Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Torque Clutch Springs Bolts? (Read 290 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Torque Clutch Springs Bolts?
05/04/20 at 13:06:51

The Clymer book says 40-60 Nm. Set the wrench to 50 and snap - off with the head. Set the wrench to 45 and snap - off with the head. Set wrench to 40 and snap - off with the head.

Before I decapitate the final bolt, WTF?
Bad bolts?
Bad torque value?
Bad wrench?

FWIW the wrench is brand new and I have been using it on many other bolts without problems.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Torque Clutch Springs Bolts?
Reply #1 - 05/04/20 at 13:18:29

If those are the 10mm head, 6mm thread, then 6-7 ft/lb. 72-84 inch pound. 4(?) NM

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 05/04/20 at 13:45:52

6-7 ft-lbs is 8 to 9.5 nm

According to Clymer the Clutch Spring bolts should be torqued to 11-13 Nm or 8 to 10 ft-lbs (Chapter 5, Clutch, Table 2. page 163).

There's nothing in the clutch assembly that gets torqued to 40-60Nm as you noted. The clutch lock nut is closest at 36-51 ft-lbs (50-70 Nm).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 05/04/20 at 14:20:27

I see now. For some reason I failed to find table 2 on 163 and not finding it thought it must be referring to table 2 on page 20 under General Information. Doh!
My bad.
Still, they couldn't put the value in line with the text for step 22 on page 158?. Or at least provide the page number for table 2?

Step 22 could have easily read "Using a crisscross pattern, tighten the clutch bolts to X lbs.
Instead of "Using a crisscross pattern, tighten the clutch bolts to the torque specifications listed in Table 2.

It's 6 less words to just put the value in line and save having to go to another page. Seriously anal retentive authors...

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 05/04/20 at 14:35:36

After you do this for a while, you'll realize that 30-45 ft/lbs for a 6mm fastener is WAY wrong, even if that is what you are reading. In my bike class I have a block of aluminum that I've threaded 6, 8, and 10mm. I have the students (using a torque wrench) torque bolts into the block at the standard torque specs for those sizes. Just so they'll know what is 'normal' for those size bolts.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 05/04/20 at 14:50:57

philthymike wrote on 05/04/20 at 14:20:27:
I see now. For some reason I failed to find table 2 on 163 and not finding it thought it must be referring to table 2 on page 20 under General Information. Doh!
My bad.
Still, they couldn't put the value in line with the text for step 22 on page 158?. Or at least provide the page number for table 2?

Step 22 could have easily read "Using a crisscross pattern, tighten the clutch bolts to X lbs.
Instead of "Using a crisscross pattern, tighten the clutch bolts to the torque specifications listed in Table 2.

It's 6 less words to just put the value in line and save having to go to another page. Seriously anal retentive authors...

I've been using Clymer manuals since the early '80's. They aren't always the best, but they are consistent - torque tables are always at the end of the chapter. I guess so it's easier to edit.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #6 - 05/04/20 at 14:58:57

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/04/20 at 14:50:57:
philthymike wrote on 05/04/20 at 14:20:27:
My bad.

I've been using Clymer manuals since the early '80's. They aren't always the best, but they are consistent - torque tables are always at the end of the chapter. I guess so it's easier to edit.

I find it infuriating. Especially when the Clutch chapter refers you back to chapter 1 for clutch adjustment instructions. Seriously? And of course it doesn't say which page in chapter 1. But consistency for me would be having clutch adjustment procedure in the chapter for the clutch.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 05/04/20 at 15:03:25

Armen wrote on 05/04/20 at 14:35:36:
After you do this for a while, you'll realize that 30-45 ft/lbs for a 6mm fastener is WAY wrong, even if that is what you are reading. In my bike class I have a block of aluminum that I've threaded 6, 8, and 10mm. I have the students (using a torque wrench) torque bolts into the block at the standard torque specs for those sizes. Just so they'll know what is 'normal' for those size bolts.

The bolts are 10mm. It wasn't an unusual torque value for the size.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/04/20 at 15:16:01

philthymike wrote on 05/04/20 at 15:03:25:
Armen wrote on 05/04/20 at 14:35:36:

The bolts are 10mm. It wasn't an unusual torque value for the size.

The hex may be 10mm but the threads are M6.
and you may get away torquing those to 30-45 a couple of times, but they'll break sooner or later... more likely sooner.

WWW   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #9 - 05/04/20 at 16:15:27

Philthy,
Common mistake. Fasteners are described by their thread diameter, not wrench size.
Most 6mm bolts are 10mm wrench size. 8mm are either 12 or 13. 10 can be 14, 15, 16, or 17.
And so on.
I remember once a student in my bike class announced that all the motor mount bolts were defective, and had broken when he torqued them. Turns out he was going by the 12mm wrench size instead of the 8mm thread diameter. Instant two piece bolts!
oooops Roll Eyes

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #10 - 05/05/20 at 06:59:43

I'm gonna chalk this up to never doing hooked on phonics as a kid.
Ordered a new pressure plate to the tune of $41. Lesson learned....

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 05/06/20 at 14:16:02

I'm really not trying to be a smart ass. But I seldom use a torque wrench.

I have worked on bikes, cars and anything else that happened to get in my way for many years. Never break a bolt or strip threads. What am I doing wrong? Perhaps on a cylinder head or something like that I would use one but routine work never. Maybe somebody up there likes me?

I am not plagued by leaks or anything else on my stuff. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/06/20 at 16:33:09

I'm with you norm92de. I probably do 90-95% of my work by feel.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #13 - 05/07/20 at 07:06:17

True confessions, I'm with you Norm. Use torque wrenches for stuff like cylinder heads.
A lot of the stuff I work on is old, and have had more hands on them than a drunk hooker at a frat party. Doing by feel allows me to feel the threads/fastener to stretch. Many times the right torque spec on old stuff means ripping the threads out. Loctite is your friend on old stuff.
And every now and the the manuals are wrong. I could bore you with examples, but I've busted lots of stuff using torque specs.
For a beginner, a torque wrench is a good way to develop a sense of how tight is tight enough. When I teach my class and have folks torque bolts to spec, they almost all say they would have over-torqued the 6mm fasteners and under torqued the 10mm ones.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 05/07/20 at 07:18:19

Depends on the fastener. Engine parts, fame bolts, almost anything M8 or higher I use a torque wrench. For the run of the mill stuff, M5, M6..I go by feel...and blue loctite when I'm concerned.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 02:27:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Torque Clutch Springs Bolts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.