Too scared to ride (Read 105 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Too scared to ride
04/15/20 at 14:17:55

I am one of those guys that is still going in to work every day. The weather has been beautiful lately but I'm not riding in to work. Here in Houston they have closed the HOV lanes. Traffic is probably down by a good 40 to 50% but the cars on the road are now traveling much faster and it seems the percentage of idiot drivers has actually increased. I was actually forced off the highway yesterday by another car (thank God I was in my car). When I was leaving this morning my wife asks me if I'm taking the motorcycle, and I say no way, too many crazies on the road. Angry

Hopefully we will have nice weekend weather.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Too scared to ride
Reply #1 - 04/15/20 at 14:27:46

Yup, same here, but the car pool lanes are still open.
And the cops are no where to be found.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/15/20 at 15:51:55

I work with the local police, and they are being far more lenient and they are distancing themselves as well.  They still make stops for serious offenses - but one officer told me his 10 mph grace has been extended to 20mph.

I only drive 9 miles to work and it is just a bit before 6AM.  Traffic is pretty normal in speed and volume - it appears to be the local blue collar folks and there is a lot of contractor trucks, HVAC/Electrician/Plumbing contractors, etc.  Seems the folks in the building trades have not changed their schedule much.

On the few times I have had to drive into Cincinnati, I have noticed the traffic volume is way down, and the mall parking lots are empty.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 04/15/20 at 16:48:36

I haven't had a bike out yet because it's still too cold here. In fact it's snowing lightly right now and tonight's low is supposed to be in the mid twentys. Couple of days ago we got enough snow overnight to require brushing off the glass on the cars.

My county is on an "essential travel only, stay home" lockdown so the traffic volume - which isn't very heavy in normal times - is way down. I haven't seen any unusual craziness when I have been out though. I hit the supermarket about once a week and I drive a few miles to a local park where my dog and I take a walk every morning, and the folks that I encounter are still driving at normal speeds.

I haven't been on any of the local expressways for over a month though so I don't know what they look like.

I did notice a week or so ago that the local channel that I watch the morning news on has stopped bothering with their morning traffic report.

I'm anxiously awaiting some nice weather so I can get out for a ride.  

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/15/20 at 17:40:28

Too cold here to ride yet, it has been snowing on and off several times this week.  But if it were warm I still wouldn't ride because of what you guys are observing, people driving like idiots, silver haired drivers included.  It's like the governor said stay put and all traffic rules are suspended.  People drive up to red lights, look around, and drive right through.  I drove to the post office which is a 4 mile round trip and nearly got hit three times by people not observing traffic laws!  

Hope everyone is well and I am looking forward to the day we can return to our normal lives.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/15/20 at 19:25:42

Here we've noticed the same thing - seems like people believe traffic laws have been suspended. 60 in a 35 zone, blatantly drive thru red lights, illegal left turns, no enforcement to be found. Kind of reminds me of the first Mad Max video - chaos. Yesterday, tooling along at 40 in a 35 zone, a crotch rocket shoots by me barely changing lanes. Hour after hour, we hear the sirens of the FD and Paramedics. Combine that with the increase in drug and alcohol use, and we're giving Corona Virus a run for it's money.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/15/20 at 20:06:52

Well, unless people3 SAY where
Here is,, nobody knows,,
In Longview Texas, traffic is calm, minimum and really easy. If I had a bike, I would be riding

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/16/20 at 09:13:20

Maybe I should not have complained because now I have a cold and for everyone's safety I did not go in to work today. No, my complaints are actually observations, people are driving like loonies. Ya'll stay safe.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 04/17/20 at 23:39:22

Not counting this spring, based on the last 3 years, Saturday & Sunday are the safest days.
This spring, the surprise element is not having a place to grab a coffee and TAKE A DUMP !
All McDs are closed and I can't balance a coffee on my bike at the drive-thru.
Major Bummer!
US states have proper rest stations, not the case here. At 76, I need to plan ahead, Boy Scout training never leaves you !
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 04/18/20 at 21:29:57

Maybe I should not have complained because now I have a cold and for everyone's safety I did not go in to work today. No, my complaints are actually observations, people are driving like loonies. Ya'll stay safe.  

Yea , I understand in a lot of country's , the interstates have cameras to take pictures of the crazy folks and then mail them a speeding ticket .    I'm beginning to like the Idea --- especially after some jerk fly's around me doing 80 mph in a 60 zone .     I mean , if ya don't think the speed limit is reasonable then go to the county meeting and gripe about it !    Then the jerk who is driving crazy causes a wreck and we all get stuck in a traffic jam .    Yea , mail them their ticket !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #10 - 04/19/20 at 06:22:41

Alot more bikes on the streets by me lately. Lots of out of work people with nothing better to do I imagine. Cager traffic is down about 30% during the day and maybe 70% at night. What I can't get used to is all the quiet with the reduction in air traffic. Planes are normally so frequent this close to the airport you stop noticing them. But I'm sure noticing their absence.

As usual I rode all winter, mostly on my Ducati. Took it to the shop in early February to have the heated grips installed but then the rest of the winter was so mild I hardly used them. But now that I'm working from home with a voluntary unpaid leave day per week and a 15% percent salary cut I haven't been commuting on the interstate. And each time I ride over it on local roads it's spooky empty. My stretch of it has long been a playground for sportbike riders and you can hear them howling away up there all night long. Now those riders have it all to themselves.
For my joy rides I've been sticking to the backroads that I enjoy most but lately there's more traffic than usual on them. Slow moving sight seeing traffic and all the little parks out there have overflowing parking lots.

I guess I'm going to have to join the sportys on I95 and 495 for my fun. Can't enjoy the backroads anymore  Undecided

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 22:48:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Too scared to ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.