ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: front brake rotor
Reply #15 - 05/21/20 at 10:32:29

Tocsik wrote on 05/21/20 at 09:37:57:
Hey, what is the factory thickness?  Will help me if I buy used.
Thanks.

4.5±0.2mm
.18±0.01"

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 05/21/20 at 10:35:54

verslagen1 wrote on 05/20/20 at 17:08:48:

Thanks Versy.  That one shows a thickness of 4.56 mm.  I know it's better than mine, but still close to the 4mm minimum.  They really are proud of the new ones, eh?  But front brakes are important.  The big brake kit would be good, but I can't justify the $400 these days.

Oh, just saw the factory specs posted.  Man, how can 4mm be the minimum, then!?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #17 - 05/21/20 at 11:22:55

They are indeed proud of a new OEM disc. Ouch. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 05/21/20 at 18:35:15

Surely the right metal can't be so expensive that a piece and the cost of a water jet cutter would be so expensive

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 05/21/20 at 20:20:29

Tocsik , check your messages

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 05/22/20 at 03:01:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/21/20 at 18:35:15:
Surely the right metal can't be so expensive that a piece and the cost of a water jet cutter would be so expensive

Probably is when you only sell 1 or 2 of them a year!

If you had a GSXR - all kinds of aftermarket discs are available.....but the Savage is not all that popular and not all that prone to wearing out discs if you replace the pads before they start scraping metal.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #21 - 05/22/20 at 10:51:46

Ruttly wrote on 05/21/20 at 20:20:29:
Tocsik , check your messages

Done.  Messaged you back.
Thanks.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #22 - 05/28/20 at 09:25:40

OK, got the new/used front rotor mounted but had to run out and get the correct red threadlocker (only had high temp and it was pretty old).  Man, that original red threadlocker was a bear to fight against removing the bolts!  Even after hitting them with PB Blaster a couple hours earlier.

I used a brass wire brush followed by steel wool to clean the rotor bolts and they came out looking good.  I don't have a thread chaser set for cleaning the threaded holes but at least used full strength degreaser on a rag wrapped around an allen wrench to clean out some of it.  Probably could've/should've used carb cleaner after doing some reading this morning.

1.  You think it's ok if I didn't maybe get those hole threads completely clean and also didn't use activator before the threadlocker?
2.  Anyone else find when reinstalling the rotor on the Savage the bolts feel like they just STOP rather than feeling like they're tightening/torqueing?

Thanks everyone for the words of advice and thanks Ruttly for the extra help!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #23 - 05/28/20 at 09:33:52

The proper way to break the bond of thread lock is heat, followed by torque/force. Ideally, the bolts should not be reused, especially if they are showing any signs of corrosion. Make sure that the threads in the hub are completely dry and free of any solvents prior to installing the bolts. Be use to use a wet torque value (85-90% of the dry value) when installing the bolts.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #24 - 05/28/20 at 10:22:05

Thanks Gary.  I agree that's what's ideal.  Seems to be a lot debate on reusing rotor bolts all over the place.  And I know your front brake isn't a place to take chances!
Curious about how the bolts felt when tightening.  They go into through-holes but still had a "bottoming out" feel rather than a gradual tightening.  I left the bike at home today for the threadlocker to cure and will probably put a wrench on one or two bolts and see if it loosens easily.  Not too much pressure though so as not to break the bond.

And yeah, I read about heat at 500o to loosen red threadlocker after I had the bolts out  Huh.  Lesson learned.  Your posts definitely speak to your wrenching experience and it's appreciated.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 20:45:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front brake rotor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.