Send Topic Print
Hesitation or drag (Read 82 times)
warped3k
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hesitation or drag
05/29/20 at 18:39:34

I am having an issue with my 2000 Savage where it feels like there is some kind of either hesitation in the motor or drag on the bike. I get this when throttle is steady and occurs through various speeds and happens every second or so. Any ideas on what I should check?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Hesitation or drag
Reply #1 - 05/29/20 at 19:53:11

That sounds like surging , what is your location/elevation above sea level? have you done the white spacer mod? tuned the fuel screw? checked your jet sizes? Stock muffler and air filter?    Need more info!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
warped3k
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/29/20 at 20:30:48

Location is right at sea level, I am unsure about the carb and it looks like the cover is still over the mixture screw so no adjustments there. Exhaust is a supertrapp put on from a previous owner, air filter is stock.

I have not had the bike for long, but it was not doing this a few weeks ago, it just started happening recently for some reason.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 05/29/20 at 21:37:39

Do you keep it outside or in a garage?  Could be electrical. Moments of no or poor spark.  Could be from water  in connections or sun baked components.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 05/30/20 at 04:35:34

Has this problem been present since you got the bike or is it a new issue?  Does it happen all of the time or only when it's hot or cold outside? Does using partial choke make a difference?

Batman is probably right, but if you have a stock petcock, I would replace it or run it on PRI.  The stock petcocks cause issues sometimes.

Next, I would check the condition of the slide, make sure it's clean, and make sure the diaphragm is seated properly.   Mine was worn and it caused a few different issues over time.  When it sticks, it feels like the throttle just doesn't work.

Once you have eliminated potential issues you can look into jetting adjustments as batman suggested.  But, you never want to attempt to jet around a potential mechanical issues.  You'll just be chasing your tail.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/30/20 at 04:49:52

How many disks on your Supertrapp?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #6 - 05/30/20 at 14:14:44

You mention it wasn't doing it a few weeks ago. If it is as Batman suggested, the carb tuning, then it is possible that changes in weather/season can affect the running - similar to elevation.

Where I live we can have extremes between high humidity or very crisp mornings, depending on the season.

We're just coming into Winter here in Australia and my bike has started to feel a little 'leaner' than it did a few weeks ago. When I tuned the carb (in Spring), I turned it just rich enough to eliminate the surge and the backfire. It ran like that all through Summer and Autumn. Now that the mornings are getting cooler I get a slight backfire occasionally on gear changes (thankfully the surge hasn't returned ... yet!)

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 05/31/20 at 05:02:25

Meh, my bike isn't too bothered with weather extremes.   Got to be darn near freezing before I even get a hint of surging.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 22:15:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hesitation or drag

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.