Send Topic Print
Decompressor delete (Read 275 times)
keeder28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decompressor delete
05/12/20 at 19:11:07

Looking at deleting the decompressor from the wiring harness I’m building. Anyone done this and have revised diagram of how you wired the ignition circuit?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Decompressor delete
Reply #1 - 05/12/20 at 19:16:35

keeder28 wrote on 05/12/20 at 19:11:07:
Looking at deleting the decompressor from the wiring harness I’m building. Anyone done this and have revised diagram of how you wired the ignition circuit?

You can remove it. I would suggest replacing it with a manual lever in the unlikely event that it is required one day to get over the compression stroke. I haven’t had the decomp for 5 years, nor have I needed it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/12/20 at 20:04:51

manual lever, and you can pull the decomp controller box above the carb.
you'll need to jump the wire coming from the starter switch to the relay in the connector that you pulled the controller from.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 05/12/20 at 22:19:41

Keeper get your 10 posts
Then pm me your email
I'll send some diagrams

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/13/20 at 03:39:25

When I removed mine I just screwed in a 1.5 or 2”  bolt to the decomp. lever on the head, so if I need to use it I just push it with my thumb.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 05/13/20 at 15:32:15

Ruttly wrote on 05/12/20 at 22:19:41:
Keeper get your 10 posts
Then pm me your email
I'll send some diagrams
------------

Oh, it was your fault!!  Figures... Wink

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 05/13/20 at 15:34:03

Keeper get your 10 posts
Then pm me your email
I'll send some diagrams
---------

Which keeper read as:

Keeper start 10 threads
Then pm me your email
I'll send some diagrams

Grin

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/14/20 at 07:48:15

keeder28 wrote on 05/12/20 at 19:11:07:

Keep the the decompresor in your in your wirings its there fore some purpose?

Sooo, Im that old that my friend drove Norton or Triump, and a kickstart!
In any case, they have to kick some times and then put the motor in a god mode for starting!
If they dont do this, it could start backward, broke there legs!
In any case, thats was a millenium ago!
Soo back to LS650/S40, there are no kickstarter.
In any case.. I figure out that the decompession circute an the solenoid thing to this is about the same thing?

Sooo im pretending to write that I know somthing.. im read at least some parts of the manual.. it says, check your decorompession valve cleranse.

And my sugestions, on youtube I got some that got there starter gear asembly ruined.. probaly by motors that goit backward!

In any case.. keep the decomp circute.. its there for som purpose.. probaby for not get a backward start,, and ruin your starter gears?

I think that those enginers att Suziki figured it out, they put an decomp soleniod valve there for safe starting?
In anycase.. if you have severals of LS650/S40 motors.. take a lottery!
The ting is.. the decomp valve.. if one read the manuals is one of the most umportante things to do! Ie dont cut out the decomp.. if you dont have a lot of spare engines!
And to that.. ceep your decomp circute, its there for some reason, mail the Suzuki ingeners to ask why they put i on?Its crappity smacking there for som purpose.. probably for not get a backward start?

IP Logged
keeder28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/14/20 at 08:00:15

I’m not deleting the decompression valve, just the solenoid and and controller. I am replacing the controller with a manual cable pull or lever to decompress the motor slightly at ignition. From what I understand that is the sole purpose of the decompression valve, to prevent destroying the starter. That being said I am just deleting the electrical components and asking for what a harness/diagram may look like with out these electrical components. I’m almost done drawing my own. I just want something to check it against before I build my harness.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 05/14/20 at 08:08:18

Zepp wrote on 05/14/20 at 07:48:15:
Keep the the decompresor in your in your wirings its there fore some purpose?

Edited for brevity

That's a long explanation for someone that doesn't know what they are talking about. Do a search here, and I think you will find that this is a very common mod for people that need to re-claim that space for another purpose. I've yet to see a single post suggesting that the removal of the decomp-solinoid has damaged anything.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/14/20 at 08:17:54

Zepp wrote on 05/14/20 at 07:48:15:
And my sugestions, on youtube I got some that got there starter gear asembly ruined.. probaly by motors that goit backward!

In any case.. keep the decomp circute.. its there for som purpose.. probaby for not get a backward start,, and ruin your starter gears?

I think that those enginers att Suziki figured it out, they put an decomp soleniod valve there for safe starting?
In anycase.. if you have severals of LS650/S40 motors.. take a lottery!
The ting is.. the decomp valve.. if one read the manuals is one of the most umportante things to do! Ie dont cut out the decomp.. if you dont have a lot of spare engines!
And to that.. ceep your decomp circute, its there for some reason, mail the Suzuki ingeners to ask why they put i on?Its crappity smacking there for som purpose.. probably for not get a backward start?

Backward start has never been an issue with this bike.  Possibly because of the electric starter and retarding the ignition during start.

However, there is an issue at shutdown.  The piston will sometimes stop on the compression stroke and the crank will turn backwards to release pressure.  Going backwards will engage the one-way clutch of the starter.  The starter is strong enough to resist turn and excessive forces will either break teeth or blow out the bosses supporting the shafts.  This was fixed when they added the torque limiter gear.

The decomp system is there to aid starting as sometimes the engine will quit rotating on the compression stroke and the starter is not able to power thru w/out some free rotation before hand.  If you've ever tried to push start the bike you'd find this out as it skidded to a stop instead of starting.  Also if you've tried a rolling start and it just skidded instead of starting this is the reason for the decomp system.  It releases the compression and allows the engine to turn freely before coming to the compression stroke.

WWW   IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/14/20 at 09:27:52

Okey.. im juste an old biker.. 20 years ago!
In any case, I drowe Suzuki two strokers that time but some of my friends drove Norton or Triumph.
And then its about if that if the starting soloniad have some purpose?
Hey.. I did drive twostrokers but some of my friends drove Norton or Triuph, they hade a starting secuens anyhow!
In any case they have to kick several times to get the enging preperade for statting.
Sooo back to the starting decopmp solinoid valve.. I think thats its have some purpose?
My sugestion is that the staring decomp valve is for not get a reward starting, that can damage ones starting gears?
In any case Im only a old time biker.. i did drive Suzuki twostrokers att that time, but some ol off my friends did drove Norton or Triuph!
In a ter way.. they have to kicking around at least several times to get the enginge in the right mood !
Dont crappity smacking bother about hove to kickstart a bike if you have a Savage/S40.. there is no kickstart.. its a surender to new way to live!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/14/20 at 11:38:52

Zepp wrote on 05/14/20 at 09:27:52:
Okey.. im juste an old biker.. 20 years ago!
In any case, I drowe Suzuki two strokers that time but some of my friends drove Norton or Triumph.
And then its about if that if the starting soloniad have some purpose?
Hey.. I did drive twostrokers but some of my friends drove Norton or Triuph, they hade a starting secuens anyhow!
In any case they have to kick several times to get the enging preperade for statting.
Sooo back to the starting decopmp solinoid valve.. I think thats its have some purpose?
My sugestion is that the staring decomp valve is for not get a reward starting, that can damage ones starting gears?
In any case Im only a old time biker.. i did drive Suzuki twostrokers att that time, but some ol off my friends did drove Norton or Triuph!
In a ter way.. they have to kicking around at least several times to get the enginge in the right mood !
Dont crappity smacking bother about hove to kickstart a bike if you have a Savage/S40.. there is no kickstart.. its a surender to new way to live!

Thanks a lot of on this things
In anyway some of my friends drove Norton or Triumph in those days, they have to kick the motor some turns .. and if the dont this, it could brek there lover bones!
It was this time hovever.. I drove  Suzuki T 500 twostroker at this time!
Its there a purpose for that decomp valve anyhow?
I any case we dont need to get a lover bone fracktur any  more,, we got an LS650  or an S40!
Soo if the depomp valve and the wirings.. I sugeust its about the same problems that I have spoken about,, a big thumper to get starting?
In anyway, I have read the manualks.. at leaste sorts of it and it says.. check your  decompvalves.. its  importante!
In any case I only hade some Suzuki twostrokers  and som Honda crappity smacking four four strokers!

In any. way. they put this deomp valve and virings for some purpose.. maby they was enginers or sales persons.. I hope it was the Enginering sort of pepel that put it on!
In any case.. its there, it could do the purpose.. probably mostly aboout starting the motor on cold weather?
And you guys and gals in suthern Californa or florida dont ever  ned a decomp valve.. any sort of !
In anyway ceep me and others to presev ones S40/LS650 going around,  make atentions that some of us have older bikes!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 05/14/20 at 13:31:57

So are you saying that you "drove" Suzuki two strokers, but time your friends drove Norton or Triumph? I can see how that is completely relevant.

No one is suggesting that the decompression system be removed from the engine. It is being suggested that it is safe/fine to remove the decomp solenoid, replacing that with a manual lever.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/15/20 at 04:22:55

The Suzuki Savage is (was) a bike sold all over the world, and was ridden in some very hot and very cold climates.  When you need to start the Savage and it is 10 degrees, the oil is cold and thick and the battery is down on power from the cold and maybe a few years old - it is in those conditions where I believe the decompression solenoid serves a purpose.  Having the solenoid provides a better chance you can get the bike started when it is incredibly cold.....it is for those conditions that I believe Suzuki installed the release.

If you are like most of us on this forum and chose the days you ride the bike and you only ride in warm weather - the decompression solenoid is not likely doing very much.

Those of us who have removed it have found the bike starts pretty much normal without the automatic release.  I have a high compression 95mm Wiseco piston in my bike, and I removed the automatic compression release and installed a manual lever.  When I push the start button on a cold engine - 99 out of 100 times the engine fires right up.......every once in a while the engine stopped on the beginning of the compression stroke, and the starter cannot push the piston over TDC.  When that happens I need to use the manual compression release.

With the stock piston.......you may very well not need to have a compression release if you ride in warm weather or the bike is stored in a warm building when the weather is cold.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:59:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decompressor delete

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.