Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lightened Flywheel (Light vs Super Light) (Read 175 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Lightened Flywheel (Light vs Super Light)
Reply #15 - 06/13/20 at 06:48:07

Thanks for the well written comments, Dave.
I got the idea of lightening the flywheel on the Savage after cutting umpteen flywheels for Ducatis. I'd knock anywhere from a couple pounds to a lot of pounds (depending on which model the flywheel came from) off of the Duc flywheels. No complaints ever.
We did install an aluminum race flywheel on my bud's 900SS, and swapped back to the steel one. The aluminum one weighed only 8 ounces, as opposed to maybe 4 pounds for a light steel one. The bike had trouble idling, and was prone to stall on a hard stop. Not a prob on the track, but no fun on the street.
I've also installed light flywheels on a lot of Airhead BMWs. BMW put in progressively lighter flywheels for many years, until they went to essentially a stamped steel clutch carrier in '81. Honestly, the light BMW flywheels are prob too light. The bikes now vibrate a bit, which is one thing a heavy flywheel can dampen.
I don't do light Ducati flywheels any more, simply because Ducati now use light flywheels in most of their bikes. Duc decided that there was no need for the boat anchors any more.
Suzuki realized that a lot of the folks being the bikes would be beginners and prob not meticulous about maintenance. The boat anchor flywheel makes for a bike more likely to idle well even if out of tune.
Like it says in my tag line "In theory, theory and realty are the same thing, in reality, they aren't."
Theoretically, the bikes might need the heavy flywheel, in reality, they don't.
My problem now is that I no longer have access to a CNC mill, so the machining would have to be done on my manual machines, which would take way too much time.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Lightened Flywheel (Light vs Super Light)
Reply #16 - 06/13/20 at 09:14:20

Its this.. this forum is best!
Many old bikers/LS 650/S40 owners a lot of experiance!
IE I think the Suzuki enginers put on this flyweel to make it easyer to handle, at least for newbies?

Now comes some of my middle age experiance, some of my friends got girl friends.. I dont know way, but some of them wanted there own bike, to get riding along there boyfriends.

Soo, in this years, some bought Yamaha SR 500, a nice bike, a big thumper a beginners bike!

In anyway.. it altso was a big thumper, and to that.. mayby becuse of newbie and not that much biking skills, they got those "käringstop", I cant find an english word for it?

In any way, the engin stoped dead after a stop when trying go after there         boyfriends.

IE, as a newbie on LS650, I altso hade some episods of "käringstops", mayby one can call this "girl stops?".. IE Im supose to be a experianced biker.. leason learnd, one need to use the gashandel and sliping a bit on the coupling anyway to get the bike runing?

At least, I got some old girl biker friends, they got much bigger bikes then mee, and they have riding a lot more then I have!

Summarised.. im kind of newbie, long time no riding, Im reluctante to have a big mass inertia in the engin for smoth riding!

In any case.. experianced riders dont need that, that much?

Sooo, the Suzuki enginers put the flyweel there for some purpose, mayby for newbies?

Soooo nr 2. ther are some more experianced bikers that still riding a LS650/S40, they have coming to the best forum, they can have a lot of advices about doing any mods to this wonderfull bike,, but dont do it a Bobber.. please!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 09:22:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lightened Flywheel (Light vs Super Light)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.