cam chain tensioner (Read 84 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
cam chain tensioner
04/24/20 at 14:26:32

Took My side cover off today, 10k miles 16.3 mm extension, guess I need to talk to Versy. What is normal for 10k miles, anybody know?

Also has anybody taken off their exhaust and not found the copper gasket. I find it hard to believe that Suzuki failed to fit one but nobody has touched the bike since it left the dealer. Murphy has played tricks on me but that gasket is pretty big to lose???

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: cam chain tensioner
Reply #1 - 04/24/20 at 15:35:35

The exhaust gasket is more like the dryer hose, lots smaller diameter, of course. You can walk it outta the head and massage it to a  little longer and rerun it.
IDK whats Normal for th tensioner

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/24/20 at 15:37:54

depends on how you ride, if you ride like youzguyz then it would be half done.
a very conservative estimate is 1000 miles per mm.

the gasket get mashed, it may be there just hard to see.

WWW   IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #3 - 04/24/20 at 19:15:27

I bought my bike at 1789 miles and at 5888 miles I checked the tensioner
It was out 14mm  Bikes early life is unknown to me but I am a conservative rider by my reckoning never let the engine lug etc  It seems to me these cam chains wear a lot and the tensioners are just waiting to do real damage

Hiko   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 04/25/20 at 14:06:20

I don't really think there is a normal. There seems to be a lot of variation. I checked the gf's CTT at about 10k kms and it had about 6mm left but it's pretty well not budged the last two times I've checked, at 36k kms it still had about 5mm left, so I put on a Versy anyway and left it on the first notch, so I don't have to worry. It's at 41k kms and it still sounds normal, but I'll be pulling it off at 42k kms and I would not be surprised if it's still got something left.

With regards to the gasket, it's not copper it's an aluminium crush gasket, you'll need to get a little hook from an autorparts store to make it easy to get at. Believe me it's the best $3 you'll spend. Try to dig the point of the tool into the middle of the gasket so as not to scratch the mating surface of the engine. It will all be blackened so use a strong torch to see where the edges are.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 04/25/20 at 19:59:20

Finished up today.
Modified the cam chain tensioner. Removed the pawl spring and prevented the plunger from retracting more than 16mm. It has been talked about here several times.

I was surprised at how flexible the mechanism was. I'm not really sure that the expansion of the cylinder is as important as we seem to think it is. My estimate of the expansion is .025" between the cam and crankshaft. Stress on the cam chain is what is important but how do we measure it?

One thing is sure Suzuki did a poor job of cam chain tension issues.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:35:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam chain tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.