Send Topic Print
The sidecar bike (Read 98 times)
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
The sidecar bike
04/19/20 at 15:17:27

I finally got around to working on the S40 I bought last fall to use with the sidecar I had left over from the shop fire.

I need to do a bunch of maintenance since the bike sat for a few years with fuel in it. It’s a 2011 with only 5000 miles on it.

I have a Harley pipe for it but won’t put that on until I get it running.

I took the carb of to clean and rejet it. What a pain.

I couldn’t get the tank off without taking the petcock off. I am putting the Raptor petcock on so I guess no big deal. I couldn’t get the carb to move in the boot so instead of wrestling with it forever I took the battery box off and the carb came right out. I got the bowl screws loose but have two of the slide cover screws that won’t come out. Tried impact with no luck. I’ve got it soaking in penetrating oil right now. Any tips for getting these screws out appreciated.

Carb has a shiny black laqeur build up on components. The slide is stuck. Going to need a good soaking

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: The sidecar bike
Reply #1 - 04/19/20 at 15:56:55

On the screws, first off plan on replacing all of them with stainless allen heads. You will be glad you did.

As a last resort, if they are stripped you can dremel a slit in the top to try breaking them loose with a standard screwdriver.

Remember, the factory screws are JIS, not US phillips so using the wrong driver can lead to stripping pretty quickly.

Good luck!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #2 - 04/19/20 at 18:02:18

stewmills wrote on 04/19/20 at 15:56:55:
On the screws, first off plan on replacing all of them with stainless allen heads. You will be glad you did.

As a last resort, if they are stripped you can dremel a slit in the top to try breaking them loose with a standard screwdriver.

Remember, the factory screws are JIS, not US phillips so using the wrong driver can lead to stripping pretty quickly.

Good luck!

Thanks. I have the right screwdrivers. Been working on bikes for years. I will be replacing with Allen heads.

Hadn’t thought about a dermel. Will try that tomorrow...thanks!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 04/19/20 at 18:40:46

Just remember on the dremel, the more you slice the more you start to create two halves of the head connected by what is left. Too much dremel and then too much torque on the head can shear off some of it leaving you in a pickle.

I had a similar deal on my ninja and ended up with one stripped thread after all was said and done, but luckily I had clearance to add a lock washer and nut on that corner and it held good.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #4 - 04/19/20 at 19:49:28

Well, if it all goes south it will give me a reason to buy a better carb.  Grin

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 04/20/20 at 15:06:49

Don't remove the black coating on the slide it's a factory coating.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 04/20/20 at 17:04:44

For removing the screws on top of the carb. If the head is still intact, vice grips provide a great deal of torque.

After removal replace with s.s. Allen head screws as was suggested by everybody.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 06:17:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The sidecar bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.