Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Irregular pattern Headlight Modulator (Read 133 times)
Jdvt600

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Irregular pattern Headlight Modulator
06/14/20 at 08:51:24

Hopefully without spiraling into a debate about their viability...

Does anyone know of a headlight modulator that uses an irregular tempo to strobe? All of the popular modulators seem to have a regular tempo. I've seen irregular modulators on other bikes out on the road but I'm not having much luck with Google.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Irregular pattern Headlight Modulator
Reply #1 - 06/14/20 at 08:56:07

Intermittent short...  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jdvt600

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/15/20 at 09:29:47

FYI, I got a reply from a vendor. Apparently it's law that they flash at a regular interval. To me this makes it more likely to be mistaken as an emergency vehicle.

"Our module flashes at a steady rate. This is required by the DOT. They give a very specific flash rate that the module must have to be legal."

Thought I'd close the loop for anyone who cares.

« Last Edit: 06/15/20 at 15:35:42 by Jdvt600 »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/15/20 at 10:29:10

Good info,...
I never thought about the emergency vehicle thing...
I can see your logic there.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/15/20 at 12:07:13

I've seen the psychotic modulator on a car once... thought it appropriate.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/15/20 at 13:24:50

Cool, cuz Ive been looking at variable circuits trying to find one that kinda sorta randomizes,, now Ill stop,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #6 - 06/15/20 at 13:35:38

My Kaw Vulcan 800 headlight has a single-bolt rubber-mounted headlight. The rubber mount causes the headlight to shake and bounce a little. I have thought about trying to tighten it up, but on second thought, the vibration does make a noticeable light movement when it it is coming at you.

I have decided that I would rather be noticed, than have a solid headlight mount, so I have left it as it is. I don't ride at night, anyway, so it doesn't bother me when riding.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/15/20 at 14:40:09

I read the laws for the headlight modulators once.  Not only are the flash rates regulated..........but the light is not allowed to go ON/OFF - it is required the light go BRIGHT/DIM, and the dim portion is not allowed to drop below something like 60% of the full intensity.  This may be how they make the emergency flashers stand out more - as they are allowed to go completely off and also have erratic patterns.

Filament bulbs tend to ramp up and down with these flashers and the change is slightly gradual - I wonder what happens if you use an LED headlight bulb?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/15/20 at 15:32:34

I dont have a modulator, but when Im watching someone and Im not sure they see me,, I will flash high/low at them,, several times,, fast..and swereve in my lane,, giving their eye something that isnt a stationary dot,,
Granted,, the gal that ran over me didnt even give me time to hit the brakes,,as soon as the beer truck was clear of her fender, she nailed it,, I was in the next lane
she nailed me
No light was gonna save that from happening,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #9 - 06/15/20 at 16:32:41

"I dont have a modulator, but when Im watching someone and Im not sure they see me,, I will flash high/low at them,, several times,, fast..and swereve in my lane,, giving their eye something that isnt a stationary dot"

I also do the swervy thing as an extra incentive for someone to notice I'm there.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/15/20 at 20:07:06

bobert_FSO wrote on 06/15/20 at 16:32:41:
"I dont have a modulator, but when Im watching someone and Im not sure they see me,, I will flash high/low at them,, several times,, fast..and swereve in my lane,, giving their eye something that isnt a stationary dot"

I also do the swervy thing as an extra incentive for someone to notice I'm there.
----

I'm bobbing and weaving all over all of the time.  It get drivers attention and it's fun!  

Lights, Helmets, Action saves lives! (NOT loud pipes that make most of their noise after you pass by everyone.)

Unfortunately, we still risk our lives every time we get on a road, JOG can attest to that.

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/16/20 at 07:13:43

My cheapo eBay headlight has leds in it for turn signals.
It wouldn't be much to swap them out for the ones that blink. I have some in a box. After a bit they become random because they flash at different rates.  They come in the usual led colors on eBay, pre wired.
There are also ones that slowly color switch, but the colors are not all state friendly.

IP Logged
Jdvt600

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/16/20 at 09:32:57

bobert_FSO wrote on 06/15/20 at 13:35:38:
My Kaw Vulcan 800 headlight has a single-bolt rubber-mounted headlight. The rubber mount causes the headlight to shake and bounce a little. I have thought about trying to tighten it up, but on second thought, the vibration does make a noticeable light movement when it it is coming at you.

I have decided that I would rather be noticed, than have a solid headlight mount, so I have left it as it is. I don't ride at night, anyway, so it doesn't bother me when riding.

Sounds like a potential solution for my bike in the future.

IP Logged
Jdvt600

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/16/20 at 13:47:35

I decided to give the rubber mounts a try.

Using spare fuel line I made four rubber washers. I trimmed the sides to fit the square hole on the headlight casing. Each mount point is now rubber. It's been raining here but I'll give it a go later and see how visible the bounce is on the light.

Case attached to lower fork bridge.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/19/20 at 04:37:42

Modulated headlights give me a headache.. literally.  I can deal with one coming at me, as it will soon be gone.
But, if you are behind me, I will pull over and let you go by.  If I am leading a ride and you have one, I will ask you to turn it off.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:29:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Irregular pattern Headlight Modulator

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.