Send Topic Print
Piston to barrel. (Read 104 times)
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Piston to barrel.
05/19/20 at 14:24:00

i need to get batteries for my caliper. It was working a couple of days ago.

Stupid question. If I slide the piston without rings into the barrel and can slide an .008” feeler gauge in the gap between piston and barrel is this a rough estimate of .004” circumference clearance? For some reason my brain isn’t working.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Piston to barrel.
Reply #1 - 05/19/20 at 16:05:46

Nope, that would be .016" clearance.
Make sure you are measuring on the thrust surface (front to back, not sides).
Very crude/inaccurate way to measure.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #2 - 05/19/20 at 20:25:17

Thanks, yeah I know pretty crude. I measured last week with proper tools and checked out ok. Was trying to double check after cleaning piston and digital caliber was dead. Not sure how it would be .016 when piston is to opposite side against the wall and I slipped feeler in the gap.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 05/19/20 at 22:06:48

You got it Dennis.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 05/20/20 at 07:21:55

Yup. brain fart here. You were reading .008" Shouldn't write late at night.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 05/20/20 at 12:26:46

I don’t want to step on any toes here, and I mean no disrespect.  I just want to clear up some obvious confusion.

First, checking piston to cylinder clearance with a feeler gage is a perfectly fine alternative to a dial bore gage and micrometer.  It’s not as accurate, and I wouldn’t use the feeler gage to resize a cylinder, but its just fine for verifying running clearance and also a great cross check of the more precise measuring instruments.  I always cross check with feeler gages after measuring with precision instruments.  Actually, there are spring scales available to verify correct drag on feelers when used for fitting pistons.

Second, Dennisqb, if you can fit an .008” feeler between the skirt of the piston and the cylinder (assuming the drag is proper and the piston is positioned correctly) your piston to cylinder running clearance is .008”.  That works out to .004” radial clearance but you don’t use radial clearance to evaluate piston to cylinder.

As Armen said, you always do this check in the fore/aft direction, perpendicular to the wrist pin.  That’s because pistons are not round, they are egg shaped.  Pistons are also tapered top to bottom, the top being way smaller than the bottom.  So, the tightest clearance is found close to the bottom of the piston in the fore/aft direction.

This picture shows a cylinder/piston combination that has right about .003” running clearance.  Note that the drag on the feeler is just enough to hold the piston suspended in the cylinder, just enough to prevent gravity from pulling the piston down.  The piston will continue down with just a light finger push.

Checking_Clearance_003_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 05/20/20 at 12:27:32

If I try to insert a .004” feeler, the piston won’t go into the cylinder without applying a whole bunch of force.   If I pushed it through with this .004” feeler in there, I would probably score up the piston a bit.

Checking_Clearance_004_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 05/20/20 at 12:28:24

Feeler gages are an excellent alternative to expensive measuring instruments.  Certainly, good enough for the shade tree mechanic trying to do a ring job.

Dennis, if your .008” feeler fit between the cylinder and piston as shown in the first picture, if the piston could be pushed through past the feeler with light force, if the feeler was positioned as shown in the first picture, you have too much running clearance.  If you are very lucky, the majority of the wear is confined to the piston and you will be able to tighten things up by simply replacing the piston.  Otherwise, its time for a rebore.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 05/22/20 at 09:53:15

Good info on this DBM.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #9 - 05/22/20 at 12:46:23

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/20/20 at 12:26:46:
I don’t want to step on any toes here, and I mean no disrespect.  I just want to clear up some obvious confusion.

First, checking piston to cylinder clearance with a feeler gage is a perfectly fine alternative to a dial bore gage and micrometer.  It’s not as accurate, and I wouldn’t use the feeler gage to resize a cylinder, but its just fine for verifying running clearance and also a great cross check of the more precise measuring instruments.  I always cross check with feeler gages after measuring with precision instruments.  Actually, there are spring scales available to verify correct drag on feelers when used for fitting pistons.

Second, Dennisqb, if you can fit an .008” feeler between the skirt of the piston and the cylinder (assuming the drag is proper and the piston is positioned correctly) your piston to cylinder running clearance is .008”.  That works out to .004” radial clearance but you don’t use radial clearance to evaluate piston to cylinder.

As Armen said, you always do this check in the fore/aft direction, perpendicular to the wrist pin.  That’s because pistons are not round, they are egg shaped.  Pistons are also tapered top to bottom, the top being way smaller than the bottom.  So, the tightest clearance is found close to the bottom of the piston in the fore/aft direction.

This picture shows a cylinder/piston combination that has right about .003” running clearance.  Note that the drag on the feeler is just enough to hold the piston suspended in the cylinder, just enough to prevent gravity from pulling the piston down.  The piston will continue down with just a light finger push.

Thank you for the clarification. When I stuck the feeler in there I was at the piston ring position and not properly on the skirt. I did proper measurements at multiple places and got .0025” at the top and .003” at the bottom. That coordinates with my expandable tool and micrometer. I think it’s good to go. I just need to clean off my bench so I have room to work

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/23/20 at 10:13:23

[quote author=5D5C5757504A5E5B390 link=1589923440/0#9 date=1590176783]DragBikeMike wrote on 05/20/20 at 12:26:46:
I just need to clean off my bench so I have room to work [/color]

Sometimes I have found it necessary to use the floor! Roll Eyes

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #11 - 05/24/20 at 18:06:45

[quote author=5C676A7D6C607B7D666E637C0F0 link=1589923440/0#10 date=1590254003]Dennisgb wrote on 05/22/20 at 12:46:23:
Sometimes I have found it necessary to use the floor! Roll Eyes

It’s been really hard for me since my shop burned down last year. I had an awesome workspace then.

Now I’m in a dirty barn with varmits and not much bench space.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/25/20 at 04:34:25

Dennisgb wrote on 05/24/20 at 18:06:45:
It’s been really hard for me since my shop burned down last year. I had an awesome workspace then.

Now I’m in a dirty barn with varmits and not much bench space.

I am soooooooo sorry!  That is about the worst thing that could happen to a fellow.  I worked in marginal conditions on and off for a very big part of my life, and finally when I turned 50 we built a house and I was able to get a wonderful garage......it was so nice to have a garage with good light and heat!

Maybe if the government sent you a stimulus check - you can buy one of those little yard barns and build a nice bike workshop!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 07:50:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Piston to barrel.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.