Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag recommendations (Read 77 times)
SilliusSoddus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saddlebag recommendations
04/24/20 at 13:40:13

Hi, I'm looking for saddlebag recommendations.  I did some searching on here for previous threads and found a couple.  Seems like what I see people recommending most are Viking, Nomad USA and Willie and Max.  Doing some googling, I found a few that looked nice.  But I still have questions about what is compatible w/ the Savage.  

I am looking at getting bags on the larger side if possible so I might be able to do some short road trips or lightweight camping.  But I don't want something that is going to look ridiculous either.   E.g.  I kind of like the looks of this one:

https://www.motorcyclehouse.com/nomad-usa-slanted-medium-black-leather-motorc...

But is 21 inches too big for the Savage?  Should I go w/ the the 16 inch version?

Also, seems like there is quite a bit of discussion around mounts not fitting, having to move tail lights, etc.  Is there a comprehensive list of saddlebags that easily fit onto the Savage without a lot of fuss?  What is typically involved in getting them mounted?  A lot of them look like they just kind of drape over the bike somehow below the seat then you install the seat back on top of them?  Is there a mounting bracket involved at all that presents hardware compatibility challenges?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Re: Saddlebag recommendations
Reply #1 - 04/24/20 at 19:46:35

To get reasonable bags for road camping trips I think you will have to move the taillights  The quick removable bags usually just have straps that goover the top of the pillion

Hiko   IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #2 - 04/24/20 at 22:58:10

i have viking bags, they are ok.  get the ones with the shock cutout if you go very large, mine rub on the shock and have split the seam a bit.  their mounting brackets work but are basic at best.  they were cheap for bags, so i was not expecting much and they have been in the florida sun/rain for about 4 years.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 04/25/20 at 10:21:22

21" bags are kind of long for the savage, and leather is expensive and a pain to maintain .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
GBG

'06 S40. Stock plus
saddlebags.

Cincinnati, OH
Reply #4 - 04/25/20 at 10:45:14

The mid size Willie and Max did not need the turn signals moved. They rest right up against.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/25/20 at 11:18:22

They crack, but, for the money, they worked out for me,. Someone gave them to me, used, I Think thats what they were.. I didnt like how they hung and fit across the Voltage Reg, so I went to hobby Lobby and got gromets and a set tool and cut them apart, punched holes, set grommets and used parachute corde laced through and put holes inside so I could lace them to the brackets, too,, A milk crate across the seat and those let me go grocery shopping, or to the gas station to fill cans,, The milk crate holds a five gallon or two, two and 1/2 gallon,, Or, six gallons of milk,,or
a thirty pack of beer..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SilliusSoddus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/27/20 at 10:29:36

Thanks for all the replies!  Very helpful.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:23:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag recommendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.