Starving and Flooding (Read 250 times)
V-tec
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Starving and Flooding
Reply #15 - 05/25/20 at 06:13:21

Still waiting for the parts to come in...but was wondering
Will it be an issue if I forget the close the new raptor petcock when I’m done riding? Or I can I always keep it in the ON position.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/25/20 at 07:06:54

That's why the vacuum Petcock was built, so people didn't need to futz with on and off,
Just end of day, turn it off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #17 - 05/25/20 at 08:05:29

The number one reason for changing to the raptor petcock is so that you CAN turn it off. Whatever you do turn it off after riding. I turn mine off a short distance from home and let it run dry. It takes the pressure off the needle valve and reduces the opportunity for fuel to get into the oil.

I'm so smart I can't stand myself. Grin

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 05/25/20 at 08:09:09

Im smarter than you..
Im so smart that not ONly can I not stand me,, nobody else can either,, so there..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 05/25/20 at 09:46:53

norm92de wrote on 05/25/20 at 08:05:29:
The number one reason for changing to the raptor petcock is so that you CAN turn it off. Whatever you do turn it off after riding. I turn mine off a short distance from home and let it run dry. It takes the pressure off the needle valve and reduces the opportunity for fuel to get into the oil.
Grin

Same obsessed behavior as me.....I turn the petcock off at the STOP sign down the street, and as I reach my downhill driveway the bike runs out of fuel.   That way if I don't ride for a while - there is very little fuel in the carb to go bad and start plugging up jets and corroding parts.

I don't turn the fuel off during the day while I am riding - but always at the end of the ride as I put the bike away for the day.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
V-tec
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/01/20 at 09:01:40

So I installed the new Raptor petcock and replace the fuel line with an OEM hose. I also changed the oil and oil filter. There was a lot of gas in the oil so I’m glad that I replaced it.

Unfortunately the bike is still starving Sad
When I’m riding with a constant throttle the bike seems to be hesitating. Haven’t checked the air filter yet to see if there is any gas in it.

I guess I should be looking at the carb at this point??

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #21 - 06/01/20 at 09:37:38

V-tec wrote on 06/01/20 at 09:01:40:
When I’m riding with a constant throttle the bike seems to be hesitating. Haven’t checked the air filter yet to see if there is any gas in it.

I guess I should be looking at the carb at this point??

There are several potential reasons for this behavior;

1) You have a clogged jet. A good cleaning of the carb might solve the problem, however jets usually require a good soaking in carb cleaner followed by a blast of 120psi air.

2) The float height is out of adjustment. When the float is too high the float bowl doesn't fully fill.

3) The jetting is just wrong. The bikes come from the factory jetted too lean. If you ad an aftermarket exhaust or air filter, this usually requires that the jetting and needle height be updated.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
V-tec
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/01/20 at 09:52:04

I will take the carb off this week to clean it. And check the float level.
The bike did come with an aftermarket exhaust on it already (see pic) and also I replace the air filter because of all the gas in it with a K&N SU-6595 filter (see pic).
So that does mean that having the aftermarket exhaust and air filter the jets should be replaced?? Or should I take the carb apart, clean it, put it back on and see how it runs first?

D60FA86E-4D06-4C7F-A0EF-AB3308DEE0A1.jpeg
  IP Logged
V-tec
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 06/01/20 at 09:52:39

Air filter

83A939B5-9F8F-46EF-848C-CFFEC00FBB16.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 06/01/20 at 09:53:50

1st bike... just got it.
carb floods... typically because of worn out float valve.
leaky valves can be helped by a good petcock, but may not solve the issue.

starving... jetting or clogged jets, may require a good cleaning.  If it's been sitting for awhile, ports and passages maybe clogged.

constant throttle isn't hesitation.  If you feel variation in speed at constant throttle or surging, that can adjustment.

I would advise a carb cleaning to know where you're at and then follow one of the carb tuning guides in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #25 - 06/01/20 at 10:09:41

Tell us what jets are installed in the carb. Also, take a photo of how the needle is installed in the slide. That will tell us if there has been any modification to that. It will also tell us if you need to make an adjustment/mod to the needle.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 06/01/20 at 10:46:42

Make sure ya get the jets broke loose so if ya decide to change them later you can do it on the bike.
Get a can of B12 Chemtool. Use the red straw to direct the spray into all the tiny passage and if is sprays IN,, its Sposed to come Out, somewhere..
AND,, You Better wear face and Eyeball protection. I dont like the stuff on my skin,, it burns, especialy like under a ring or watch band,, I cant imagine the four alarm fir it would be in an eyeball.. Good ventilation is important too.
Some tiny stiff wire can be helpful, clearing a jet.
Probably, seeing that someone went to the trouble of swapping the exhaust and buying that high dollar filter,, Probably they at least took a swing at jetting.. Did they nail it? Who knows,, ? But, yeah, clean it up and see..
Theres a brass washer under the main jet. Its Not a spare part,, Its gotta be there..
If iy try to remove the tiny screws that have a plate pinching the diaphragm Up IN there,, Those are JIS screws, not phillips, and which side goes up versus down is important on that little plate,, Marke it with a sharpee before ya even touch it and pay attention when it comes out, which way is the dimple facing?
I dont remember exactly where that is, or how inportant it is to have it out,, I Do remember it was not easy.

IP Logged
V-tec
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 06/01/20 at 14:51:43

Here’s some pics

1FD52694-B421-44E0-84BF-920C0C556E2B.jpeg
  IP Logged
V-tec
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 06/01/20 at 14:52:06

And another

5696F48C-9DD2-47C3-876B-1DE7F253D1F4.jpeg
  IP Logged
V-tec
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 06/01/20 at 14:55:22

Before I purchase the bike I ordered a carb rebuild kit.
This is it.
Maybe I could use some parts from that?

02E14604-4B83-46D6-A62E-BD30A435EC77.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 09:29:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starving and Flooding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!