Send Topic Print
front brake rotor (Read 239 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
front brake rotor
05/19/20 at 13:25:08

Changed the front brake pads today and I really let them get too worn.  Had a devil of a time getting the pin to go through the hole in the inner brake pad when putting the new ones on.  Anyone have tips on that for future?

And what's the minimum thickness on the rotor before it should be replaced?  I sanded it a bit with 500 grit while the rotor was pulled away but it still doesn't feel great and I know that can eat pads.  Measures about 0.144 - 0.147 inches (3.66 - 3.73 mm).  Lastly, where's a good place to source a replacement rotor?  I see 'em on fleabay for about 170.  Looks like EBC part # MD3017LS?

Asking rather than researching since I had to go to work and we got a clinic full of babies today so my time is limited.  Thanks team.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: front brake rotor
Reply #1 - 05/19/20 at 13:49:47

Suzuki says that the minimum thickness of the disc is 4MM. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 05/20/20 at 08:31:45

How much roughness would you guys tolerate in your front rotor?  
It's like, totally groovy, man.  Not rough, but kinda like a vinyl album, but deeper.
Rode it to work on back roads this morning to be gentle on the new pads and it fells much better, but concerned about the grooves and overall thinness of the rotor.  
Had time to do a little reading and saw posts from a few years back where several high profile members here said to keep going with it unless it feels warped.  I don't feel any pulsing.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 05/20/20 at 12:09:20

I measured mine and it is 4MM on the dot. Seems to work as it should, put on new pads not too long ago. Guess I'll let it go for now.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 05/20/20 at 12:40:38

I think there are several reasons for the minimum thickness specification (4.0 mm).

The obvious reason is you don't want the rotor to get so thin that it breaks.

Another reason you don't want it under 4.0 mm is resonance.  The thinner it gets the more it resonates.  It already tends to squeak & squeal a bit, that will only get worse as it gets thinner.

You also should be concerned about caliper extension.  As the rotor thins the piston in the caliper has to extend farther to bring the pads in contact with the rotor.  Combined with pad wear, the piston extension may start to exceed reasonable limits.  Excessive extension could result in cocking and binding.

You can minimize the extension by changing pads well before they reach their wear limit.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 05/20/20 at 12:42:37

Tocsik wrote on 05/20/20 at 08:31:45:
It's like, totally groovy, man.  Not rough, but kinda like a vinyl album, but deeper.
Rode it to work on back roads this morning to be gentle on the new pads and it fells much better, but concerned about the grooves and overall thinness of the rotor.  
Had time to do a little reading and saw posts from a few years back where several high profile members here said to keep going with it unless it feels warped.  I don't feel any pulsing.

If your rotor has grooves, it's time for replacement because:

1. It will corrode inside the grooves,
2. You have less surface area for the pads to bite into, which means longer stopping
3. You will wear out the pads faster
4. Eventually the pads will "grab" onto the rotor and will not let go. This will produce heat that will cause the caliper to fail. When that happens you will not have a front brake.

Why not just do the job correct and replace the rotor.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 05/20/20 at 14:15:51

Thanks for the replies.  I'm checking with Versy to see if he still has any rotors from the Ryca takeoffs he mentioned in the Marketplace.

I'm seeing an EBC rotor listed as a fitment for our bike (https://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/control-brakes/brake-rotors/ebc-...).  Anyone using that?

EBC_rotor.JPG

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 05/20/20 at 17:03:02

I don't have OEM front brake anymore but until recently I had heavily grooved and worn rotors and a strong tendency to lock up the front wheel. I got new rotors and pads and it's a night and day difference. I can still lock the front wheel if I try really hard. I actually practiced two wheel skids at 45 mph the other day just to see. Bike stays mostly straight!
Anyway now there's a whole wide range of braking power not just some braking and then lockup. It's obvious to me now how bad the old rotors were. Chuck that groovy thing.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/20/20 at 17:08:48

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 05/20/20 at 22:52:17

I bought that EBC rotor and it didn't fit had to send it back. It must have weighed 4 times what the stock rotor did. Get a used one on fleabay.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/21/20 at 03:17:07

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/20/20 at 12:42:37:
Tocsik wrote on 05/20/20 at 08:31:45:

If your rotor has grooves, it's time for replacement because:

1. It will corrode inside the grooves,
2. You have less surface area for the pads to bite into, which means longer stopping

Actually, the opposite is true
3. You will wear out the pads faster

Initially, yes, but the pads will polish the rough stuff down pretty quick,
4. Eventually the pads will "grab" onto the rotor and will not let go. This will produce heat that will cause the caliper to fail. When that happens you will not have a front brake.

Maybe on some race applications,, but not even a remote possibility on this bike

Why not just do the job correct and replace the rotor.

IDK ,, everything has wear limits, safety requirements,, and the front brake is The single most safety feature..
A series of hard braking moments and a dash through a wet spot in the street, quenching that rotor,, that is the recipe for a warp.. at what wear point is it likely to crack? I have no idea..
There's some really smart guys here, maybe someone knows enough about metals to Splain us something..

The grooves from letting it go too long are concentric, once the pads are cut to fit in the grooves, you have more braking surface area.
The best brakes on anything I had was 78 Gran Prix , I let the pads cut deep, like , everyone said replace them, I bought cheap pads, and they polished the rotors,, then put good ones on..
Didn't take too long for the pads to adopt the contours,, and, boy , that thing stopped,, the Michelins didn't hurt.

But, that's a car, cast iron, not a bike,, and you're well below the wear limit it seems.. You probably should be shopping around, I would, but I would not park my bike over it.
You have a disk
That's a pattern
No idea what material to use
But I wonder what having  a water jet cutter ..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 05/21/20 at 05:15:22

Tocsik,

EBC makes great brake components. I would recommend them. If you want the ultimate in braking, get Shawn's Big Brake Kit.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 05/21/20 at 09:12:13

I am embarrassed to admit that I quoted my disc thickness incorrectly.

My disc is just about factory thickness and has very little grooving. I can't explain what I thought I measured? A senior moment I suppose. Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/21/20 at 09:15:00

pesky verniers, always hard to read.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 05/21/20 at 09:37:57

norm92de wrote on 05/21/20 at 09:12:13:
I am embarrassed to admit that I quoted my disc thickness incorrectly.

My disc is just about factory thickness and has very little grooving. I can't explain what I thought I measured? A senior moment I suppose. Shocked

Hey, what is the factory thickness?  Will help me if I buy used.
Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 03:51:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front brake rotor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.