Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Working paper on Tariffs (Read 46 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Working paper on Tariffs
04/14/20 at 17:46:30

Don't reckon the tariffs went far enough?...

Abstract:
This paper explores the impacts of the Trump administration’s trade policy on prices and welfare. Over the course of 2018, the U.S. experienced substantial increases in the prices of intermediates and final goods, dramatic changes to its supply-chain network, reductions in availability of imported varieties, and complete passthrough of the tariffs into domestic prices of imported goods.

Overall, using standard economic methods, we find that the full incidence of the tariff falls on domestic consumers, with a reduction in U.S. real income of $1.4 billion per month by the end of 2018. We also see similar patterns for foreign countries who have retaliated against the U.S., which indicates that the trade war also reduced real income for other countries.

Full report https://www.nber.org/papers/w25672.pdf

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Working paper on Tariffs
Reply #1 - 04/14/20 at 17:57:32

Yea we don't give a shiitttete - Bicycle factories, wasing machine factories and everything else has sprung up around here. Look up BCA - Bicyle corporation of America just to name 1.

The idea isn't to make china pay more $$$ to us, its to kill china's price manipulation advantage in labor, where they eat bats and work for nothing cos else they'd be in jail and work till they're dead anyway. The miracle of a slave camp baby. You live free and work for nothing happy, or you work for nothing and die in the process all bitter and angry. Slave president Xi likes either option.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #2 - 04/14/20 at 21:22:17

What part of 'tariffs are a tax on Americans' are you having difficulty with?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 04/15/20 at 05:47:33

eau de sauvage wrote on 04/14/20 at 21:22:17:
What part of 'tariffs are a tax on Americans' are you having difficulty with?

Tarriffs are a tax on americans that buy chinese crap - not all americans.

Tarriffs make Chinese things more $$$ for Americans to buy. So American made stuff competes better, and since there isn't enough of that, more factories (or assembly plants in the case of BCA) are built.

I have a trucker neighbor who is gay, black, ex NY'er and a huge critique of everything Trump does. He drives for walmart. One fine day we're discussing bicycles and I tell him Kent is a BCA brand etc, and he goes, Yea I've picked up loads from there. So I ask him Oh really, when was that, and he said earlier this year - would have been April-may 2019 cos we were talking in sept 2019. I asked him have you picked up from there before. He says no. He's been with Walmart since 2011 or so. I said - That's cos the tariffs got those assembly works back to US. He literally looked like I had slapped him. That's what Tarriffs do. They also in a smaller scale help people who sell used stuff, people who fix stuff and keep crap out of landfills a lot better. I fixed and sold several - about 12 bikes in the time tarrifs were in place, entirely cos a $50 or $75 or 100 used bike is a better deal than a $200 new due to tariffs. Not to mention far far far greener and what can be cooler than a 70's bike that's been tuned to run like new vs a Chinese one that needs that same tune (which also I have done) to a new bike cos its squeaking and grinding.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/15/20 at 06:25:51

srinath wrote on 04/15/20 at 05:47:33:
Tarriffs make Chinese things more $$$ for Americans to buy. So American made stuff competes better, and since there isn't enough of that, more factories (or assembly plants in the case of BCA) are built.

Cool.
Srinath.

"Some thought it would never happen again. But in 2013, we officially broke ground at our new factory in Manning, South Carolina. Since then, BCA has produced over 500,000 bicycles and employed over 100 people.
"

Thanking Obama for that one?... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 04/15/20 at 07:12:16

Serowbot wrote on 04/15/20 at 06:25:51:
srinath wrote on 04/15/20 at 05:47:33:

Cool.
Srinath.

"Some thought it would never happen again. But in 2013, we officially broke ground at our new factory in Manning, South Carolina. Since then, BCA has produced over 500,000 bicycles and employed over 100 people.
"

Thanking Obama for that one?... Cool

The factory he was talking about was in Ohio I thought. However for this one I'm thanking - Walmart - Inspite of Obama - LOL - The opening line of BCA's site says what you need to know - It is -

In 2013 Kent International, inspired by WalMart’s commitment to bring Made in America goods back to its shelves, decided to secure a large facility in Clarendon County, South Carolina. Kent began a bicycle assembly program under the name Bicycle Corportation of America. That assembly program will eventually give way to full blown bicycle manufactuing factory. In Fall of 2016, powder coating will be operational, and in 2017 plans for frame, wheel and handlebar welding operations are in the works.

BCA is committed to building quality bicycles using as much domestic product as possible in their construction, including tooling up to make parts previously only available outside the US. This provides hundreds of jobs and a great opportunity for the talented employees in South Carolina.

So In spite of Obama's non tariffs.
BCA has been expanding and producing more - that is before the china virus hit and they really benefitted from the tariffs under Trump really expanding and making more in house.

Unless you want to show me how Obama helped (other than saying you didn't build that - Which BTW I don't disagree with entirely - He could have worded it better - you didn't build that all by yourself, you build it with the help of these 1000 people educated in schools and colleges funded atleast partially by the federal, local and state govts)

Anyway, I want American made - cost more - I don't care. The quality is night and day. I'd rather have 1 solid and well fitted bicycle than a 100 POS'es like this Triax that I paid $105 for, had a recall 5 yrs later and those fools tried to pass off a pre paid card for $105 to Target (where I originally bought but was no longer a big fan of).

You understand quality I'm sure. You've owned a savage, not sure if you have looked at a similar Chinese POS. They had several 1000 competitors. The Chinese have been ripping off jap bikes for decades, they made a ZX7 copy in the mid 90's called a Zongshen 750. All pieces of garbage. This scourge of Chinese made garbage has to stop, and they wont change, so we avoid them.

Tarriffs are there to change people's behavior, both the builders/manufacturers as well as buyers/users. China Virus needs more Tarriffs. Any BS that says it hurts American people is bull crap because soon we'll have a 1000 more BCA's and we'll import better stuff, savage vs Zongshet - no contest.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/15/20 at 07:40:36

"This scourge of Chinese made garbage has to stop, and they wont change, so we avoid them."

I agree.  The problem is saying we have too much garbage, then going out and purchasing garbage.

However this presents another issue and that is general affordability.  People living check to check have no choice.  Then we get into the whole increased minimum wage arguments, quality versus cost of healthcare etc. etc.

One issue for sure that should be addressed is the Universal Postal Union and the continued lower classification for China.  Trump did a good job in my opinion in regards to getting the discussion started and the ball rolling.  

https://redstagfulfillment.com/universal-postal-union-treaty/

You ever wonder why it costs $2.99 USD to buy a phone charger but $26.99 to send it back for replacement or repair?  Universal Postal Union.

This is a major player in the we don't want garbage but we buy garbage issue.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 04/15/20 at 07:56:38

Eegore wrote on 04/15/20 at 07:40:36:
"This scourge of Chinese made garbage has to stop, and they wont change, so we avoid them."

I agree.  The problem is saying we have too much garbage, then going out and purchasing garbage.

However this presents another issue and that is general affordability.  People living check to check have no choice.  Then we get into the whole increased minimum wage arguments, quality versus cost of healthcare etc. etc.

One issue for sure that should be addressed is the Universal Postal Union and the continued lower classification for China.  Trump did a good job in my opinion in regards to getting the discussion started and the ball rolling.  

https://redstagfulfillment.com/universal-postal-union-treaty/

You ever wonder why it costs $2.99 USD to buy a phone charger but $26.99 to send it back for replacement or repair?  Universal Postal Union.

This is a major player in the we don't want garbage but we buy garbage issue.

Well (the part in magenta) that's the classic libtard way. Subsidize everything and tax etc etc.
Here is a different way to look at it.
Throw out all the illegals and H1's. Make everything we need and stop buying garbage from China. Lets see if wages don't rise, cost of living doesn't drop, school funding improves, education system gets better, college costs drop, and no need to regulate minimum wage or subsidize shittete.

Yea postal union BS gotta die too. Yes trump did a good job on that, but tariffs go a miniscule way, deporting a few illegals did very little, squeezing the H1 abusers did very little. The corona virus unemployment is going to hit the 20% mark soon, and its the best bet to kill off H1's. Of course someone like AOC will talk to "business leaders" who will want to "expand the economy" by letting in more H1 and more illegals with a "path to citizenship".

I came to the US in 92 - right at the depths of what was a big recession - which oddly enough I didn't know what it even was. Worse yet, I was brought to do labor in a factory - WTF ??? There weren't unemployed factory workers in 92 ???? Only about 15 million of them. But nooooo They had to import people. The whole concept is stupid. But Corporations and big businesses write immigration and nearly all other laws. Of late, its not even been American businesses, its been China acting on behalf of their businesses. That has to stop.

Now for the universal postal union - How do they claim the item is in the US and it still is not subject to the postal rates ? I've received stuff shipped from a few 100 - 1000 miles out where it would cost me 75% of the price to send it back. I'm almost sure china is subsidizing part of that atleast.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/15/20 at 08:01:53

"How do they claim the item is in the US and it still is not subject to the postal rates ?"

Well that's the purpose of the UPU to begin with.  Standardization, to a degree, to keep countries from arbitrarily altering rates to capitalize or eliminate certain trade.  Don't like it?  Don't take part.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 04/15/20 at 08:16:44

Eegore wrote on 04/15/20 at 08:01:53:
"How do they claim the item is in the US and it still is not subject to the postal rates ?"

Well that's the purpose of the UPU to begin with.  Standardization, to a degree, to keep countries from arbitrarily altering rates to capitalize or eliminate certain trade.  Don't like it?  Don't take part.

Actually I don't believe so. UPU is for shipping from China and by USPS. I think if its inside the US - having been containered over here - its subject to regular shipping rates even if it was USPS, but they send UPS or fedex too. Those are never UPU.
Now I have noticed the US stock stuff is more $$, but not a lot. Its possible its just cheaper to ship than I do because I never try all the options like UPS, USPS fedex ground etc etc, if you're a warehouse and have a "pick up" contract, I'm nearly certain UPS or fed ex will give you a discount because they deliver/pickup in 1 stop and you don't take up 45 mins of someone's time at the counter talking to them. In a way it makes sense they get a big $$$ break.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:41:56

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Working paper on Tariffs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.