Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So, I bought a used carburetor… (Read 112 times)
Slopoke
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

So, I bought a used carburetor…
05/18/20 at 06:40:08

Long story short my original carb ended up missing.  Trying to be cheap I bought a used carb.  I now realize I should have just bought a new performance carb if I was going to go through this.

For some reason it has a 144 main jet installed.  I know 145 is stock.  But it also has an aftermarket adjustable needle with the original sized spacer.  I run close to sea level.  Can anybody identify the parts and determine if this is correct for a stock bike?  I know the jet is too small for running with a stock needle.  But with an aftermarket needle I am clueless.  I am debating if I want to just buy parts to return it to stock then start to tune the carb at that point.  Worried that other things may not be factory though that I may have not notice.

The vacuum slide was contaminated with an oil residue that caused it to stick.  My only guess is that the previous motorcycle must have had lots of blow-by?

The transient enrichment valve spring was also modified and cut short.  Does anybody know what this would accomplish?  I think the valve itself was sticking.  The cut spring may be causing it to side load in the bore.

Already bought a float for it.  But the time waiting on parts to show and the uncertain condition has me thinking I should have just bought an upgraded unit if I was going to go through tuning of it.. I was hoping on being able to throw it on and just go lol.

DSC03628.JPG
  IP Logged
Slopoke
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: So, I bought a used carburetor…
Reply #1 - 05/18/20 at 06:45:01

What the jet looks like.

DSC03625.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/18/20 at 07:07:09

That might be non mikuni jet.
check the tech section for a conversion list.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 05/18/20 at 08:05:51

You already invested in a float ,for another $21.00(total) you can buy a stock needle jet , main jet and the TEV spring. That's a bit cheaper than a replacement carb.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/18/20 at 10:20:37

The needle and main jet look like they came from a Dynojet kit.

Send me a PM, I think I've got all the CV parts you need.  
What ever I have is yours for shipping cost.

If not, I can fix you up with a VM36 kit...a few dollars more.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 05/18/20 at 12:14:12

Thanks for the photos SlowPoke.  Good material for the historical library.

The physical condition looks decent.  Why not just put it together and try it.  You never know, whoever modified it might have been competent.  It might run good as-is.

I would remove the pilot jet and hold it up to a bright light.  Verify that its not plugged.

Then, very carefully inspect the slide/diaphragm assembly.  Hold it up to a bright light and see if there are any holes in the diaphragm.  If the diaphragm is good, and the slide is in decent condition, and it moves freely in the body, it should work OK (the slide).

When you get the new float, install it and set the float level.  Check to verify that the needle & seat don't leak.  Put it together and try it.  It might run just fine, or at least good enough to start grooming it.

In the event that the slide/diaphragm are not serviceable, think about replacing the carb.  The slide assembly is expensive.

BTW, Lancer's offer of free parts is mighty generous.  Wink

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/18/20 at 12:38:45

Clean DRY slide,, not even fingerprints, on assembly

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Slopoke
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/18/20 at 19:17:13

LANCER wrote on 05/18/20 at 10:20:37:
The needle and main jet look like they came from a Dynojet kit.

Send me a PM, I think I've got all the CV parts you need.  
What ever I have is yours for shipping cost.

If not, I can fix you up with a VM36 kit...a few dollars more.

Wow thanks Lancer.

Actually this fiasco started 2 months ago.  When I parked my bike in my garage 15 years ago I did not realize it was going to sit so long.  It only has 2k on the odometer.  I pulled the carb off and it had heavy corrosion in the bowl because I did not store it properly.  The outside looked new lol.  Anyways from the start I was thinking about just buying one of your performance carbs.

But I looked at the dry rotted tires and though just get it running and safe. So I went the rebuild route.  I ended up buying everything for the original carb.  Two floats because my dog chewed the first one up after the mailman dropped it off.  Trying to replace the float I ended up breaking the support for the float trying to get the pin out.  Buddy of mine said he could fix it at work but it went missing.

Bought this second carb May 5th.  The seller shipped it to the wrong customer.  I eventually get it damaged in shipping with a bent enrichment knob.

I bought a third float because the 2nd one went missing with the carb.  Those are $30 a pop shipped.  So I spent $90 in floats alone $150 for a used carb.  

Anyways thanks everybody.  I decided to mount this up and see what happens.  If it runs ok then fine, I get plop that spring in any time.  If it runs poorly I will need to decide if I want to continue messing with it.

My plan was to just get this running again this year and do a carb upgrade next year.  So eventually I probably will pm you for prices or parts Lancer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/18/20 at 19:55:18

Trust me,, Much better the dog chewed the floats,, and not the mailman

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 05/18/20 at 20:56:00

When reassembling the TEV spring,  face the cut side toward the outside so the diaphragm isn't damaged. I would bend that cut end in a little flatter so it stays centered.
 That spring usually looks the same at both ends ,ending with a few tight coils ,it may end up being too short and opening early , backfire won't be your problem, soot and poor mpg might be .I hope Lancer can fix you up with a spring also.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/18/20 at 21:26:37

And Batman Says he isnt actually a nice guy,, Bullshit,, He is so nice hes tryin to give other peoples stuff away,,

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 05/20/20 at 20:53:27

JOG...does that mean I'm too nice?  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/21/20 at 03:44:38

You know I'm not qualified to answer that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 02:16:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So, I bought a used carburetor…

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.