Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sportster tab muffler install - advice needed (Read 62 times)
AlexKarz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sportster tab muffler install - advice needed
05/29/20 at 08:14:37

Hi guys, the sticky about a sportster muff install has no pics and is pretty old, so I'll ask the community.

I just got a sportster muff that is "the second best" choice according to another muffler sticky. As-is nothing lines up correctly. The original muff had a roughly 7 deg bend, the sportster one is dead straight and touches the brake cable.
Can someone who installed a sportster muffler with a single tab share with me how they went about it? Right now the only option I can think of is to weld an elbow to the muff which will give me the needed angle and length so that the tab is closer to the mounting bracket holes.

Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Sportster tab muffler install - advice needed
Reply #1 - 05/29/20 at 08:16:54

You can have a mufffler shop build a little elbow thatll fit. Then when its time for another muffler, you wont need any welding..
Signed
Martin Fuffler

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AlexKarz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/29/20 at 08:34:32

Thanks.
I have a professional welder at my work, he'll weld an elbow to the pipe in 5 mins. He used to fabricate marine exhausts, so this job to him is a piece of cake. I asked for advice because I thought there may be some trick to do this without welding or making new adapters. The fewer joints there are the better.

But for people who buy at least the tab mount sporster muffler - you should know: it's not a simple bolt-on operation. Probably same applies to the dyna muffler, the rail may line up with the mounting bracket but the angle is still not going to be ideal.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 05/29/20 at 08:54:45

Before ya go further,, the Dyna has a model that has the same mount to frame as the Savage.. No mods needed there,, And if youll study lengths before ya get the elbow built, you can avoid a sooty brake!
Maybe,, Its a thot.,
And mounting whatever you have may cause you to need an elbow that wont allow the Dyna to install later. IDK, I cant see it,, But consider that,, and you might be ahead to lose the one ya have and pick up a Dyna,, Not uncommon to get an unmolested take off for 20 bux,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AlexKarz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/29/20 at 09:20:48

The elbow is gonna be on the muffler, not the header, so if down the road I have to switch to something else, I'll just unbolt the pipe and everything else will be stock.
I couldn't find the Dyna you refer to, I'd have gone for that option for sure.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/29/20 at 15:19:41

The elbow doesnt Hafta BE n either one,, slip fit and clamp,, both ends,, IDK why not,,
Maybe its a dumb idea,, IDK,,

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #6 - 05/29/20 at 18:54:55

FWIW, the Dyna isn't an exact fit, but close. I've got mine installed directly to the header pipe. I could only use one of the bolts to mount the muffler because the rail doesn't quite line up with the bracket. It also points toward the brake actuator and soots it up. Also, needed to deal with the imperial/metric difference where it joins (there's a thread on here about that.

It may sound like I'm not selling the idea! But actually I love the look and sound of the Dyna, and fitting it was a fun challenge. I originally had an adapter made but didn't like the look with the extended length and the change of direction.

If your muffler is touching the brake cable then an adapter is probably unavoidable.

The Dyna is close to the brake cable but not touching.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
AlexKarz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/29/20 at 20:04:51

It's done the way I wanted it thanks to my good welder buddy at work. He cut the short clamping pipe off and welded a slightly longer pipe with a similar diameter at a 6 deg angle. We measured the factory muff angle and it was 7.5, but the thing is so fat and bulky compared to the sportster pipe that reducing the angle makes sense.  I've put everything together and now the whole assembly fits and sits just where I want it.

So once again, to fellow members reading this and wanting to install a sportster muffler, be prepared to be creative.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/30/20 at 04:55:49

Good going..
If you can manage a picture or two, that would be cool.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 01:20:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportster tab muffler install - advice needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.