1988 decompression (Read 69 times)
rednotwrite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1988 decompression
04/14/20 at 13:23:45

Hi from the UK,
I have a 1988 LS650, bought as a barn find to do up, it has a decompression unit problem, firstly it doesn,t have a clutch interlock switch on the clutch lever but when you press the starter the bike turns over and starts ok, the decomp solenoid does not pull in, what is the starting sequence , is it turn on ignition, press starter and should the decomp pull in and then close the valve and the engine runs, I have checked the solenoid by putting 12v across it and it moves in and out, I think it might be the control unit.

Thanks for any info

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 1988 decompression
Reply #1 - 04/14/20 at 13:33:44

You press the starter button, the decomp pulls in, the starter engages then the decomp releases about a half second later.

The decomp controller is above the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
rednotwrite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/14/20 at 13:43:54

Thanks for your reply verslagen1, I have tried checking the control unit as per the service manual, timer 1 may be the problem as I cannot see 12v, or could it be that 0.7 is too fast to see a voltage on my meter, timer 2 seems to test ok, is this a common fault and possibly the problem.

Thanks

IP Logged
rednotwrite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/14/20 at 13:50:19

Also may not be related, it starts ok with a new battery but struggles after a day, could a faulty decomp drain the battery??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/14/20 at 13:51:16

We don't hear many failures of that type.

Most of the time it's adjusted too tight, this will pull the solenoid too far apart to activate.  You should be able to pull the lever down till it almost hits the back plate stop.

We have heard a few times that in the middle of the night the bike has launched itself into a wall or has fallen over with the starter still spinning.  This is caused by the controller being flooded with water corroding some of the components.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/14/20 at 13:53:23

rednotwrite wrote on 04/14/20 at 13:50:19:
Also may not be related, it starts ok with a new battery but struggles after a day, could a faulty decomp drain the battery??

Yes it might, it's directly connected to the battery and on all the time.

WWW   IP Logged
rednotwrite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/14/20 at 14:01:54

I have put 12v across the two wires that go directly to the solenoid and it moves the cable /solenoid so can,t see the cable being too tight but will check cable freeplay.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 04/15/20 at 22:27:58

Did you check the fuse ? 2 fuses , 1 fuse for decomp and 1 fuse for everything else. Think they are both 20 amp.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
rednotwrite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/22/20 at 12:30:27

Update on the decompression problem, I have changed the control unit and each time I press the starter the decomp solenoid pulls in and the cable lifts  on the head, so looks like the unit was the cause, just for info although my battery is not fully charged, with the old control unit connected the solenoid was intermittent in moving and with the new unit it moves every time, I will let you know how I get on with the battery to see if the control unit was draining the battery once its fully charged.

Thanks for all your input

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/22/20 at 12:46:21

If you didn't locate and solve the problem,, it sure sounds promising.. I'm goin out on a limb and just saying
Good Job,, Cuz I think you won it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 06:38:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1988 decompression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.