Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
help! Didn't winterize and my Savage won't start! (Read 166 times)
sammie5832
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

help! Didn't winterize and my Savage won't start!
04/24/20 at 08:10:05

I have a  96 Savage in good condition. Nothing is wrong with the battery. Cranks, but won't start. I tried that additive they recommend to put in the fuel to clean the carbs and nothing. Won't turn over with the choke in or out. I've heard taking the hose of of the carburetor and spraying some starter fluid in it and putting the hose back will get it started. Any truth to that?  KissWas sitting all winter with low fuel.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: help! Didn't winterize and my Savage won't sta
Reply #1 - 04/24/20 at 08:30:48

Cranks but wont start is still a common issue with a battery that isn't fully charged on these bikes.  Are you sure the battery is fully charged?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 04/24/20 at 10:42:18

Eegore is correct, the battery must be fully charged for the CDI/igniter to provide enough spark.

Starting fluid is usually sprayed into the intake of the carb to facilitate starting. If the carb jets are clogged, the bike will start until it consumes the starting fluid and then stop running. This is a good diagnostic tool to determine if you have a fuel or ignition problem.

Once you’ve charged the battery and have confirmed that the spark plug has a nice blue spark, if the bike still doesn’t start then the problem is likely a gummed up carb. That will require removal, disassembly and cleaning/adjustment.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/24/20 at 12:07:19

After cleaning the carb you have to put it on Prime.
Yes, the battery can act all good, spin it over,, but wont make a spark,,
I prove fuel versus electrical by using ether..
If it'll try on ether,,, thaats helpful in chasing
wont start

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/24/20 at 19:21:38

Bikes usually don't "clog" up over a winter unless your winters last 18 months or more.  Charge the battery, hit it with a spritz or starting fluid if you feel the need.  Once it fires go ride it for 30 minutes.  

I never "winterize" ANYTHING that will sit for 4-5 months during our Ohio winters.  No additives, no cleaners or any of that TOTAL BULL nuts.  I have a lithium battery, I leave it in the bike and I don't put a charger on it.  My bikes always fire up within a few kicks, I mean clicks of the starter motor (went back to my MX days there), and my 30 year old commercial mower starts within a few pulls of the cord after I spritz it with starting fluid. (First pull the rest of the season, no spritz needed.  Last spark plug change...about 20 years ago.  lol)

I do like to change the oil after winter just incase any condensation has built up, but honestly, it's probably so minimal it really doesn't matter.  

Now I'm sure one of our forum experts will point out that I'm doing this all wrong, but it's worked for me since I was a kid.  So take their BS with a grain of salt!  Grin Grin

EDIT:  I will say that I do ride my bike a lot during the summer and fairly late into the season.  "Winterizing" might make sense for those who ride less and their bike sits longer.  Really it's whatever works for you. I'm just telling you what works for me.

« Last Edit: 04/24/20 at 21:47:30 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/24/20 at 20:00:47

Youve cranked enough to get frustrated. Its time to charge it. It had been parked, thats not the nicest thing for a battery
Then, Use Prime and load the carburetor.
A whisper of ether might be needed, buut with a hot battery, full carburetor bowl, it should go, If it doesnt, dont run it down, hit it with just a small squirt in the air filter. Pull the side off that hides behind the tin on the rght side.
Loosen the screw holding the end on the air box, pull the end off, pull and clean the air filter,, after you put a shot of ether in there and hit the starter. Too much ether isnt a good thing,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 04/24/20 at 21:19:26

compression, is the third part of the part of getting the bike to run fuel and spark the other two. oil tends to drain off the cylinder walls and piston rings when the bike has been sitting. Remove the sparkplug and add a small amount of oil to the cylinder that should lube the walls preventing damage and help seal the rings to raise compression, you'll be able to use less either(starter fluid) and have a better chance the bike will fire up.  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/24/20 at 21:38:55

If the starter runs at the same speed, then you got no compression. You can hear the beat ,, if it's got compression. One winter in the shed won't lose that much oil.
Charge the battery
Prime the carburetor
Try it.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/24/20 at 21:51:08

Now that I have had more time to think about it, I'm pretty sure your motor is blown.  Yep, that's it.  To be sure, you should probably spend about $100-$200 on maintenance and then see if it runs. If it doesn't, it's blown.  Good luck.

Oh, and what oil did you put in it?  And you surly need to rejet it too.  Where do you live, what's your elevation?  Do you have a Raptor petcock (legit? most of the time) and have you checked your tension yet (also legit but not related to this thread.)

Over and out.

IP Logged
MarcosS40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Central PA.
Reply #9 - 04/25/20 at 06:51:49

Grin Grin Grin  Good comment! This thread went south in a hurry...

My 2 cents... charge the battery and put fresh fuel in it and you should be good to go. How's that sound!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 04/25/20 at 09:54:30

dangerous ! he's already tried to start the bike , if there was oil on the cylinder walls it's likely gone now , if he doesn't add oil to it or use spray fogging oil he could damage the cylinder walls with further cranking. use of starter fluid would make this even worse. Ask Lancer about having to rebuild his top end one spring.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 04/25/20 at 10:01:45

Oh man, I like to send the threads "south" but since y'all did already - maybe time to send north …

Please winterize now, we're getting viral winter …

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/25/20 at 11:09:02

batman wrote on 04/25/20 at 09:54:30:
dangerous ! he's already tried to start the bike , if there was oil on the cylinder walls it's likely gone now , if he doesn't add oil to it or use spray fogging oil he could damage the cylinder walls with further cranking. use of starter fluid would make this even worse. Ask Lancer about having to rebuild his top end one spring.

Ya know,, Im gonna agree.. Well done explanation

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 04/26/20 at 04:15:03

ohiomoto wrote on 04/24/20 at 19:21:38:
Bikes usually don't "clog" up over a winter unless your winters last 18 months or more.  

2 years ago I sold a Savage to a local lady, and it is a great bike for her.  She never winterizes the bike, and every spring it doesn't start for her.  When she calls I go over and drain the float bowl, and get the stale fuel out.....and the bike fires up once it has fresh fuel.  This spring was the third one in a row that it was necessary to do this for her - the bike is stored in a garage in the basement, and each time they open the doors to get the cars out a blast of cold, damp winter air gets inside the garage.

I am thankful that so far the carb has not clogged up - but when the bike sits for 6 months and the fuel in the float bowl has evaporated most of the the gasoline away and the remaining swill has a lot of ethanol in it.....the bike won't start.

I have not been successful in getting her and her husband to run the bike out of fuel before putting it away for the winter.  With an empty float bowl I suspect the bike would start each spring once they turn on the petcock and get fresh fuel in the carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 04/26/20 at 08:05:32

Dave,, you mite wanna walk over and ask if she's done with it .. and just run it dry for her.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:35:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help! Didn't winterize and my Savage won't start!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.