Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Help me find out if my engine is blown (Read 242 times)
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help me find out if my engine is blown
04/21/20 at 13:34:28

Okay so here the story on my bike. I bought it about a year ago with 4500 miles. it was my first bike. When I first got it the carburetor was dumping gas out the top so I sent it the mechanic and had the carb rebuilt, oil changed and the battery replaced. I everyday rode it for about 4 months, downed it a couple times. Clutch cable snapped on me while riding in second gear, put a brand new one in. Then the rod for the clutch lever snapped on a long distance trip so I brought it to a shop and got it welded. My next break down was when my petcock failed, realized it was the petcock and just turned it to prime. Rode it without issues for awhile after that and then I was making about a 150 mile trip and my bike all of a sudden died on the highway, wouldnt start back up. Got it towed to my girlfriend's house and changed the spark plug cause that's all I could think it could be having already had the carb rebuilt and that did nothing. Now the kicker is that I never had the oil changed between that point and when I got it and it's now at about 10000 miles so 5500 miles with no oil change. So really my question is, is the engine likely blown from lack of oil (none visible in the oil sight hole but there never was when I got it back from mechanic and I didnt know enough to question it) or could it be from the petcock having been on prime or some other issue?? I assumed the engine was just blown so it had been sitting at my girlfriend's house for about 8 months but I just got it back and the more I think about it the more I'm curious if I could get it to run again, the engine will still crank/turn over. Thank you very much for any help!!!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Help me find out if my engine is blown
Reply #1 - 04/21/20 at 13:50:21

What did it do before dying on the highway. You could have well had the cam chain jump off, or the lack/low of oil kill it.
Usually carb problems occur when sitting, so do spark but again electrical problem can hit anytime. Does it have spark now ?
And does it have oil. Very important to answer these 2.
Presume it had gas - else you'd not have got on the highway. But then again I'd also think I'd know if it had oil before getting on the highway.

This story sounds like my friend who broke a valve due to carb that had a missing vacuum line - the ting ran so lean it just burnt its valves out.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/21/20 at 13:59:18

It just died, didnt really notice anything before then just suddenly died didnt bog down first or anything just cut off and died. I ended up purchasing another savage and cracked the oil filter cover so had to take the one off this bike so no oil in it now or very little havent tried to start in awhile. I did change the spark plug so I assume it had spark but I dont know how to check if it for sure does.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/21/20 at 14:12:05

Oil level needs to be checked with the bike held upright, not on the kickstand.
Nearly upright is ok, I put a brick under the kickstand and it's nearly upright.

5000 miles is a bit long, but if you had oil, it's ok.
riding down the highway over 70 it will burn oil.

The petcock is likely the issue.  when they fail either they pour gas into the intake or they shut off.  Next up could be the safeties, but if it were those it wouldn't crank.

A blown engine would've been loud, clanking at least.

Is your header blue?

Maybe someone is near boston and can help you out.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 04/21/20 at 14:12:17

I know this is a silly question but you do have gas. After 150  miles on prime you could simply have run out of fuel.

Check the oil level. In fact change the oil and put 2-qts of fresh oil in it. After all that put a genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock on it you will not regret it.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/21/20 at 14:17:49

It definitely has gas. I was only about halfway through the trip. I never tried filling the oil to the correct level however, so you think maybe that could be preventing it from starting?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/21/20 at 14:19:10

joshbur237 wrote on 04/21/20 at 14:17:49:
It definitely has gas. I was only about halfway through the trip. I never tried filling the oil to the correct level however, so you think maybe that could be preventing it from starting?

only if it were bone dry and seized up.

you'll have to ask someone else how far you can ride it after forgetting to put oil in it after changing it.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 04/21/20 at 14:20:38

low oil will not prevent it from starting. Low fuel will. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/21/20 at 14:23:31

norm92de wrote on 04/21/20 at 14:20:38:
low oil will not prevent it from starting. Low fuel will. Smiley

A bad petcock will shut off even in prime.
the diaphragm gets hard and that flimsy little bypass lever can't open it.

WWW   IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/21/20 at 14:24:29

What I'm really trying to figure out is if my engine is blown or if it's some other reason for not running and I may be able to get it going again. So if the engine isnt seized is that likely not the problem or could it have gotten internal damage from low oil and then died on the highway from that? Sorry if I sound like a noob I have no idea about anything engine related really.

IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/21/20 at 14:28:29

The petcock was still leaking oil out in prime so I believe it still had fuel. It wasnt noisy when it died on the highway however.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #11 - 04/21/20 at 17:01:55

Dump the old gas.
Install a Yamaha Raptor Petcock (put a cap on the vacuum port on the carb)
Fill with fresh gas
New oil filter (don't put it in on backwards - because it will fit that way)
Fresh oil
Check the air filter while you're at it

Check if she starts (make sure the kill-switch isn't off)

Does it try to start?

If it doesn't try to start then chase down an electrical problem (safety switches, battery etc)

If it tries to start but won't, then stop trying to start it (you'll burn out the starter)
Chase down any fuel issues (tuning, float level, blocked jet etc)

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/21/20 at 19:06:08

IslandRoad wrote on 04/21/20 at 17:01:55:
Dump the old gas.
Install a Yamaha Raptor Petcock (put a cap on the vacuum port on the carb)
Fill with fresh gas
New oil filter (don't put it in on backwards - because it will fit that way)
Fresh oil
Check the air filter while you're at it

Check if she starts (make sure the kill-switch isn't off)

Does it try to start?

If it doesn't try to start then chase down an electrical problem (safety switches, battery etc)

If it tries to start but won't, then stop trying to start it (you'll burn out the starter)
Chase down any fuel issues (tuning, float level, blocked jet etc)
-------------

Great advise except I wouldn't waste my money on an oil change until it starts up after you replace that faulty petcock!  Wink  (But make sure you add enough oil to get it at least halfway up the glass when the bike is straight up. And take note of how much oil that is.  The bike holds a little less than two quarts.  Hopeful you need less than a quart, quart and a half. Shocked )

Hopefully that's all it is.

If you ran it out of oil you would have either seized it up, fried the rings, or destroyed the lower bearings.

If it sized up, you would have known.  It the motor would have ground to a halt and locked up the rear wheel.  You would need to pull in the clutch the compensate.  

If you fired the rings it would have probably kept running and then refused to restart after it cooled off.  Unless the piston crown failed and munched up.  You would have heard that.  Same with broken valves.

Lower bearings just make a lot of noise, like a big hammer in the bottom of the engine, but the engine can run for a long time with bad main bearings (and cause a lot of damage to the crankshaft, rod and wrist pin in the process). 

IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/22/20 at 08:05:31

So I drained whatever oil there was in the engine today and this is what came out, only about a pint  and a half of oil if I had to guess.... any way an engine could run or that or am I screwed?

Snapchat-449098437.jpg
  IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/22/20 at 08:16:17

If the engine seized up would it still turn over when trying to start afterwards?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:32:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help me find out if my engine is blown

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.