-and-trail-calculator/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 06/20/20 at 09:03:35

Trail should on a raked out bike should be low - well under the 3".
The wheel base gonna determine your turning radius and how nimble it actually is.
The rake which would get close to 45 degrees will also make for a slow steering bike.
Trail should be low, else the effort to steer would be ridiculous not to mention raking it at the neck vs raking with triples has its own set of math.
You remember about my KX125 fork fitted bike right. It had 9 degrees of rake all at the triple. he ride height was almost unchanged from stock. If I had the forks fitted the right way - with the axle leading - the bike handled like crap.
Flip the legs left to right and the axle trailing instant heaven. It felt lighter to steer than a stock savage, in also was quicker off the line and oddly I thought it just was better in every way compared to a savage - handling, braking, acceleration etc etc etc.
Now the front end contribution is mainly the fact that while it added almost a foot to the wheel base and 9+ to the rake it also turned a small negative trail from the right way to a small positive trail by flipping, a 21" aluminum wheel spins slower at any speed than the stock 19 and its narrower, lighter by a lot (aluminum vs steel) and the best part was due to the kinetic energy of rotation dependent on square of the rpm, cutting the rpm by 20% gives you a 44%+ reduction in RKE.

The rear end was lightened by tossing the fender, rear seat sissy bar etc etc etc as well as that boat anchor of a muffler and the carrier bracket was cut to just the minimum required to slap the exhaust can. Instant nirvana - just from that, but the handling is where the front end shines.

The trail for a non raked @ the triple with 3" - 6" would work. Obviously a lot of jap bikes are built around those numbers. But the raking at the triple is an entirely new animal.
That's why I keep saying 9 degrees, dirt bike front end flip the legs 1000's of times.
If you've ridden a virago 535 or even a vulcan 750 or a Yamaha 700 maxim etc etc you'd see a bike with an extra 100 lb or so handles with such lighter effort than the savage.
The savage is light and has low CG and you'd think 5.8 trail would make it light handling, except that offset in the triples is killer. That's one reason it has such high effort to steer compared to anything even much heavier. Rake it an added 9+ stretch it a foot and nowhere near 5.8 would be rideable. Stuff like the seeger kit - I have to look into it maybe it makes the trail near 0 but running a dirt bike FE the right way will get you negative trail.

Actually let me build my FE and I'll send y'all an invite to come and ride it - Near Columbia SC. When you're this way you're welcome to come by.

I actually have some guys who I'm talking to about building it as a custom item - you buy a dirt FE and send me the fork diameter and the c/c distance and I'll cut plates with 9 degree rake. Sort of like a mail in custom service. Lets see how it works out for the prototype.

Below is the bike I did 10+ yrs ago, and sadly it was rear ended on the first ride (almost) I sepnt 3 months going to chiropractor every week and I sold that bike within days of the accident cos I was just not having happy thoughts about it.

Cool.
Srinath.

cheater_chopper3_002.jpg
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #19 - 06/22/20 at 01:03:37

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 06/22/20 at 07:10:36

I've been emailing those guys, asking them for a detailed upper triple drawing, and if they're thick enough to mig weld or has to be tig welded cos we need a brake bracket and some other general info like that, and promptly they reply saying - get this - It will cost $1600.
OK then, sounds great, lets order 100 and - No I don't think so.
I'll first start with the raked out mail order triples made to fit dirt bike forks.
Lets see if the guys want to mess with my bike standing in their shop - apparently there is an entire gaggle of welders, machinists, fabricators and none of em rides a motorcycle. I think I've found the only pack of 50-60 metal smiths who don't ride a bike like WTFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 06/22/20 at 16:15:00

Doesn't look too promising on those Indian units...

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 06/23/20 at 05:24:44

ohiomoto wrote on 06/22/20 at 16:15:00:
Doesn't look too promising on those Indian units...

And they dont have any people skill either.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #23 - 06/23/20 at 21:20:17

So, lots of discussion, but my original question was intended to be about a springer that was an easy fit on our ride. Not looking to, as they say, re-invent the wheel here in fabrication, just maybe do some bolt up, spacer install type modiication.

My toughts were stock offsets good. Maybe a little stretch, increase rake, but not change level of bike. I had a recommend from Fast to look into Sugarbear, got an exposure to them on Counting Cars last week, money just too much. Companies like TC Bros have a $500.00 front end for a Yamaha XS 650, but they specify it to dimensions of a Harly, which is actually what they modify for application. For example they say it is a "standard length for a Harley", but with bearings to fit an XS 650, but don't really tell you what those dimensions are. I was just looking for some reference for going forward.

So my question really was has anyone bolted a springer on and what was it, and what was involved to do it. Thanks to all who replied.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 06/24/20 at 05:22:41

IIRC yamaha bearings were 25 and 28mm Suzuki like the savage was 25 30. You may be able to get the 55 OD needed in a 28ID lower and slap that in there and the stock upper would work.
The basic idea is upper is 25 id 47 OD, lower is 30 X 55. 189mm free stem length. If you can ream that lower triple 2mm OD you can put the savage stem in there.
Oh a stock HD is 1" - may be the 25mm upper will fit it but you can just sleeve the lower to 30 mm. Its 2 mins for a machinist even if you had to shave the upper 1" to 25mm. Then you could just use a HD wheel/disk set.

Remember the legs of that springer will clobber the stock tank. So you'd need to change that.
But you may end up with a much better handling bike, even the stock rake springer FE looks long and like it will leave your offset much smaller than the savage has right as it is, making for a low trail.

Try it and post back. The biggest issue I was facing was that I am trying to rake it just with the front end. I need to design it etc etc and no one wants to make it looks like.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #25 - 06/24/20 at 11:57:35

Another thing to watch out for when adapting a springer made for a different model, it is easy to get the geometry all messed up. With the wrong combination of rake and rocker length, it is possible to turn the wheel to the left and discover that the bike is turning right even though the wheel is still turned to the left. If it does that you and the bike will fall hard in the blink of an eye.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #26 - 06/24/20 at 15:06:42

To an earlier point, many of Sugar Bear's springers had 0 trail. And handled beautifully. Kinda hard to get my head around. But then, given the severe rake and weight of those bikes, you'd want to do all you could to avoid the potential for "flop" I suppose.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 06/24/20 at 16:22:20

0 trail means the rake and wheel base keep the bike from changing direction too quickly without a handlebar input (rather the wheel doesn't force a handlebar input nor does it take monster effort to prevent it), however on a light as a feather bike like a savage if you don't rake it more than say 12 or so degrees and don't stretch it more than a foot or so, you could get a fantastically low steering effort bike is 1" or therebouts of trail.

This sucker handled with near no effort - might have hit 1" for its trail number. Stable as the gold standard till you tip the handlebar or lean the bike.

Cool.
Srinath.

cheater_chopper5_002.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #28 - 06/24/20 at 16:23:58

This was a nightmare - same bike, forks wheel etc - just installed the right way around.
Cool.
Srinath.

cheater_chopper15.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 06/25/20 at 13:11:26

I've seen some of those sugar bear choppers, huge huge girder/springer front ends, with even a massive Klingon "batleth" like extension and a 21" wheel …
The part that's hard to see is - the rake is in the neck. The neck may be raked 50 degrees, the massive front end would turn that 50 rake to say 48. But the wheelbase is now several feet longer, mass in centralized cos the motor, the rear wheel and the rider are several feet away from the front end.
Then they have the huge extension to fit a 21" wheel … effectively the whole thing ends with … 0 trail. It steers with low effort - but obviously like something that's 10 feet long.

I'd almost say its a good compromise to get a good looking (if that's your preferred look) and a rideable bike as long as you know your front wheel is in the next zip code.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:24:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Springer front end

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.