No Start Issues (Read 106 times)
John E Black
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No Start Issues
05/27/20 at 11:34:06

Howdy....bike not starting.

When I press starter button, nothing happens...not even the clicking from the solenoid. After testing the circuit, starter button appears to be fine, coil is new, then discovered the solenoid was faulty, so I replaced it.
Still did not start, and again, no response from the solenoid/relay.
So I went around the circuit to check the starter motor directly from the battery, and starter appears to be dead as well.
If so, would this prevent the solenoid from engaging?
Before I go to the expense of replacing the starter motor, any suggestions or recommendations??
Thanks in advance, all...

Wits end...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: No Start Issues
Reply #1 - 05/27/20 at 11:50:47

Sounds like a fuse,, located under your right thigh, little white box with 2 twenty amp fuses,, probably be ahead to just pull the seat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 05/27/20 at 13:54:14

If you have jumper cables ,and a car battery testing the starter becomes easy, but first you need to be sure the ground cable above the oil sight glass about 2'' and in about 2'' on a bolt on the center case is clean and tight , that completes the ground from the starter, through the motor case and back to the battery. after that connect the car battery (with the bike in neutral) to a ground (bolt/) anywhere on the bike and the car battery to the top post on the starter , if the starter turns the motor over it's good . if the bike still doesn't start normally after that I'd try looking at things like the kill switch (try flipping it on and of a few times - it might be corrosion ).Or test the clutch switch 'either would keep the bike from starting.
   Justin's idea of checking the fuses would be a first good move.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 05/27/20 at 14:08:14

Kill switch?   Ask me how I know.....
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
John E Black
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/27/20 at 16:16:42

To all...first, thanks for replying so quickly.

zip....checked the kill switch numerous times and even removed the switch housing and cleaned it. It seems to be working fine but worth another look.

batman...everything appears to be in order, but I did have the frame powder coated and did clean a spot for the ground, but will check again. Used your method of checking starter motor, using the bike battery, but will try the car battery.

justin...did check the fuses and they look fine, but maybe worth replacing, as that's a simple, cheap replacement.

Again, thanks everyone!!!! Hope to reply with good news soon...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/27/20 at 16:26:44

Fuses fine, huh?
Well,,
Ill be John Brown

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/27/20 at 19:44:40

I would 1st make sure the starter will turn using a battery (mc bat is fine) and jumper cables directly to the starter.
If it jumps, put the ground cable to the frame, if it jumps go to the relay with the positive...
touch the side going to the starter, if it jumps let's check the wiring.

I'm assuming everything is hooked up, pull the clutch safety plug, with a volt meter one lead to ground and one lead in one of the plug.  push the start button... one lead or the other will make the vm jump to 12v, not quite but if it's more then a volt under it time to start cleaning connections.

ok if you got v's there the next spot is the decomp controller, pull it off, it's the black box above the carb.  I would tie the clutch pulled (test that dam switch) and the positive lead in the top center terminal (or is it the bottom right?) push the starter and get v's.

I would hazard a guess that if you got v's there and not v's at the relay, it's the decomp controller.

there's more but typin's hard.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 05/27/20 at 20:39:29

John ,let's be clear ,you said you powder coated the frame and cleaned a spot for the ground,  the ground doesn't run to the frame. the ground wires run to the casing bolt above the sight glass , there are two wires attached there's a small wire that grounds EVERYTHING (the starter solenoid) but the starter  and the heavy wire that runs from the battery neg post then behind the battery case  to the motor casing , and that runs through the entire body of the motor to ground the starter and the sparkplug.
 There is no reason or use for a ground to be connected to the frame of the bike.

IP Logged
John E Black
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/30/20 at 08:56:11

Batman....to your point, being MORE clear, this is the second RYCA CS-1 rebuild on this bike. So...because of a new battery box, the battery ground cable will not reach the case bolt as on a stock bike. The ground is connected to one of the brackets of the original battery box mounts, which is RYCA's recommendation...this worked before and was not an issue.

I did attempt to jump the starter using the battery and it did spark, but did not turn over, so it does appear my starter motor is dead. Not wanted to go the route of spending $400+ for a new starter, have a recommendation for a source? Have you ever used DB Electrical? They have a unit that will fit for about $70...

And thanks again for your advice...you have been very helpful, man!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 05/30/20 at 10:31:10

That’s strange, I had no problem using the OEM ground location on my cafe.

There are several on-line used bike companies you could try. More than likely the brushes are worn. I’d check the brushes and contacts of the starter before throwing in the trash.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #10 - 05/30/20 at 10:49:04

Is the motor free turning?
One could pull the starter to see if it turn on the bench.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 05/30/20 at 14:16:17

I agree ,pull the starter , and bench test it, jumper cable to the body near the mounting bolts the other to the positive pole  , make sure the starter is the problem.
     Ryca  has done lots of stupid stuff  ,   remember I told you that the frame is not part of the ground.  Test on the bench, if the starter runs,  run  a ground from the battery to the casing bolt ,like the stock bike. The ground is made to go from  the starter to the motor case to the battery neg. not the battery case's base .          

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/30/20 at 15:44:27

USUALLY,, when stuff is working
and someone does something
Like powder coat
AND SUDDENLY,, STUFF DONT WORK

In the process of doing the fine act to achieve some desired outcome
They inadvertently did something they werent actually Trying to do.
Dont go hunting some phantom problem,,
If it was working before powder coating
Betcherass,, Youve somehow allowed powdercoating to get in the way of electron flow..

If INdeed it was Fine BEFORE,, then why would it suddenly not be?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 23:03:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No Start Issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.