Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interesting personal insight on my ride yesterday (Read 128 times)
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Interesting personal insight on my ride yesterday
05/30/20 at 10:14:27

So there has been a couple discussions lately about turn-out exhaust and noise. I commented in both about my experience with the VooDoo I installed on my older savage. So for the past 6 weeks or so since I finally got the baffle situation finalized I have been riding it exclusively, regulating my other, stock 2011 S40 to sitting around the shop. I will add that install of the second catalytic baffle cleaned up a lot of the issue with backfire and back pressure.

It being nice and warm yesterday here at the Jersey shore I decided last evening to take out the 2011, circulate some oil and charge the battery.  A cruise to the store and then down along the ocean. So what I discovered is how over the past 6 weeks my riding style has changed quite a bit when riding the louder, what I now refer to as the "snarly".

First thing I noticed was I was on the throttle a lot more on the stock bike. When on the snarly, I now tend to excellerate more slowly to keep the noise down. Also when cruising around locally I often leave it in a higher gear, to keep the rpms lower and hence quieter.

I realize now riding the louder bike has actually made me a more conscious and attentive rider. I now think about, for example, when riding through a residential neighborhood, am I making excessive noise and ride more thoughtfully. It's now a more relaxed slower cruise when on snarly. Not to say I wasn't back on the throttle last night, I did find myself riding at about what seemed on average maybe 5mph faster, often in a lower gear.

From my perspective maybe louder isn't safer from the stand point of other traffic hearing you, it in my case, as I suspected, makes me practice some safer riding habits.

That said, there still are plenty who get their kicks from letting their rides scream to announce them, it's part of the game. They are on it hard for maximum effect. Guy went by my shop yesterday on a poorly tuned Harley with drags, hearing the backfire when he let off the gas wasn't annoyingly loud, but so excessive it should have been embarrassing.

Anyway, my perspective has always been "Ride Safe, Ride Loud". After yesterday's ride I understand why that is the interpretation I have adapted.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Interesting personal insight on my ride yester
Reply #1 - 05/30/20 at 12:38:42

SoC, I agree with the points you make.

My motto is "Since this vehicle makes power by exploding fuel, let's hear those explosions."

This is tempered with "Be considerate and don't inflict your love of explosions on others". I'll admit that I don't like being blasted by others showing off their loud pipes. To me it is simply a selfish cry for attention.

So at stoplights and in quiet neighborhoods, I try to be considerate-- don't lay into the throttle, shift early. Out on more open roads, go ahead and make some noise.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #2 - 05/30/20 at 14:31:47

I guess we all have our own quirks.

I apply the 'form follows function' adage. I like the sound to represent the power (It's very subjective). For example, I think the Dyna muffler on the Savage could be just a touch louder. But it's still a big improvement on the 'sewing machine' sound of the stock muffler.

I can think of two extremes (neither of which I like). One of my friends has a modern BMW ... It sounds like the flying car from The Jetsons. It seems to me it should sound better than that. On the other hand, I have a friend with a 883 Sportster with open pipes. Whenever he rode passed my house I always thought "Mate, your bike is no where near as powerful as it sounds".

Just personal taste I 'spose.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/30/20 at 15:04:05

Im only 64++ and I bought this LS65 2000 and I have to ride  it frome the my local storgae  company  to my home!
'In anyway I bougj´this bike on photos.. I trústed him, he was an Honda dealer!
In any cause im swedisch.. I got a Leo  vince K02 Silveratial exhauste system to my bike!
Bla bla.. I Goglede it.. suposed to be a premium brand.. slip on not any changes for carburatorsrs at all!
In anycase I got the orignal exhauste in a parcel!
And to that.. you US or even Canadians .. myby some Mexicans.. strugge about some HD exhasuste! There is a lot of advices and to hove change jets in the carburatror! In anyway.. im gonna strugle with my Leo Vince K2 silvertail exhauste,, at least one more year.. after that I gonna put on the original Suzuki exhauste! :'(

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 05/31/20 at 04:54:50

I have a dyna and it's loud enough for me, but I would ride and electric bike.  

Look, if you want to he seen out there, loud exhausts aren't going to do it. (Bobbing and weaving around will do a better job of getting you seen.)  If you think it makes you a safer rider, then there is a totally different lesson to be had.  But, I respect that you want to be considerate of others. Be safe.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/31/20 at 05:22:35

I don't like loud motorcycles - be they sport bike, cruiser, motard or bobber/chopper.  Same goes for loud cars/trucks/semis.

The general public, my neighbors and other drivers/riders really don't want to have to hear your engine (or your loud stereo).

My wife and I were walking on a downtown Cincinnati sidewalk and a group of sport bike riders without mufflers went by us and were revving their engines and bouncing off the rev limiters........it really does create a negative image for motorcycle riders.  Another time we were in Covington, KY at Molly Malone's having dinner at their sidewalk table, and a Harley rider went by and gave us a loud display of his unmuffled V-twin, and we were only 10 feet from his straight pipes as he revved his engine for our listening pleasure (NOT).  My wife and I were hiking on a trail off the Cherohala Skyway, and we could hear some motorcycles for 15 minutes or more as they road up the Skyway and their open pipes echoed down the mountain valleys.

While I don't like over regulation - I really do believe there should be more enforcement of noise restrictions on bikes/cars/trucks.  I should not be able to hear your engine when you get 1/4 mile down the street.  It seems a bit odd that sound regulations for new cars and trucks keep getting more and more strict and mufflers keep getting bigger/heavier and more obnoxious looking - while at the same time the owner can take them off and make an unlimited amount of noise.

Sorry for the rant - but is it something that I have strong feelings about.  As far back as the 1970's the American Motorcycle Association have been fighting the noise issue, and they had a campaign called "Less Sound = More Ground", as riding areas were being closed as a result of motorcycles making too much noise.....this issue has been a problem for a very long time.

Could loud mufflers be one of the reasons that some campgrounds, parks and condominium associates ban motorcycles?  I believe loud exhaust and poor behavior are very well the main reasons that motorcycles are not welcome in some areas.

Be a good citizen and a courteous rider - ride with a reasonable muffler!

« Last Edit: 05/31/20 at 11:25:29 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/31/20 at 06:56:56

With the Dyna I csn regulate the noise level just fine. Gentle throttle and I can Oooze past a hospital or horse and rider..Or, If the time is right,, I can wring the grip out hard, do the No Clutch shifts, and have it howlin thru every gear.. and thats Not something to do where people are..

We have had some commercials on for a while here,, and, apparently someoone decided the idiots name would be Dave,,
And its always
Dont be a Dave,,
But here,, with the bikes and the noise Ima say
dont be a Richard..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #7 - 05/31/20 at 10:02:03

I found that a 1/2 inch hole in the blocking plate of my dyna muffler resulted in a very nice, not-to-loud sound.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/31/20 at 11:29:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/31/20 at 06:56:56:
With the Dyna I csn regulate the noise level just fine. Gentle throttle and I can Oooze past a hospital or horse and rider.

I think the Dyna muffler is fine - remember it was the stock, government approved muffler for the Harley from the factory.  (And the reason those mufflers are readily available is that somebody took it off their Harley so they could install something much louder).

Straight pipes or mufflers that you can see through are the problem....the noise can get out the back end far too easily!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/31/20 at 16:17:31

the noise can get out the back end far too easily!

A problem I am embarrassingly familiar with,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 05/31/20 at 18:55:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/31/20 at 16:17:31:
the noise can get out the back end far too easily!

A problem I am embarrassingly familiar with,,

Yeah, I'm discovering the seals deteriorate with age  Cool

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 05/31/20 at 20:18:14

Anybody tried anything like this ?  

I normally make my own baffles , and put one at the input and another at the exit.   But , I'm always looking for new designs !  Smiley

baffle_1.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #12 - 06/01/20 at 01:16:25

MMRanch wrote on 05/31/20 at 20:18:14:
Anybody tried anything like this ?  

I normally make my own baffles , and put one at the input and another at the exit.   But , I'm always looking for new designs !  Smiley

They certainly look good!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/01/20 at 14:55:11

MM:

Depends.......is there something blocking the tube in the middle - or does it go straight through?

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/04/20 at 13:26:11

I think the same as Dave!
I dont like bikes that loud a lot!
Perticaly dont like backfire, on a normal ride!
Soo, im a formar racing mecanics.. it was my brother that start this, in anyway, the car could get bacfiring frome the depo to the startingline.. no problems.. it was made to go on higest revs at it couóld on race!
At least, I bought this bike, on foto.. only 2000 dollars.. peanut money!
In any case I have to ride it home, I take a longer road around central trafic stockings fore safe.
In any case some formar owner have put on a Leo Vince K02 Its a Italinain brand) exhauste system to it and sadelbags/forkbag/and a bib on the tank.
But in a week later I got a parsel, the original manual, the original Suzuki  exhauste and the originlal  Leo Vince second part of the exhauste.
Soo I change the last part, no more backfire..  I realy hate backfires!
And to that I like that it have good sound!
Today one of my friends ride his new Triumph.. its was a good sound, not to loud, only nice.
In any case.. im Euorpean/Swedish. Im reading a lot on this site about geting Harley muffler on this bike. I dont care, but I think that its the same as a Lep Vince K02 sytem anyhow.. some sort of anyway?

And to that. dont even think that a lot of noice even gona save a biker.. its almoste cars and they dont hear you anyhow!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 22:51:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Interesting personal insight on my ride yesterday

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.