Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4-5 neutral? (Read 129 times)
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

4-5 neutral?
05/25/20 at 08:47:10

Idk why, but every so often I find one there...
What's going on in there?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 4-5 neutral?
Reply #1 - 05/25/20 at 09:40:23

Nothing unusual.....it can happen on all bikes in between almost any gears.

It happens most often when someone is watching!

You might check your shift lever and make sure it is clean and lubed and moves easily.

Back in the 70's when I was racing in the 125cc class and I had a Suzuki TM125.  If I was trying to pass another rider who had a motorcycle with a Sachs engine......I just had to wait a bit as I knew he was going to miss a shift at least once each lap, and I could pass him when it happened.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/25/20 at 12:52:50

Dave wrote on 05/25/20 at 09:40:23:
Nothing unusual.....it can happen on all bikes in between almost any gears.

You might check your shift lever and make sure it is clean and lubed and moves easily.

Back in the 70's when I was racing in the 125cc class and I had a Suzuki TM125.  If I was trying to pass another rider who had a motorcycle with a Sachs engine......I just had to wait a bit as I knew he was going to miss a shift at least once each lap, and I could pass him when it happened.

And the liklihood of a missed shift increases exponentially with how hot she is,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 05/25/20 at 14:46:59

Dave wrote on 05/25/20 at 09:40:23:

That was you?  Smiley

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 05/25/20 at 19:28:05

You have to think that the ratio between 4th and 5th is small ,I've found my bike shifts into 5th much better at 50mph than 60-65mph.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/25/20 at 19:58:00

I've had more trouble by
A gentle gear change
Than
A quick and solid toe

Not saying stomp on it just not afraid to do it

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 05/25/20 at 21:33:17

batman wrote on 05/25/20 at 19:28:05:
 You have to think that the ratio between 4th and 5th is small ,I've found my bike shifts into 5th much better at 50mph than 60-65mph.
------------

Yep.  Sometimes 5th either doesn't engage or it pops out.  Maybe it's because 5th gear was an afterthought.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/25/20 at 22:09:25

"And the liklihood of a missed shift increases exponentially with how hot she is,, "

This is absolutely true.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 05/26/20 at 07:43:07

I have found that "gentle" pressure on the shift lever while shifting works for me. You more or less feel it in.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #9 - 05/26/20 at 13:39:59

When I first bought  my bike (I'd only been riding for a few months) I took it for a ride in the hills. I had the same experience. It dropped into neutral between 4th and 5th. I didn't know what happened and rolled to a stop. I thought I'd bought a lemon!!

It's never happened again. I think I was probably just a bit tentative on the gear change.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 06/04/20 at 14:19:07

Anybody else have a bike where there are two different click positions from 4th to 5th?  The feel through the shift lever kinda feels like it doesn't go all the way into 5th on the first click and if you keep the pressure on there's a second click?  But that gear seems to engage just fine with either click?
Mine's been that way forever and only feels like that from 4th to 5th.  Cleaned the joints and the rods are straight.  Just odd and wondering if anyone else has it.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/04/20 at 14:47:16

The feel through the shift lever kinda feels like it doesn't go all the way into 5th on the first click and if you keep the pressure on there's a second click?  

When I was just oozin thru the gears, yeah,, hold pressure and play with the gas,, It moves on in..

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #12 - 06/04/20 at 17:54:06

Yep, two clicks tween fourth and fith. Been that way for 100,000 miles, don't hardly notice it anymore. Only time I have trouble shifting is the longer throw tween first to second, if I don't release my foot enough I can't get into third.
Don't matter who might be watching.

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/06/20 at 06:20:28

Im altso got a problem to shift to 5 gear, but did you know.. I was reading this forum and look a lot of Youtube.. befor I bought it!

Heres one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VixegFDmJ3s

In any case, I newer got in to a neutral, mostly staying on 4 gear, probably becuse I was aware of this?

Soo.. my thougts about way.. 1-4 gear is in a lesser speed, if one is on 4 gear, the speed is now higer.. and then one want to hit the higway.. or if one is carless driving and want to exced the speed limits!

I figure out and got familiar to drive this bike, the faster one drive then one lean backward and hanging on to the handelbars, it shifts ones body center of mass. And if one lean more backward, ones left feet altso got in a new positition.. Soo im almoste do this twice to be safe that I got the 5 gear in!
Mayby I would adjuste the lever to my normaly riding position.. but its still mostly for 1-4 gear speed!
In anyway, at higher revs on 4 gear/higher MPS/KMH one like to shift to 5 gear.. one is got in a leaning backward position, hangin on the handelbars position.. then it feeels like that one have to do a longer stroke on the gear shiftiing to 5 gear?
Sumarised.. I think that its a comon problem about the riding positiation on this bike.. its almoste about higher speeds and that left foot got in to a ardwark position?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 10:13:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 4-5 neutral?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.