Water in gas (maybe?) (Read 93 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Water in gas (maybe?)
06/11/20 at 07:10:18

Hey guys,

So, I filled up Tuesday afternoon at a little 2 pump gas station, (was down to reserve).  

Rode on, everything seemed fine for 2-3 miles, then "no fuel" symptoms began: hesitating, chugging, backfiring, etc.  

I was able to keep it running with "choke" all the way out about 50 miles to get home, but no power.  Wanted to die at more than 1/2 throttle, etc.

I drained tank thinking water in gas and refilled with fresh gas from my regular station.  Took a short ride ~ 1 mile and no improvement.

I'm thinking now to take off carb and use compressed air to make sure all passages are clear.  Does that make sense?

(BTW, it's not the petcock.  I already defeated the vaccuum petcock ala the instructions in the DIY section of this site.)

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Water in gas (maybe?)
Reply #1 - 06/11/20 at 08:49:32

Check the screen filter above the float valve. It can get blocked, or part blocked and cause that.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #2 - 06/11/20 at 10:37:59

I'll be sure to check that, thanks.  

I was thinking about it at work today... Could there still be bad gas in the carb that needs to "work through"?   I drained the tank by disconnecting fuel hose from carb, so there would be some residual gas in carb.

When I started it with new gas this AM, it probably idled for 30 sec while putting helmet on, then rode about 1/2 mile - clearly still having problems.  Didn't want to get stranded too far from home, so headed back, barely could keep it running with choke on.  Then I had to get ready for work, so didn't try anything else

So, I idled 30 sec and rode about  a mile at 20-30 mph.  Would that be long enough to make sure the new gas is through the carb?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 06/11/20 at 11:34:59

Water is heavier than fuel and seeks the lowest point in the fuel system. If you suspect water in the fuel you can place the petcock on RESERVE and then drain the fuel into a clear glass or jar. Within seconds the mixture will settle and if there is water in the fuel it will settle below the fuel. The water is clear and the fuel has that redish tone. If the contents of the glass are clear...keep draining. If the contents only look like (and smell like) fuel, then you have no water.

Don't tell your wife why there is a glass missing from the cabinet.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/11/20 at 11:47:08

Drain the bowl..Be sure nothing is left.

And yeah,, LOOK at the suspect fuel,,
Check the petcock, be sure its all the way in the on position,, BUt after ya drain the bowl, set it on Prime,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 06/11/20 at 11:58:26

With your motorcycle standing upright (not leaning on the sidestand), drain the carburetor into a small container.  Use the drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl.  As Gary said, water is heavier than fuel.  Any water will accumulate in the bottom of the float bowl, right where the drain screw is.  So when you drain the float bowl using the drain screw, the water should be the first liquid to exit.

Examine the liquid that you catch in the container.  If there is water in there it will be evident.  Pretty hard to miss a drop of water in gas.  If you see water, I suggest you remove the float bowl and clean it out.

Since you were running on reserve there's a good chance the water was already in your tank (possibly condensation from winter storage).  When you flip to reserve the petcock passes through the junk on the bottom of the tank.  No matter how it got in there, if you have water in the sytem you need to get it out.

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #6 - 06/11/20 at 20:31:59

I use to have a KLR 650 and had the same thing happen to me, it was my vacuum operated petcock gone bad.
Get ap raptor petcock, only $30 and you'll have know that's definitely not it

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 06/12/20 at 05:10:51

I previously deleted the vacuum part of the petcock as shown in the DIY section of the forum, so I knew the petcock wasn't the issue. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1113631600/6#6

Last night I drained the tank again and the carb bowl- gas looked ok visually.  

Tore the carb apart and found a hunk of crud in the main jet. (Hmm,that just might be the problem!)

Sprayed and blew everything out of the carb, put it all together and running good again!  Smiley

Thanks guys

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/12/20 at 20:23:53

I bet there is probably a hunk of crud in the main jet.  Clean it out and it will be running good again! Smiley

You're welcome

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/15/20 at 09:05:10

runwyrlph wrote on 06/12/20 at 05:10:51:
I previously deleted the vacuum part of the petcock as shown in the DIY section of the forum, so I knew the petcock wasn't the issue. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1113631600/6#6

Last night I drained the tank again and the carb bowl- gas looked ok visually.  

Tore the carb apart and found a hunk of crud in the main jet. (Hmm,that just might be the problem!)

Sprayed and blew everything out of the carb, put it all together and running good again!  Smiley

Thanks guys

Isnt this forum best?
A lot of old bikers and a lot of knowledege about this bike.
In anyway, I drive this LS650 frome my storage/transport company at first, at a lot of choke, tupt up 99 oktan at nearest pump, get home at that, at home it seems to idle as it should.
To that I found out that there is a Leo Vince Silvetail K02 slip on exhauste system on this bike.. and some sort of home made end damper.. almost right trou.. a lot of backfiring.
After a week i got both the original Susuki exhauste and the original Leo Vince K02 end damper, I put it on emedetly.. the origonaly Leo Vince end damper. No more backfires, sutes my fine. It looks a bit more Custom then Suzuki original.
But at easter.. a lot of choke, my exhauste get both yelow and some parts blue. Suposebly by E10 fuel, not draining my tank or carburator?
Thats to that, I was stupid.. drain your tank and carburator on winther.
IE there are any other things to think about, at first winteraisation, drain it, some people got there bikes as a heretige frome a father or any els, after 10 yers, mayby rost in the tank. The petcock filter situation,, probably mostly about rost in the tank. Next thing the vacum hose, good fiting and no bad rubber, not even a visibly cracklings.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 06/15/20 at 10:26:55

ohiomoto is brilliant!.. Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/15/20 at 14:26:49

AbSoLootLee!  Well Done Ohio,,

Wheres the Standin O emoji?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:15:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Water in gas (maybe?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.