Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LED replacement turn signals (Read 103 times)
TonyNZ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LED replacement turn signals
05/31/20 at 18:12:09

Kia ora from New Zealand again team.

New question for you. As mentioned previously I'm building the RYCA CS-1 kit on a stock 2006 S40.

I replaced the stock 4 turn signal indicators with the LEDs supplied by RYCA (integrated with the tail/brake light at the back).

As expected the indicators ran too fast (hyper flashing) so I replaced the flasher module with a generic electronic one from my local auto parts shop.

That seemed to fix the issue and the flashers settled down to a nice even one/per second or so.

However, now I've managed to mostly reassemble the bike and got it to start (minor miracle Grin), once the engine is running the turn signals hyperflash again.

I've installed a really nice Acewell Speedo that has a digital voltmeter built in. With the ignition switch on but engine NOT running I get about 12.8v. Witht he engine running I get a reading of about 14.4v. A few questions if i may:

1. Is the increase in voltage with the engine running my problem? Is that enough to trick the flasher module into hyperflashing because of a lack of LED resistance? Or is something more sinister happening?
2. Why would my electronic flasher unit care - I thought they were designed to work with LEDs anyway so why the problem with the engine running? Is the flasher unit just rubbish and I need a different one (not that easy to find in New Zealand)
3. Is the answer to install some load resistors into the LED circuit?
4. If so what do I need? I can buy a pair of 12V, 21W load resistors with heat sinks locally, can they do the trick?
5. How many do I need - would it be enough to install one pair across the rear LED lamps (easiest to get to at the moment) or would I need to install 4 resistors in total - one across each LED lamp?
6. My understanding is they go in parallel from the LED Positive feed to the  earth - have I got my facts right?

Thx All!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: LED replacement turn signals
Reply #1 - 05/31/20 at 18:18:39

TonyNZ wrote on 05/31/20 at 18:12:09:
I've installed a really nice Acewell Speedo that has a digital voltmeter built in. With the ignition switch on but engine NOT running I get about 12.8v. Witht he engine running I get a reading of about 14.4v.

should be less than 14v
I'd fix that 1st.

WWW   IP Logged
TonyNZ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/31/20 at 19:58:12

thanks verslagen  -you're saying that 14.5v is too high? A lot of other posts I read seem to think 12.5-14.5 is ideal, but not for the Savage?

Where would  start to  look to fix this? Is it just a case of getting a new Regulator/Rectifier or would I need to do some further tests first?

Thx

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 06/01/20 at 05:05:30

14.4 volts is on the high side but not unusual for a Suzuki. There is no way to adjust it, so don’t worry about it. It is what it is.

The running voltage has nothing to do with hyper flash. Have you confirmed that all 4 directionals are still connected and working? Perhaps one is loose.

I have an Acewell indicator on my TS-Z400 street tracker and I think it’s outstanding. I see 13.8 to 14.3 VDC with the engine running on the indicator, yet a meter on the battery shows 14.0 to 14.4 VDC.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 06/01/20 at 14:10:51

You may be over thinking the problem, with 12.8 v on the battery with the motor off just shows you have a new(strong) battery. 14.4 v running shows your alternator is strong as well . If you're hyper flashing it may be because you just started the bike and the battery is recharging and the voltage regulator hasn't backed off yet ,you might try simply using the headlight high beam and see if that slows the flashers, it should unless you've also gone to LED headlight/tail light also, that could be bad as you end up with very little load on the system, and a high recharging rate on the battery. A faster flashing rate isn't the end of the world,it's better than one that's to slow. The battery being 12.8v is high ,did you have it on a charger for starting? if you did you should see a slight drop just by letting sit over night.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #5 - 06/01/20 at 18:22:52

If all your flashers are working but just too fast, get an electronic flasher with an adjustable rate.
I use one like this https://www.amazon.com/Sdootauto-Motorcycle-Adjustable-Flasher-Indicator/dp/B...

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/07/20 at 08:33:04

LED resistors are cheap online.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home