Send Topic Print
Is this even true? (Read 56 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Is this even true?
06/12/20 at 16:28:32

Good GRIEF!! If it IS!,,Of course Hillary called him her Greatest Mentor..

https://pelosi.house.gov/news/press-releases/pelosi-remarks-at-the-funeral-of-se
nator-robert-c-byrd

But ,, Republicans are the racists,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Is this even true?
Reply #1 - 06/13/20 at 05:13:48

These are typically accurate.  I don't know which one you are referencing but you can call the Speaker's Press Office at 202-226-7616 with questions.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 06/13/20 at 06:53:24

Well,, Ive heard Byrd was a big KKK guy,, and I know Hillary called him
her Greatest Mentor,, But I didnt know Nancy was so big on him,,
Funny how Close association, announcing admiration, to some huge racist piece of nuts doesnt leave a stain on those sufficiently Left of reasonable..
Somehow I dont think the lefties would let that go if it was Trump.. Nope,, dont see it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/13/20 at 11:04:19

Well he was involved in the 40's and then spent a ton of time admitting the "mistake" and was known for encouraging people to stay away from the KKK.

If you don't like Byrd or people who have said anything positive about him, then his statements are probably lies, and he really secretly regrets nothing and his supporters are hypocrites.

If you do like Byrd, and any of the people that support him he is a prime example of change, ability to admit mistakes and own up to his issues like a man.

Same event, same documented statements, different outcomes based off personal opinion.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/13/20 at 11:09:24

Or,, maybe I could just go with the evidence,, and his own words,, and actions,,that are indelibly committed to historical record,,

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op-Ed/2010/07/07/Byrd-s-racist-past-shou...

Immediately after his years in the Klan, Mr. Byrd's behavior was consistent with his racist philosophy. He used his power in the Senate to oppose President Harry Truman's integration of U.S. armed forces and in 1944 wrote in a letter to fellow segregationist Sen. Theodore Bilbo of Mississippi that he would "never submit to fight beneath that banner with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."

Mr. Byrd was an opponent of all civil rights legislation in this country, joining with segregationists to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He also opposed the nomination of Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, and, as recently as the 1980s, continued to oppose the nomination of African-Americans to prominent office, including Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court, Janice Rogers Brown to the United State Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and Condoleezza Rice as secretary of state.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/13/20 at 14:52:55

"Or,, maybe I could just go with the evidence,, and his own words,, and actions,,that are indelibly committed to historical record,,"

You mean those words, or these words that are also his own words, and actions, that are indelibly committed to historical record?:

"After about a year, I became disinterested, quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization. During the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan."

"the greatest mistake I ever made."

"Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck."

"was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."

"I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

Nah not that evidence.

Like I said, if you are ok with the people that reference him he changed his ways.

If you re not ok, he never changed his ways.

Same statements, different opinion.

As far as I am concerned I am not a racist if I don't care what a racist says.  But many people would disagree.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/13/20 at 15:34:52

Immediately after his years in the Klan, Mr. Byrd's behavior was consistent with his racist philosophy. He used his power in the Senate to oppose President Harry Truman's integration of U.S. armed forces and in 1944 wrote in a letter to fellow segregationist Sen. Theodore Bilbo of Mississippi that he would "never submit to fight beneath that banner with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."

Mr. Byrd was an opponent of all civil rights legislation in this country, joining with segregationists to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He also opposed the nomination of Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, and, as recently as the 1980s, continued to oppose the nomination of African-Americans to prominent office, including Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court, Janice Rogers Brown to the United State Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and Condoleezza Rice as secretary of state.

Show me it is not true

Then,, IF TRue,, we can compare Actions to Words.. and see

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/13/20 at 16:40:14

"Show me it is not true"

Nobody said it was not true.  

Show me that what he said in my references are not true.  See how that works?  We get nowhere real fast.

Again:

If you like the people that say something about Byrd, then he is a man who screwed up, and then changed.

If you do not like the people that say something about Byrd he is still a racist.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/13/20 at 16:57:21

No,, AFTER he said he was not a racst,, his Behavior proved otherwise..
Or
The statements are untrue,,

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/14/20 at 11:53:22

Looking over the timeline I'd say it is plausible that even after renouncing his actions when he was younger, it sure took a while to stop leaning that direction.  Right about 40 years.

If I took 40 years to fix the things I did when I was a stupid 20 year old I'd have over 2 decades left to keep being a jerk.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/14/20 at 12:42:39

He didnt FIX anything,, He SAID he was sorry for being a racist
THEN
Using his position of POwer
Continued to BE a racist.
Just stop wigglin and admit it,,
He was a sackofshit, and Hillary and Pelosi loved him,,
Its not gonna hurt
bad

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/14/20 at 14:30:25

Is he the President?... Did I miss something?...
You seem so concerned about someone's past racism, but ignore Trump's current racism...

Why am I not Surprised..
Oh!,... look over there!,.. is that a bird?.. Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/14/20 at 14:36:48

Trump
Racist

Show me

And I'm talking about you lefties being hypocrites
Using the beloved Byrd to prove it.

Pelosi and Hillary?
Not shunning them..

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/14/20 at 16:26:34

"Just stop wigglin and admit it,,"

Another case of asking me to "admit" that I already agree with you.  

How many times would you like me to say it this time before you accept it?  Just a direct number that I can repeat in one post please so I don't spend time typing multiple posts trying to explain we agree over and over.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/14/20 at 16:46:42

Didt look like agreement,, Looked like deflection,,
Maybe saying
I agree with you wuld help me understand

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 14:26:08

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Is this even true?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.