Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Re: The Ratchet Effect
Reply #15 - 04/24/20 at 16:18:49

Eegore wrote on 04/20/20 at 10:38:50:
  All of them receive surgery

The below is just the tip of the iceberg.
And a simple search gained multiple page's full of examples.

“… New York state just issued a drastic new guideline urging emergency services workers not to bother trying to revive anyone without a pulse when they get to a scene, amid an overload of coronavirus patients …”
“… The state Health Department insists that its new guideline has been in use “in many areas of the US as well as other locations throughout the world” …"

https://nypost.com/2020/04/21/ny-issues-do-not-resuscitate-guideline-for-card...

“ ...San Francisco Bay Area surgeon Mary Cardoza is juggling multiple breast cancer patients. But she can’t operate on any of them. Breast cancer  surgery, it turns out, is considered an elective procedure — now put on hold as hospitals focus on COVID-19 cases….”
“ … Cancer Surgeries and Organ Transplants Are Being Put Off for Coronavirus.  …”

https://www.propublica.org/article/cancer-surgeries-and-open-transplants-are-...

“… Ontario hospitals warn COVID-19 trumps cancer care in event of outbreak …”
“… At the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Canada’s largest, oncologists are already combing through their files, searching for appointments that can be postponed…."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ontario-hospitals-warn-covid-1...

"... Alison Krupnick had surgery scheduled to remove early stage cervical cancer, but because of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, her surgery was being postponed indefinitely to keep hospital beds open. ..."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/us/coronavirus-covid-surgeries-canceled.html

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/24/20 at 17:08:36

Other than some of the cancer patients, which is not happening where I am thankfully, are not what you described when I responded.

"Always wondered what happens to those people that need immediate bypass Heart surgery, who die because the beds are needed ?"

To me, you describe a surgery that is required now, as in immediately and not later.  I don't see examples of people with immediate requirements for surgery being denied and left to die in a waiting room because they might have SARS-COV-2 patients show up.  I can't say this has not happened, but I see no evidence of it happening.  

"In hospitals with heavy COVID-19 caseloads — those with no spare ventilators or ICU capacity — it urges that all surgical procedures be avoided unless the patient is likely to die within the next few hours or days."

Requires no availability, not cancellation based off of patients that might arrive at a later time.  

Your links repeat what I already said when I responded the first time: "At most I could see a lack of staff, or surgical equipment"  This is happening, but denials of care based off of potential patients I do not see evidence of.

Canada's health care and legal system is not similar enough to ours for me to comment on.

The cancer care issue does need addressed.  

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #17 - 04/27/20 at 09:11:43

Eegore wrote on 04/20/20 at 10:38:50:
 All of them receive surgery.

"... Newsom also announced plans Wednesday
to allow hospitals and health systems to resume delayed medical care such as heart valve replacements, angioplasty and tumor removals,
which were deferred as the health care system prepared for a surge of COVID-19 patients..."

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/494242-newsom-wants-to-train-10000-c...

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/27/20 at 09:44:19

"To me, you describe a surgery that is required now, as in immediately and not later."

You present another example of surgeries that did not require immediate intervention.

You do know "elective" surgery means any surgery that is scheduled right?  You present a concern about people who will die without immediate care, then reference people who are alive.  Alive.

"immediate bypass Heart surgery" = Your words.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #19 - 04/27/20 at 12:43:58

Eegore wrote on 04/27/20 at 09:44:19:
" ... "elective" surgery means any surgery that is scheduled ..."

Again: "elective" surgery means any surgery that is scheduled

So little Johnny’s gramps, has a Heart Attack late one afternoon,
he is taken to the ER, he is stabilized,
and surgery is, ‘Scheduled’ for first thing the next morning.

Little Johnny’s mother has a Lump on her breast,
Test came back,
and she is, ‘Scheduled’, for surgery the next day.

Could do a whole bunch more.
Point is in this case,
that word, ‘Scheduled’, is sure a convent word !

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/27/20 at 17:36:45

"So little Johnny’s gramps, has a Heart Attack late one afternoon,
he is taken to the ER, he is stabilized,
and surgery is, ‘Scheduled’ for first thing the next morning."

You provided no examples in your links of anything like this happening.  By your logic EMS calling Central Supply indicating a pacemaker is failing and to prepare replacement is "scheduled" and therefore elective.  That is clearly imminent and life-saving.  Nothing like that is in the material you presented.

An ED doctor calls a cardiac surgeon and requests they meet a patient in 15 minutes inside the OR is "scheduled".  Two CPR certified people come up on a car wreck, they get out and one says to the other, "meet me by the driver side door" that is "scheduled".  

Again nothing like that is in the material you presented.

"Little Johnny’s mother has a Lump on her breast,
Test came back,
and she is, ‘Scheduled’, for surgery the next day."

Yeah.  I said the cancer situation is being poorly managed in some locations.

Are some policies implemented poorly?  Absolutely, but that doesn't mean we need to exaggerate things to the point of saying someone in need of "immediate bypass Heart surgery" - your words, is being denied and left to die in a waiting room because SARS-COV-2 patients might show up.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #21 - 04/27/20 at 18:06:04

Eegore wrote on 04/27/20 at 09:44:19:
 " ...  You do know "elective" surgery means any
surgery that is scheduled ..."

Just so I have this correct;
ALL Surgery is Scheduled.
ALL Scheduled Surgery is Elective.
ALL Elective Surgery, can be dropped, at any time, for any reason.

OK Got it.
I'll just make sure all the hospital Administrators,
and the Governors of many States also have it.
 Oh Wait, they already do !

"...  her surgery was being postponed indefinitely to keep hospital beds open. ..."

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/27/20 at 18:17:58

"ALL Surgery is Scheduled.
ALL Scheduled Surgery is Elective.
ALL Elective Surgery, can be dropped, at any time, for any reason."

Wrong.  What I am saying is anything that isn't a spontaneous reflex can be called "scheduled" and none of that applies to what you originally posted.

This is how you exaggerate so you can complain.  Some might call it "spin".  You provide links with zero examples of the situation you presented, and that is someone needing "Immediate" surgery because SARS-COV-2 patients might show up.

Again, policies aren't being applied universally in the best way, but to claim what you are above is very obviously an over-statement to somehow prove your point.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:25:00

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › The Ratchet Effect

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.