Exhaust question (Read 131 times)
GearHead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Casper, WY
Exhaust question
05/09/20 at 17:53:50

I'm relatively new to this page. I am almost done with my 88 savage bobber build. I've done a complete re paint, chain conversion, high compression piston, upgraded cam, cleaned the heads up, new valve seats, better clutch packs and am trying to finish it up with an exhaust that will both sound good and not hinder any of the engine upgrades. Id already purchased the exhaust since its truly one of a kind and I'm wondering if this is going to work as I was hoping it was going to. The exhaust has no baffles. Picture attached

20200509_185028.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Exhaust question
Reply #1 - 05/09/20 at 19:56:57

YOu might get it installed, but its not gonna run wurfashit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #2 - 05/09/20 at 20:35:09

Unless you are an absolute wizard at carb tuning you probably won't be happy with that pipe as is. The BS40 doesn't respond well to open exhausts.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 05/09/20 at 20:35:40

Fraid he's right, it's gonna run like crap,be way too loud,probably gonna burn a valve. Stick with what has been proven to work well. Stock pipe with adaptor to a Dyna muffler. You'll be able to jet it then,make good power and not loose your hearing.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
GearHead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Casper, WY
Reply #4 - 05/09/20 at 21:25:30

Thank you guys for the insight would this be more what I'm after then?

20200509_222348.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/09/20 at 22:25:46

With the work youve done, money spent, you might be ahead to go with the Dyna muffler and see how it works. You might like it. Its inexpensive and the right model goes on pretty easy. Just gotta get a turn out made at a muffler shop. Probably the same for that sexy lookin thing.. If ya dont dig it, you can get one of those and try.
When ya get into the mods, tuning turns into a bit of an art and science,, some trial and error,, so, Id start with cheap and see how it goes.. Wouldnt ya hate to spend a lot and find out an inexpensive alternative was the answer>?
Not sayin that wont work,, Might be THE exact thing ya need,, Who knows?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 05/10/20 at 00:27:07

IP Logged
GearHead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Casper, WY
Reply #7 - 05/10/20 at 08:06:44

So just out of curiosity what's the difference between the slash cut and the dome look of the diffrent slip ons? From what I've read and noticed is that they both have similar baffles. I apologize if I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be i just rather get something thats both going look good and work right.

20200510_090422.jpg
  IP Logged
GearHead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Casper, WY
Reply #8 - 05/10/20 at 08:11:04

If getting something like this like "zipidachimp" mentioned is truly the best option thats something I can work with im just wondering what the difference between the two are. They are both about the same prices and again seem to be identical.  
Thanks

Screenshot_20200510-090739_eBay.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 05/10/20 at 09:11:28

The problem isn't that it's a straight thru muffler or a slash cut ,but that it should be an actual unmolested (baffle in place) H-D muffler not an after market look-a-like.
  The exhaust header you show needs to reduce to the same size as the stock  Savage header to fit the H-D muffler. the header's ID shouldn't be larger than 1.5" for your setup, and may have to be reduced to fit the muffler
  The header you show being straight thru ,would be hard to tune a carb to, this type would show very sharp torque peaks and only run well at wide open throttle, trying to baffle it would be a hard balance between back pressure and over restricting the small area of the pipe.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
GearHead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Casper, WY
Reply #10 - 05/10/20 at 09:53:51

O okay that make since, so while looking for a exhaust tip I need to make sure its baffled and has to have a ID of 1.5" max correct. And dose length play a roll in this at all?

Thanks Batman for the clarification

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 05/10/20 at 11:23:50

The chrome on the Harley units is way better than aftermarket, sound is enough, fitting is a bit tricky due to mismatch in sizes, but doable with adapter, exhaust paste and a strong clamp. Clamp should be stainless 1" wide. See other threads for model choice.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 05/11/20 at 06:41:19

The length of the exhaust only comes into play when there is overlap in the cam ,none of the cams you used in the bike (if stage1-2-3 or DR650) have any overlap so length shouldn't be a problem.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/13/20 at 04:07:07

I run a dyna muffler like the one in the pic and it tunes and sounds great.
Baffles in place and i believe mine even has a cat converter, (i'm in Australia).
Highway speeds it plenty loud.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 05/13/20 at 15:45:34

I run a modified stock muffler.  Lots of power, very reliable, super quiet, level of difficulty moderate.

Finished_Product_Rough_2_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 01:43:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.