Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas and oil from pcv valve hose! (Read 53 times)
fang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gas and oil from pcv valve hose!
05/22/20 at 05:15:42

Hey everyone
Picked up a 88 savage that I'm working on
Here's the issue I'm having
The air box was full of gas so naturally I thought it was the needle seat
I swapped out the float needle and seat, cleaned oit the carb and no luck
The petcock is an aftermarket one with on off and res so i think that rules out the bad petcock option
The gas/oil mixture is spewing out of the pcv valve, the large hose that normally goes into the air box
I thought it could be the float level possibly but I haven't checked it yet
It only leaks after I let off the throttle, with the throttle pulled it won't leak but when i let off it spews it out of the hose
What are your thoughts?
I know I need to change the oil of course, just trying to figure out the problem before ruining more oil

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Gas and oil from pcv valve hose!
Reply #1 - 05/22/20 at 06:28:38

Check the oil level. It should be half way up in the window with the bike held  upright, not on the side stand. Take the filler plug out and smell the oil. If the oil smells like gas, or the level is too high you're going to have to drain it anyway.

You said you just picked up the bike. Is it possible that the previous owner changed the petcock because it was causing issues, and didn't change the oil ?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Gas and oil from pcv valve hose!
Reply #2 - 05/22/20 at 17:22:44

Like Oldnslow said you need to check the oil level and take off the filler cap and if you smell gas ,for god 's sake dump it ! gas is a very poor lube . assuming the petcock is good (pull the hose of the carb and be sure it isn't leaking by when closed)  plug the vacuum port and make sure you set the float in the carb (you replaced) to the proper height , that and the  O-ring that seals the float valve seat to carb body are the only things that will allow it to flood. Set your float level(very important) first before changing your oil.

« Last Edit: 05/22/20 at 18:42:40 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 02:21:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas and oil from pcv valve hose!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.