Send Topic Print
Big vibrations issue (Read 198 times)
sak
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Big vibrations issue
05/24/20 at 09:50:52

Hey, I bought a 96 Savage as a bobber project last winter, and now that I’ve got it up and running, I’m getting some really noticable and uncomfortable vibrations all around, like teeth-rattling, at all but the lowest RPM. It’s definitely engine related. I checked the easy stuff like the exjaust and motor mounts, they’re fine. The engine seems to be running fine otherwise, with maybe a slight tapping sound. It’s got 15k km (10k miles) on the clock.

I haven’t check the valve clearances yet, but I assume they wouldn’t affect the vibes. As far as I know, the PO changed the chain tensioner to a modified version. Could messed up timing be a culprit? Any other ideas/suggestions? I’ve read all the topics I could find about vibes, without applicable solutions.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Big vibrations issue
Reply #1 - 05/24/20 at 10:06:00

Vibration aside,, Howzit Run?
And keep your idle RPM up around 1100,, else the cam dont oil right..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sak
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/24/20 at 10:23:06

Hey, it seems to run fine otherwise. Yeah, idle’s good.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/24/20 at 10:23:43

biggest cause of vibrations are loose motor mounts.
check the torque on all the bolts thru the frame and motor.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 05/24/20 at 10:38:36

Is this your first big thumper. While the LS650 engine is smooth for what it is, it aint a I-4.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 05/24/20 at 10:39:06

As far as you know the PO changed the tensioner?  That sounds like you don't know.  It might be time to look . That tapping noise could well be the cam chain .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
sak
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/24/20 at 11:20:47

All motor mounts have been checked.

I know this is a big thumper, but I reckon hands and rear going numb after 5 minutes isn’t normal.

The PO’s service history says he changed the camchain tensioner, but I will double check. I assume it doesn’t directly affect the vibes anyway.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/24/20 at 12:47:35

Shouldnt COST anything to ride to the dealership and just ask a mechanic to run it down the road a mile or two,, should it?
Ill bet if ya called them and told them youre new to it,, and not sure,, theyd try to create a good working relationship,, or lie to you so they can screw ya,, but Hey,, its all good, right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 05/24/20 at 13:03:22

Sak,
Where do you live, maybe another member lives nearby and you could compare vibrations.

They are not smooth as has been mentioned but not punishing either.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/24/20 at 14:15:35

Ig only hands are sufferin,, ease up on the grip,, If yer Butt is goin into a coma,, probably not a great thing,, or,, You have a sensitive little tushy

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/24/20 at 20:03:22

Sak, the PO 's history said he changed the tensioner ,to me that means the chain was already stretched.  Just changing the tensioner without lengthening it would accomplish nothing. $20.00 will buy a new side gasket, a new motor will cost a bit more .
  You said the motor mounts are tight, are you aware that the bolts holding the foot pegs pass all the way through and must be held on both sides to tighten?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
sak
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/25/20 at 02:12:26

Thanks for the tips everybody. I should maybe have mentioned that I have a pretty good amount of experience riding and working on bikes, so rest assured that I don’t have a death grip on the handlebars or an overly sensitive patootie or whatever else might first come to mind.

Batman - I am aware that the footrest bolts go all the way through. I also checked the PO’s documentation, he apparently did the cam chain tensioner modification himself, as well as fixing the leaky plug in the engine, both as preemptive measures. I will open it up at some point to check how it looks. Due to the low mileage of the bike (10k miles), I don’t think the chain has stretched very much. However, is there a chance that, if the chain skipped a tooth or 2, the engine would vibrate a lot? Or could there be an issue with the balancer?

Has anybody had a similar issue and found a solution?

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #12 - 05/25/20 at 02:53:42

From what you describe your vibrations are not normal

Go for the easy options first would be my suggestion
Timing
Engine mounts

FWIW my bike had only done half your miles and my tensioner was out 14mm  If you dont know what yours is doing you could take a look

Hiko   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/25/20 at 04:26:52

When changing/removing/fixing the cam chain tensioner.....I believe it is nearly impossible to have the chain skip a tooth.  There just isn't enough slack in the chain and the engine case has a rail/guide that doesn't allow the chain to drop far enough off the sprocket to jump teeth.  I also believe that dropping a tooth one way or the other would hurt performance far more than it would cause horrible vibrations.

Fixing a leaky head plug doesn't provide any opportunity to screw up the cam timing either.......unless the cam was removed for some reason.

Where do you live?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sak
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/25/20 at 14:11:55

Thanks for the info guys. I’m in Finland, a ways away from most forum members, I reckon!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 07:51:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big vibrations issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.