Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Irregular pattern Headlight Modulator (Read 133 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Irregular pattern Headlight Modulator
Reply #15 - 06/19/20 at 09:20:46

youzguyz wrote on 06/19/20 at 04:37:42:
Modulated headlights give me a headache.. literally.  I can deal with one coming at me, as it will soon be gone.
But, if you are behind me, I will pull over and let you go by.  If I am leading a ride and you have one, I will ask you to turn it off.

I was on the interstate and a large touring bike came up behind me that had two bright white lights on each side of the headlight that were modulating. It was daylight and even with that the bright lights in my mirror were incredibly obnoxious - I had to slow down a lot before he would pass.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Irregular pattern Headlight Modulator
Reply #16 - 06/21/20 at 04:00:19

I've had a modulator on my GS500 for 3 years now. I feel much safer, especially as in the bright summers down here make it difficult to even tell when a headlight is on during the day thus defeating the purpose of being forced to have them on, on a m/cycle. Therefore if it's a good idea to force m/cycles to have their headlights on then it's obviously a better idea to have a modulator.

I'll often go months at a time with no reaction, but then I'll have a flurry (2 or 3) within a short time flash me as they tend to think they are alerting me to a problem. I still get people pull out in front of me, but I also see people hesitate. Sometimes people slow down when they see me coming as they get confused and think I may be the fuzz.

Sure there'll always be those who b!tch about it on forums and come up with some convoluted reason why it's a bad idea. But bottom line is, who gives a fcuk about them if you know that people notice you better.

Flashing your headlights can be taken as a sign that it's OK to pull out in front, and moving your headlight from side to side to get attention by wobbling the handlebars can likewise be seen as aggressive.

I've only ever seen one other modulating headlight in 3 years. I ride to save my life and I'm always trying to think a long way ahead. Nevertheless, a modulator makes me easier to see and no matter how small a percentage that it, it's better than not having it.

The law usually requires that any modulating must be at least 4 per second, which means that that the filament never goes out so it doesn't reduce the lifetime of the bulb.

Modulating is also illegal if it spans two different lights as this usually signals an emergency vehicle. I feel better with the modulator operating and knowing I'm more visible. While most road users are not aware that they are legal, I've never had a problem with the fuzz who all seem to know, the rules.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:33:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Irregular pattern Headlight Modulator

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.