Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Valve cover removal on an '87 (Read 35 times)
BSA Chris
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valve cover removal on an '87
05/30/20 at 16:00:01

I am trying to fix the classic head bolt plug oil leak and I'm following Savage Greg's post on how to do it. In trying to remove the valve cover, the 70mm long bolt almost in the center of the cover hits the top frame tube. Am I going to be able to get the cover off without fully removing the bolt? I don't want to force anything. I read somewhere that on some Savages the engine has to be removed in order to do this job. I'm hoping that's not the case, here, although it might explain why the bike sat in the previous owner's garage for more that ten years and only has 9,000 miles on it in 33 years (3,000 of which I've done).

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Valve cover removal on an '87
Reply #1 - 05/30/20 at 16:22:14

You should be able to get the head cover off without fully removing the bolt.  Don't forget to insert it before you reinstall the head cover.  You won't be able to get the bolt in once the head cover is in place.

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
BSA Chris
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/30/20 at 16:31:52

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/30/20 at 19:07:23

As Mike said.....just pull the bolt up a little bit so the threads clear the head, and then take the head cover out with the bolt in place.

When I am putting the head cover back on - I wrap a bit of tape on that screw to hold it up so the screw bottom doesn't mess up my fresh sealant.  The tape just needs to be able to hold the screw from dropping down too far.  Once the head cover is on - just pull the tape off and let the screw drop into the head.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSA Chris
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/31/20 at 09:06:32

Thanks for the tip. I got it back together, no problem. Valves didn't even need adjusting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:10:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve cover removal on an '87

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.