So dumb! (Read 229 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
So dumb!
05/27/20 at 22:26:31

Since I own 2 S40s, I thought I would sell one and try something with 2 cylinders.
Wrote up a nice ad for Craigslist with photos detailing all of the mods etc I did to the one with fewest miles (kms). Posted it with only 1 reply, went back and read the ad and thought 'here's a bike I might like to buy',
cancelled ad, took it for a one hour ride today. My 2 bikes may not be the fastest or coolest but they have never let me down and they are dead easy to mod.
So dumb.
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Re: So dumb!
Reply #1 - 05/28/20 at 00:08:23

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 05/28/20 at 03:49:18

Clever! Too true !
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 05/28/20 at 07:30:09

This winter I thought about selling my 2005 FZ6 with only 17k miles on it. I've had it for about 7 years, and while I like it, I thought I'd sell it and get a more modern KTM790 Duke. I kept on asking myself "what will spending $10k on a new bike get me?" My FZ is fuel injected, has comfortable ergos, has updated forks, weighs only 430 lbs fully fueled and makes a solid 100 hp. The KTM has ABS and TC, is a little lighter and makes a few more hp. Why spend that money. In the end I just couldn't justify the expense. I ended up buying an Ohlins shock and new tires for the 15 year old bike...and I have to say I'm happy with my choice.

There is a big difference between "wanting" and new or different bike, and "needing" one.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/28/20 at 12:51:14

Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 05/28/20 at 13:27:32

Not to get philosophical, but western society is built on the achievement of 'wants' over 'needs'.  I 'want' an MG V7iii or a RE INT 650, but I 'need' neither, as I already have 2 bikes.
Logic needs to prevail, but rarely does!
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/10/20 at 12:03:17

I think you got it right, bout philosoficly and about westerner desire fore "whant to have and needs?
And as a formar biker.. soon on retierment.. I want a bike, at first anything, at later stage a Suzuki Intruder/Marouder or a Yamaha Dragstar.
And then it happends., there was a few Savage/S40 altso.. WTF a big Thumper. And then I found this forum.. its great.. in anycase, its those gyus/gals in this forum that made med buing a 2000 almoste no miles big thumper.. on a foto!
But it was frome bike dealer, Honda dealer, I trusted him.
It was abot 2000 dollars, (peanut money) some of my friends drive 20,000 dollar bikes, I dont care!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 06/10/20 at 15:00:53

I started riding about 3 years ago. I bought a Ninja 250 (before I knew what I didn't know). I sold it 3 months later to get a cruiser. I checked out the VStar, Vulcan, Shadow etc ... All the usual subjects. I even peeked at a couple of Harleys. Then I found the S40 on a showroom floor, sat on it and thought, yeah!

I found this forum while researching and it was pivotal in my decision to buy the bike. I did have some moments when I wondered about the merits of a 'flashier' or more powerful bike. But, I can say I've had no regrets, a lot of joy, and haven't seen a bike since that I would want to replace the Savage.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 06/10/20 at 19:15:22

I can somewhat agree on the wants v needs philosophy. I will have had my S40 ten years in September, I've seen other bikes I would want, but don't need.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/10/20 at 20:26:07

You guys are making me feel guilty for looking at bikes on Craigslist. Embarrassed

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/11/20 at 03:13:13

springman wrote on 06/10/20 at 20:26:07:
You guys are making me feel guilty for looking at bikes on Craigslist. Embarrassed

Not me.......I have the Savage Cafe' bike for zipping around without the burden of any luggage, the BMW F800GT for solo trips....and the R1200RT when Deb wants to come or I am in the mood for more wind/rain protection and cruise control!

I worked really hard for a lot of years and took very little time to have fun - I am now enjoying the fruits of my labor "guilt free".

There will come a time when I am not strong enough to ride the R1200RT and it will be the first bike to go - but I expect that will not be for a while......my Savage Cafe' will be the last to go.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 06/11/20 at 11:57:36

Dave,
I seem to remember your wife getting the bends. Has she recovered, I sincerely hope so.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/11/20 at 12:47:01

norm92de wrote on 06/11/20 at 11:57:36:
Dave,
I seem to remember your wife getting the bends. Has she recovered, I sincerely hope so.

She has not recovered entirely - but is still making progress.  She still has trouble with neuropathy and lacks complete feeling and strength from the waist down.  She walks a bit slow as she is walking by memory rather than by feeling what her legs are doing - she has trouble when the ground is uneven.  Her bladder and bowels are affected as the nerves to those areas are still compromised as well.  If she walks too far in a day - her legs can burn and tingle all night and keep her from sleeping.

She has a great attitude and knows that someday her nerves will recover and the diagnosis is that someday she will have a nearly full recovery - it still may take a year to two more (the accident was 2 years ago next month).  She recently commented that after working in the garden a bit hard she noticed her leg muscles were sore - which is a revelation as she would not have been able to feel that soreness previously.

She did have a setback a few weeks ago.  I bought her an "E-Bike" so we could go riding bicycles together.....the electric assist will help her ride at my pace and help her up the hills - riding the bicycle is good therapy.  She went riding with a girlfriend and unfortunately she was making a U-Turn and misjudged the distance to a bollard post and clipped it with her handlebar.....she fell down and broke her elbow and badly bruised her knee and wrist.  She is now recovering from that as well!

Thanks for asking........once she recovers from her bicycle accident we will again start taking some rides on the motorcycle, and I will do my best not to drop her!

« Last Edit: 06/11/20 at 18:05:29 by Dave »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/11/20 at 13:17:46

Dave,, Such bad news, while we are all waiting for good news.. Words I have wont express it,, but I am Truly sorry to get this report..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/11/20 at 18:06:40

I meant to type that she is "now" recovering from that as well......unfortunately I typed "not".

She is actually making pretty good progress on recovering from the bicycle accident.  Although her elbow is broken, the pieces are all in place and staying put - so they didn't put on a cast.

DebArm.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 10:30:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › So dumb!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.